Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,908 Posts
Yippee!
The OlliW gyromixer is coming to the community ...

... IF the community wants this!!

This is the chance for all guys interested to get one of OlliW's GA250 gyromixers. They can be used for brushless setups (that was the main intention) but also for brushed setups if combined with brushed ESCs! (which has been successfully done on a BOL in Germany)

Olli does not want this development to become a FOR profit item. However, as not everybody has the means necessary to successfully replicate this project (may that be a lack of time, maybe of patience, maybe a certain skill set ... just not the immediate ability to do that him/her - self) I could convince Olli to "produce" a small batch that is available on pre-order and will be distributed through me.

The cost for the parts would be the cost for the material and the cost for the shipping. Once it can be determined more exactly how much those shipping costs are I will let everybody who expressed general interest know what the "final" price for production is.
As Olli wants this to be a truly noncommercial item, there will be no mark-up beyond the costs I mentioned, and you will get this part basically for free once all material- and shipping cost is deducted. Making one of these mixers takes about 45 minutes and the "manufacturer" does this in his spare time, which is limited by many obligations. Also, please consider that the job is done by someone who does not have a minimum wage job. So everybody who finally placed an order may include a donation according to their liking

The complete project consists of three hardware items, listed next together with the best current estimate of the costs:

1) GA250 gyromixer ca. $17 (material + shipping HK-GE + GE taxes)

2) USB programming adapter ca. $13 (material + shipping within and/or to GE)

3) Programming box ca. $25 (material + shipping within GE)

To these costs add those for shiping the items from GE to US, and for shipping them within the the US.

The USB programming adapter allows setting the parameters of the gyromixer via a Windows GUI program and is needed to update the firmware. The programming box allows to set the parameters of the gyromixer in-field. You can find all tech details in the gyromixer thread.

For operation of the gyromixer you will need either one USB programming adapter or one programming box!

For a complete brushless or brushed conversion of your coaxial you will of course also need the appropriate ESCs, and in case of a brushless setup also the motors, pinions etc..

You can now "pre-order" the items you like to get here.

The further steps will be as follows: The GA250's are on backorder at HK at the moment, so once these become available we will tell you the actual costs and ask for a binding order. Olli will then order the materials he needs. It may take about 3 weeks to get them. He will then do the building, for which we estimate 2 to 3 weeks, and ship things over to the US which may take another 3 weeks. I will then send them to you, for which you should estimate another week. Hence, this project has to be expected to have a rather extensive time frame.

If you have any further questions on technical aspects or the details of the handling of the orders you are welcome to ask them here.

Please recall that this is an effort from private persons for private persons. There will be absolutely no warranty or liability from our side.

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
The journey is the destination
United States, CA, Loma Linda
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
I am interested in one. I was going to try making one myself but this might speed the process up.
Skills4life is offline Find More Posts by Skills4life
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:08 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
As a guy who has built several of these I can highly recommend them. Especially with the new way Olli and Sven are going to market (offer at cost) these. These come pre programmed and in some cases might just seat right into the brushless system you are using and even function with the average gain setting programmed in by OlliW.
The field programmer will allow you do use live field settings while playing with the original setup of your gyro gain settings. Other than that, you then must do all your setup work with a TTL adaptor and usb link that is run by a downloaded program that is in your computer. It is a very simple easy to understand program. This will be the other method if not using the field programmer or Robibox.
I have flown one of the prototype versions of this. The tail of my highly modded Cx is locked in tight, with either HH mode or Rate mode.
The benefits of this mod are threefold. One, it replaces the separate Vtail controller needed, even the Dionysus coaxial mixer that costs $25 all by itself and which still requires a separate piezo gyro to function correctly. Unlike the gyromixer that is a single unit. The DD mixer being the better vtail mixer to use above common vtail mixers, since it is geared up towards coaxial motor function instead of servo function like a normal vtail mixer. Two, the gyromixer uses a much superior memms gyro. The benefits of this are fairly self evident. And the gyro itself is incredibly small and light weight. And again contains a highly programmable vtail mixer within itself.
Three, this system is multi adjustable on several fronts. You can change most of its base values to use any esc with it that is compatible with the amperage draw of your chosen motors. The rest of the programmable values are exciting but not needed for most simple coaxial brushless applications so I won't get into this here. I asked OlliW to contact Sven and create a way that the common enthusiast can obtain one of these with a proven distribution source such as HeliDeluxe can provide. My interest in this was in getting these amazing gyromixers into the hands of the common enthusiast that doesn't have the innate ability to program and build these in the necessary steps that it took me to overcome in building my own from scratch as needed. Much thanks for Olli's guidance during my building process is needed here.
Keep in mind, for those who are interested. This was originally designed as a DIY setup. And it is being offered on an at cost basis. No profits are being seen by OlliW nor by E2 in providing these. This was the single contingent basis of offering these to the public.
And much why there is no negligible warranty. A warranty would imply that a profit is made. As such in this offering since this is as an at cost basis it is a service to those who are interested in the sport of this hobby. It is my opinion that this mod will eventually replace all Vtail mixer brushless mods as seen in my thread here and in the Lama brushless mod thread. Especially in figuring out the overall cost of the individual project in comparison with the offered cost of this gyromixer. It is much cheaper, and much more effective.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331390

