HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
Trying to weigh up which motor for the volcano but a bit limited regarding budet
After buying the volcano and needing servos etc and it looks like i am going to have to upgrade my dx7 to a dx18 suitable for better programming so I was wondering if the Hyperion gs3032-08 would be okay as the specs say 699kv with about 1357watts. I guess Hyperion specs are a bit conservative but I think it would be more powerfull than the mega 22/45/3e. What do you reckon.
That motor would sure work. I have one I'm building into my 4 m Thermik XL, and initial bench runs are showing great results...

I got mine from Ming at Windrider HK.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
I dont know what i would have done with out you,
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Chris, with you saying goop is more flexable i was wondering instead of my usual epoxy for attaching the liteply with rudder hinge into the fin if i could use silicone sealant instead as it is a adhesive with a lot of give.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Got the elevator and rudder finished, little bit fiddily but aim pleased with the result as this is where I usual mess up but every thing ok. Still not decided on a motor yet .
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Chris, with you saying goop is more flexable i was wondering instead of my usual epoxy for attaching the liteply with rudder hinge into the fin if i could use silicone sealant instead as it is a adhesive with a lot of give.
It will work, for sure.

I'm not a huge fan of silicone as, once you use it, you won't get anything else to stick there, ever. Which won't bother some people, but I sometimes find myself doing emergency repairs at the slope, and then your'e snookered...

My alternative to Goop or shoo-be-dooby-be-goo or Zap-a-dap-a-goo (the latter is what I have at the moment) is a Pratley's adhesive called "Wonda Fix". It stays flexible and sets much faster. But then I'm a big fan of all Pratleys epoxies and glues, seeing as it's what I'm used to (it's a South African company)...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
I have the air brakes set up via a switch which obviously does not activate them slowly, will this affect the pitch of the model very much as to being activated slowly.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Disregard my last question as i have bought a Dx18 and programmed the airbrakes with flap camber raising them slowly, However with the flaps being rather stiff i find it impossible to stop the servo moving the flaps from buzzing.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
How is the Volcano for slowing down for landing. Just read a article in a RC mag and it says it will glide forever. I have the flaps programmed to lower about 20 degrees when activating the airbrakes but with little flap due to the top hinge and being really stiff will this be enough to slow it down. Would like to have crow but i really dont want to start surgery on to me a expensive aircraft .
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Well the Volcano is ready to maiden. weighed in at around 4 kg a little under if anything and with a fresh charged 4s 5000 li-po power came out around 1150 watts. However even though the Volcano can be hand launched and after struggling to hold the Volcano with two hands while checking voltage and amps at full power i feel i cannot launch this one my own and if any club member is present i cannot rely on them for a launch as they are getting a little bit on regarding age. i was tthinking of building a dolly to assist in launching the Volcano so i could fly when ever as sometimes i am alone at the flying field. Would like to know the pros and cons of this method if you would be so kind.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,191 Posts
idea

Quote:
.... i was tthinking of building a dolly to assist in launching the Volcano so i could fly when ever as sometimes i am alone at the flying field. Would like to know the pros and cons of this method if you would be so kind.
Over in the RCGroups - sailplanes - Scale forum, those guys successfully use dollys so that may be a start. Go to the scale forum, click on search, enter the word ' dolly ', click the POSTS button and you will get a few pages of info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UtMjQVloT8o

I have seen also where the German sailplane flyers (especially for their flying wings) will use a short 'bungee' to quickly launch the model into the air and then turn on the motor. Myself, using a high-start (or bungee) will give my old Windsong (134") sailplane model a short but high speed burst for launch.

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:46 AM
Paul
Mold UK
Joined Apr 2005
123 Posts
Quote:
i feel i cannot launch this one my own
Maybe an idea to get to a slope to fly first before trying at the flat field. At the slope you won't need full power - about half power is good. You can then build up some confidence before launching at the flat field.
Slopeangel is offline Find More Posts by Slopeangel
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
I did think about using a slope as our house over looks a slope maybe about 30 degrees in pitch but has plenty of flat area behind with grass for landing. Would like to try a dolly though incase i decide to go a little bit larger than the Volcano in the future.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Hi, Tried to maiden the volcano today but to no avail. Eventually plucked up corage to maiden the Volcano with the dolly I put together but was unsuccessfully as I could not keep it tracking straight. Next was to try and hand launch by myself and after giving it about two thirds throttle to make sure it would not stall on leaving my hand I found I could not hold it level as it was wanting to pull out of my hand pointing slightly nose down. Flying mainly on my own I need to launch the volcano by my self so I need to find out how little power I need so I can launch straight and level . My auw is around 9lb and after checking with my watt Meter I have around 1150watts so with out checking again I reckon on two thirds power which I struggled to hold the volcano I had about 800watts so how little power regarding watts do I need to safely launch the volcano. Hope you can make sense with this explantion .
Last edited by glenbees; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Did manage to get a helper this afternoon to launch the Volcano for me. Launch was okay and plenty of power to climb to a safe height. Nearly full elevator trim to get it to fly level as it was wanting to dive slightly. Set the CG at the reccomended 83mm so do i move the batt further back or do i reset the elevator. Landing was a breeze with the airbrakes so overall was quite pleased. Would be nice if i could launch it myself as i said i often fly alone.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Glad you got to fly her at last!

Sorry, I missed your previous questions somehow (the "Electric Sailplanes" forum can be a bit full of really odd stuff, so I don't read it a lot...)......

I'm not sure how you have set up your braking, but it's usually not recommended to have them on anything but full-speed but proportional control. Just like the brake pedal on your car: you would prefer to modulate and increase or decrease braking pressure yourself - you wouldn't want the brakes to apply themselves slowly when you hit the pedal ! The exact same applies to a model.

You really need to just get over your fear of launching on your own. The Volcano is a pussycat, and is dead easy to lob off on your own (I fly on my own so much that I prefer not to have someone launch for me...). Once you've got over it the first time you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

As for CoG, I'm running mine at 118 mm, so I really think you should consider moving the battery back. The elevator is an all-moving tail, so it is (and must be) trimmed automatically when you trim for level flight...

Hth...

Chris