Randy
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Dec 15, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Great!

I would like 2 of them.

Thank you folks to make this available to electronic autists like me
robins22 is offline Find More Posts by robins22
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
I definitely want one of OlliW's GA250 gyromixers.

I have a question about getting either the USB programming adapter or one programming box!
I seem understand that if I get the USB programming adapter, I will need the computer software to use it and if so, How or where will I get this software program?
Secondly am I correct in assuming that the only advantage or difference between using the USB programming adapter or one programming box is that the programming box will require nothing else, and is more portable and can more easily be taken outside with the heli for making adjustments?

Although I haven't been active on the coaxial thread I have been reading and learning from you guys. I have to say that I appreciate very much the information that you have contributed and shared.
Bern
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:44 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey All, glad to see that some are interested.

I kindly would ask you to tell more specifically what you like to get, maybe let's use this format

1 x gyromixer,
0 x usb adapter
0 x box

cheers, Olli
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:04 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Bern (or Ben?)

"I seem understand that if I get the USB programming adapter, I will need the computer software to use it"
yes

"How or where will I get this software program?"
from my GA250 gyromixer web site, the gyromixer thread here at rcgroups, or once this becomes relevant we may place it here.

"Secondly am I correct in assuming that the ... difference between using the USB programming adapter or one programming box is that the programming box will require nothing else, and is more portable ... for making adjustments?"
yes, mainly. (PS: I eliminated the text parts on the advantages/disadvantages because everyone has her/his own set of thoughts here. )

The usage is different in several aspects for the usb-adpater + Windows PC program and the programming box options. As a general thing, the programming box allows a faster tunning of the parameters because the repeated steps of setting a value and checking its effect in flight is faster. However, the Windows PC provides a better overview of your setting, allows you to store for later use and retrieve settings and so on. At the end of the day I think it's personal preference. For instance Randy seems to like better the box, I also do lik eit better, Tommy@LA from the German forum seems to like better the Windows program. It's of course also a question of money, I think the box is quite cheap for what it does (in particular if you compare to the prices of programming boxes for other gyros), but it adds another 25$ or so...

cheers, Olli
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
2 x gyromixer,
1 x usb adapter
0 x box

Hey Olly

Is your mixer also available as finished product?

PS: I have a new GA250 gyro I could send to you from germany (I live right next to german border)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:29 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Upgraded on request of my coax fellows:

4 x gyromixer,
1 x usb adapter
0 x box
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
Hey All, glad to see that some are interested.
I kindly would ask you to tell more specifically what you like to get,
cheers, Olli
Yes, to update my previous request, I would like to get:
1 x gyromixer,
1 x box

Thank you Olli for explaining the differences between getting the USB Adapter and or the programming box. For anyone who would like a more in depth explanation I found the information by Olli here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450125

Bern
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:14 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
the GA250 are now available again at HK...

LAST CALL, who wants to have one should tell now

We summarize so far:
Skills4life: 1x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 0x box
robins22: 4x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 0x box
bebev: 1x gyromixer, 0x usb adapter, 1x box

@Bern: you are aware that you would need a usb adapter for updating the firmware? Your order is perfectly fine, but I just want to ensure that you won't be surprised
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Order update:
Skills4life: 2x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 0x box
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Quote:
the GA250 are now available again at HK...

LAST CALL, who wants to have one should tell now

We summarize so far:
Skills4life: 1x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 0x box
bebev: 1x gyromixer, 0x usb adapter, 1x box

@Bern: you are aware that you would need a usb adapter for updating the firmware? Your order is perfectly fine, but I just want to ensure that you won't be surprised
No I didn't realize that I would still need the USB adapter.
Might as well include it then to revise my order>

bebev: 1x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 1x box.
Bern
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hye Bern, I am not sure we managed to explain this properly:
Many of the newer rc electronics allow you to update the firmware AFTER you have bought the device. So, the electronics is working perfectly fine at the point you buy it, however, if the manufacturer provides a firmware update later on you can install it and are hence always up to date.
So it is here, If you have the gyromixer and the programming box, you can use the gyromixer without any restrictions. However, if at a later point an update of the firmware becomes available you would need the usb adapter for installing it.
So, you don't need it. I recommend however to have it. The firmware is used by three people so far, and is beyond the "teething troubles stage", however, future improvments I consider still likely. For instance, so far the firmware is tested for spektrum and ESky recievers, and it is written such that it is supposed to work with any reciever, but since it is (obviously ) beyond my budget to test it for all recievers it may happen that it doesen't work for your reciever but could be solved by modifying the firmware... but you couldn't install it. My consideration is: with any new user a new unexpected problem may occur, which, however, may be solved by a new firmware. For installing it one would need the usb adapter.
So, chances are that eventually you like to get an adapter. Building it requires only basic soldering capabilities, and if this is your plan you don't have to buy it now. If not I would recommend to get it now.
It's a bit confusing I know to see all the ifs and thens clearly, hopefully this clarifyed it.
Cheers, Olli

bebev: 1x gyromixer, 1x usb adapter, 1x box
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Thank You Olli for the clarification, I would like to be prepared for future firmware updates so I will take one each of the three items.
Being 68 years of age and for flying outside in the yard by my home, I find the easy to fly coaxials to be quite suitable for me.
Bern

Quote:
Hye Bern, I am not sure we managed to explain this properly:
Many of the newer rc electronics allow you to update the firmware AFTER you have bought the device. So, the electronics is working perfectly fine at the point you buy it, however, if the manufacturer provides a firmware update later on you can install it and are hence always up to date.
So it is here, If you have the gyromixer and the programming box, you can use the gyromixer without any restrictions. However, if at a later point an update of the firmware becomes available you would need the usb adapter for installing it.
So, you don't need it. I recommend however to have it. The firmware is used by three people so far, and is beyond the "teething troubles stage", however, future improvments I consider still likely. For instance, so far the firmware is tested for spektrum and ESky recievers, and it is written such that it is supposed to work with any reciever, but since it is (obviously ) beyond my budget to test it for all recievers it may happen that it doesen't work for your reciever but could be solved by modifying the firmware... but you couldn't install it. My consideration is: with any new user a new unexpected problem may occur, which, however, may be solved by a new firmware. For installing it one would need the usb adapter.
So, chances are that eventually you like to get an adapter. Building it requires only basic soldering capabilities, and if this is your plan you don't have to buy it now. If not I would recommend to get it now.
It's a bit confusing I know to see all the ifs and thens clearly, hopefully this clarifyed it.
Cheers, Olli

Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:32 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Folks

so, I have placed the first orders. You are committed to your orders know

Orders:
E2: 4x gyromixer, 3x usb adapter, 1x box

placed orders
11 x GA250, + wires + shrinktubes
2 x robbe box
6 x usb adapters, + 6x switches, wires etc
=> everything needed is on its way!

Olli
Last edited by OlliW; Dec 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Great, thanks Olli
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Looking forward to them! Let us know when you're ready for reimbursement.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Guys,

a little riddle

any idea what this could be?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Last edited by OlliW; Jan 12, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
PS: they added this beautiful Turnnigy thing I always dared to get, for FREE! Cool, hugh. Ähhh, anyone who wants it? LOL
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,908 Posts
Quote:
Klasse Mann!!! Kann's kaum erwarten ...

(alright, not to be impolite - but here the German in me just got the better of me ... I said "Great man!!! I can't hardly wait" - but I take it you all guessed that anyway ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
I became actually a bit "scared" then I have seen this pile of boxes on my working desk... I converted the first one and it took me almost exactly 1h, and I am not sure I will get much faster, I guess I underestimated this a bit... but weekend is approaching, so heads up
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
I also got one of the Turnigy logos and have no idea what to do with it! Thank you for your willingness to assemble the gyros. I am looking forward to using it, but take your time.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Loll, 1 hour? It took me three times that until I worked out an assembly line system. I built a harness that I soldered on one as I was processing the first one I had just removed it from. With that it took 10 min per unit as far as the assembly work. And even then, the computer work was extremely harrowing. I think I spent the better part of a day doing the six or seven that I wired and programmed, including the two ttl adapters and the RobbeBox.

You guys are getting a deal! If any of you look at the build thread Olli started on these you will see how very difficult this process is as I muddled through it.
I am saying this because I am extremely jealous, and wanting you to realize what an incredible service Olli is doing here.
Randy
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:10 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
a major part of the work has been done... see below

every GA has been triple checked electrically... but I am a bit worried about the possibility that nevertheless one may fail in operation because of e.g. a weak solder point or whatever reason and once in the US it would be hard to get this corrected (with robins22 it would be easy). So I guess I will put each in my lama v4 and run one pack of flight through each.

on the photo you can see that two of the gyromixers do have a bit longer cables (I didn't do this on purpose, it just happened, I guess I should define and write down the lengths and use a ruler the next time ). Anyhow, if anyone thinks he specifically would like to have a gyromixer with longer cables, please tell! (otherwise I will mix them in randomly).

a second ago I would have written that I only have to wait now for the usb adapters to arrive but just in this second it rang and two of them got delivered... (I ordered them in packs of two to avoid tax). I have not touched them yet, but the pack for robins22 could be ready soon to be actually send out
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Quote:
but take your time
thanks, I appreciate what your indicating, but I "had" to do it... I don't like it much to have such things lying on my table, I mean, it's not going to go away
Quote:
and wanting you to realize what an incredible service Olli is doing here.
Randy, many thanks for your nice words, but you are exagerating a bit

except for few solder points which notoriously need a bit more attention it's fun, not need for big thanks.

But nevertheless I feel I deserve a coffee now... cheers, Olli
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Yeah, I know the truth about the intense programming procedures so you ain't foolin me bro. Hehe.

Btw: I just wanted to add for those of you using the B4 booms that this system is sensitive and the B4 is somewhat sloppy and has alot of mass on the boom with the plastic fins. Mine wobbled excessively and I couldn't solve it until I removed the fins. I still have a shaft shake. So I am using a solid mount Xtreme boom mount with a CA glued in CF shaft and Trex 250 Cf fins. Problem solved and it flies like a dream with 3s power.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Olli "You The Man" as they say. Your work on these gyromixers is acknowledged and appreciated by us lesser talented enthusiasts. One with the longer lead will be ok for me since I will be using it in my BOL.

Bern
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Wow, that was a fast built. Thanks Olli for your efforts.
Let us know when and how we have to send you the money.

My order would be shipping to a german address.

Sicky,
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Guys,

so, the last items arrived and I completed all hardware builds. I only have to program the usb adapters and do the one-lipo-flight-per-gyromixer test. Unfortuantely I am a bit busy job-wise at the moment, but I hope to do that soon. Anyhow, I guess I have to start to figure out my costs and the shipping. Also nbit sure yet how to handle the Eur-$ conversion things, Sven hopefully will tell. Anyhow, you will get a PM in the near future telling the further details. Since Robins is in Europe I will handle him, the US guys Sven will handle. Unfortunately, you US guys will also still have to wait a bit longer... there is a big ocean between the items and you

Cheers, Olli
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Speaking of gyromixers.

I just sent Sven out his two pre programmed OlliW gyromixers and ttl adapter just today. Welcome to the gyromixer brushless club Sven!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:13 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Folks,

I put everything into the mail...

For the US guys, let's see how long it takes it to reach E2/Sven. From now on he will deal with you.
Robbins22 may get his stuff much earlier...

I am a bit disappointed that no one wanted this beautiful Turnigy sticker

I'd like to grab this opportunity to direct the standard cautionary statements, which you find for any product, to you.

Don't put any of the items into the microwave, freezer, oven, etc.
Don't eat the gyromixer or adapter. The Progbox tastes fine though. Try.
:
bla
bla
bla
:
Now to the serious stuff:
As any electronics device of this sort also the gyromixer, adapter, or programming box can be destroyed by over voltages or currents. They are more robust than maybe expected but this nevertheless may happen. Most vulnerable is the Mot A port (red) at the gyromixer, and second next the programming port (yellow), as these are not protected by a resistor in contrast to the Mot B, Rudder, and Throttle plugs. Furthermore, the pin connector at the programming box has a "counter intuitive" pin scheme (gnd is on top), and to avoid incorrect connections it is recommended to permanently leave the servo extension wire attached to the programming box.

When you get the gyromixer I do understand that you are eager to plug it to something and try it out. However, I recommend to familiarize yourself first with the workings and manner, e.g., the meaning of the LEDs and so on. I say that because from my previous experience many problems appeared because it is just not clear what the gyromixer is doing when and why. A manual is unfortunately not available at the moment (maybe someone of you would volunteer, as HolgiB did for the GA250 Cp Gyro ).

Otherwise, have fun. And don't hesitate to ask if you have any question or encounter difficulties (maybe best in the gyromixer thread). Reports of success, if any, are of course also welcome .

Cheers, Olli
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Olli
Are the gyromixers already programmed with some default settings or do we have to start from scratch?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
this is a good question, and because of lack of experience a difficult one...

It is preprogrammed with a default which does do well on MY Lama V4 BLBL heli (it is not "perfect" but close). However, I can't say how it is for other helis (even for a Lama V4 it will depend on which motors, 2S/3S, the boom, the weight....). The only other parameter set I know of is that of Thommy@LA which he posted for his BLBLB BOL. He hasn't posted it for his other converted brushed BOL, and Luv has not posted any.

Finding a basic setup is however faster/easier than you might think at first by looking at these huge number of available parameters. I will give you some setup recipe by times. Then it comes to the fine tuning, which is possible to a large extend (in particular for those who don't use a computer tx), the playground is much bigger

Anyhow, from these answers you can read off that: Guys, post your settings together with the heli setup (heli, motors, pinion, BESC, battery, weight, boom,...).

The more would do that the easier it would become for followers.

You should get your stuff soon.Cheers, Olli

PS: as regards future upcoming discussions/questions/comments I am not sure whether it would be better to have them in the original GA250 gyromixer thread. It grew long, but topically they would be best placed there. Or you guys prefer to open a new thread for that purpose. It seems to me that this one here is kind of "inappropriate".
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
I think I'll just start with your default settings and see if it'll need some adjustments.
I have to admit that I'm totally ignorant of the meaning of a multitude of adjusting possibilities this system offers.

Maybe we should start a new thread like "share your settings with Olli's gyromixer"
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:04 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Quote:
I think I'll just start with your default settings and see if it'll need some adjustments.
this is maybe not a bad idea... but it likely will need tuning of two parameters (PID Gain and PID I)
Quote:
I have to admit that I'm totally ignorant of the meaning of a multitude of adjusting possibilities this system offers.
and most of them you indeed most likely will never have to touch (I tried to cope with that in AvrConfig by providing the expert checkbox).

(1) You'll have those few parameters which you obviously need to match the gyromixer to your system:
Gyro Orientation
Frame Length

(2) Then you have those parameters which you need to adjust the gyro in the gyromixer:
Gyro Mode
if gyromode = rate then: Rate Gain
if gyromode = hh then: PID Gain, PID I

(3) Then you have those parameters which you need to match the mixer better to your system:
Prop
Revo

(4) And finally you have those parameters which implements some functions also a computer transmitter would provide:
Rudd Expo
Thro Expo, Thro Hover, Thro Min, Thro Max

(5) All the other "expert" parameters you hopefully will never have to touch (I made them available just for case, e.g., because of a "cheap" Tx, etc.).

Setting up your heli consists of going through the parameters as listed in the above i.e. from (1) to (2) to (3)... where however only steps (1) and (2) are really relevant to get a working setup. (3) and (4) are for fine tuning.

So, you see, of all these parameters, at the end of the day you have to deal at first only with less than a handful of parameters! With Gain and Prop you are most likely very familiar, so the really new thing is the option to set the gyro to hh mode, which brings in only ONE parameter, namely PID I, which is new for you!

Hopefully this looks now much less scary than before.

But I guarantee you, once you got beyond this point, and got accustomed to the gyromixer, you will have fun with playing with the other parameters to find your best setting
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Olli

Thats a good starting help!

btw: money is under way
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Guys just to clear up something here after reading what Olli stated the gyromixer "can do" in programming features. It will be really close with his presets right off the bat. This is pretty well sorted out. All you will have to do is make sure the gyromixer(GM) links up with your esc's. This will involve the actual signal pulse coming out of the GM needing to be altered so the Esc can "see it" if needed. Most won't. Next, you will need to individually set up the gain settings to your desire. No two helis are seemingly ever quite the same. Both my, make that 3 now, helis hovered well with the presets! My problems arose from the instability of the B4 booms. I had to build tighter tail systems that had less mass, solidly mounted with no wiggle to them at all. But, keep in mind I am carrying more mass than a normal coaxial on my builds so my results may vary from yours. Plus I had some play in the stock plastic hub versions that induced wag that I had to eliminate.

In essence, this looks more complicated but is not. Just follow his included instructions on which leads go where. Make sure your heli is flying well mechanically before the install and your TX is setup correctly.

I did do a build manual but mine was aimed at the programming and soldering end of actually building a gyromixer. I set up all 6 of my gyromixers without a hitch after getting everything down correctly. I run DX6i and DX7 Tx's. If you run different tx's you will set up your tx differently but the actual integration of the GM will be the same. I have both the laptop "ON Screen" GM downloadable program and the actual field program box. I prefer the latter but this produces an extra expense for most.
Again, thanks Olli for allowing me your valuable time and expertise in building and experimenting with these groundbreaking inventions of yours.

Should we discuss the actual wiring/setup of these here or move over into the previous gyromixer thread. Sorry, I have been involved in other projects that consumed all my time. You have my complete support and help here where I can.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Jan 24, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Luvmyhelis!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,908 Posts
ok, as we dont have really too many pictures in here yet and we all know that a picture says more than a thousand words, I am going to add more than 2000 words to this thread ...

I got some OlliW's yesterday night in the mail (even though these are not the ones Olli is sending me). Anyway, I just wanted to give people an impression on what a difference this little gadget is and what a great job you guys did (OlliW - thanks for "inventing" this and Luv, thanks for making those)

I am not 100% sure which of my many "brainchilds" I intend to tackle with this first, but I just wanted to show this is how it looks - and give some opportunity of comparison.

So here it is: The OlliW GA250 that Luv was kind enough to "manufacture" for me
(... in comparison to a US 25Cent piece and an Esky LamaV4 4in1 ...)

Now I just have ONE more (immediate) question for the two experts: "Where do I get the USB to TTL cable from to actually be able to connect this gem to my computer"??
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Wasn't Luv saying that he had sent you 2 gyromixers plus one adapter cable? If you didn't get an adapter from him I am afraid that you have to wait for the parcel to come
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,908 Posts
Quote:
Wasn't Luv saying that he had sent you 2 gyromixers plus one adapter cable? If you didn't get an adapter from him I am afraid that you have to wait for the parcel to come
Sorry, I think we have a misunderstanding here then - he DID send me an adapter cable ... but that has a micro usb or however that (sellphone plug size) plug is called - and I need the cable that goes in that plug and from there to the computer - as it is obviously not what I imagine when I hear USB and also obviously not a plug my computer has ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
ah, sorry... best buy, radio shack, etc. ...

I think that plug is called mini usb B-type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

ATTENTION: the adapters which you guys will get from me (see post #31) do have a male A-type connector! It plugs directly into a computer, or, if more convenient you need an A-type extension cord.
Sven' question is specific to his adapter he got from Luv (I guess he used a Sparkfun usb-ttl adapter, and I guess that's because then Luv was entering the game, and he entered early, that's what I was recommending. Now I better like the Arduino devices which I hadn't been aware of at that time)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,908 Posts
Quote:
ah, sorry... best buy, radio shack, etc. ...

I think that plug is called mini usb B-type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

ATTENTION: the adapters which you guys will get from me (see post #31) do have a male A-type connector! It plugs directly into a computer, or, if more convenient you need an A-type extension cord.
Sven' question is specific to his adapter he got from Luv (I guess he used a Sparkfun usb-ttl adapter, and I guess that's because then Luv was entering the game, and he entered early, that's what I was recommending. Now I better like the Arduino devices which I hadn't been aware of at that time)
you guess absolutely right
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Mini usb! They are everywhere and cheap. And yes it is the Sparkfun TTL. I am now using the newer version that just showed up. I was your early test pilot on this stuff and am glad I muddled through it. The actual assembly work is a cake walk for me. As you could see, the programming was another story. I have since debugged my laptop.

But it showed me a few things. Most average coaxial owners simply will not have the drive nor ability to build and program these themselves. I have had a number of guys pm me along the road stating that they wanted these but had absolutely no idea of what we were talking about. In essence, I want one, but there is no way under God's green earth I can pull something like this off. Can you just send me a plug and play version?

This truly happened. And it set me back and caused me to withdraw and thing about the project for a while. Earlier when I ran into the same issue with my dual swash builds when a Nasa engineer hopped on board and commented on how impressed he was. I had the same response. The project had grown beyond the common guys ability to reproduce. So, here I am very glad that Olli has done this. More than very glad! And the reason I stated earlier that you guys should really be grateful here for what I know to be the effort involved in offering these. I myself tried to recompensate Olli for doing the original build work on my first 6 gyromixers. Hint,,,,hint,,,
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
Here is the latest link of a gyromixer build for you guys. And some simple setup info.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post20537481
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Hey Folks,
this are the less enjoyable events in such efforts. A rcgroup member PMed me and asked if I would still have a gyromixer, I told I would since I had a spare GA250 and usb adapter. He also wanted a progbox. So I spend 3h for finding the best deal, figuring out shipping, and doing the conversion and programming, and invested an additional 22Eur to buy the progbox. But now he is not paying.

Anyhow, the message of this post is:
I have a set of one gyromixer+usb-adapter+progbox for sale.

The pricing is unfortunately a bit worse since I didn't got an as good deal, it would be

1x gyromixer = 12 Eur
1x adapter = 9 Eur
1x progbox = 22 Eur
+shipping
+donation

I would be most interested to sell the progbox, because I have already three and I don't need a fourth. If that's relevant, I also could build one more gyromixer, so that the set could include 2. I gave the prices in Eur since this is what I paid.

Anyone interested?
EDIT: SOLD

Cheers, Olli
Last edited by OlliW; Feb 01, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,171 Posts
As a supportive note here. Olli is doing this down to the penny. Really! I don't doubt he looses here and there and just absorbs it when things go awry as they always do. The soldering work here is amazingly touchy. I am quite skilled in pc board work and still lost 2 gyromixers due to the tiny contacts coming loose off the board during the setup process. It happens!

I also asked you guys for donations here above and beyond the call of duty. Let me be blunt here. I am asking again. I know what is involved! Even before I built my own I had Olli send me half a dozen of his. I hope my "gift" was generous enough Olli?

For those who want some ease in running this setup the program box is just killer. I have had all three of my flying versions (soon to be 4 with the new Dss tri rotor 450 brushless coaxial) up flying, down on the bench, up flying and down on the bench dozens of times with the easy to operate program box. Instead of time consuming laptop changes I can change on the fly with the heli still powered up. When Olli asked me which process I prefer earlier in his build thread (and also now in the Vtail brushless thread), I implicitly answered the RobbeBox programmer was the way to go. (still the same version?)
It is worth every penny of the $30. Not to mention he has had to specifically program this Program box to integrate into the OlliW gyromixer program. This alone is a lengthy time consuming process.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:03 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Luv, no need to discuss a black sheep.

The guys who have listed here in this thread are nice guys! And I am very thankfull for them being here!

I just hope that another nice guy comes by and wishes to have a gyromixer