HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Well, that's exactly the same use that I keep mine for, but I did strive to get it as light as possible (hence the small battery etc.). It doesn't get used all that often, but when it is needed, it's just fantastic to have, and I wouldn't want to be without a leccy-assist thermal soarer.

83 mm? Hee hee - I have mine at 116 mm ! Knowing that CoG position through it's previous life as a slope plane did help me a lot in keeping weight down in the re-build to leccy...

I also lost my canopy and never found it - had to order a replacement, which wasn't cheap.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Paul
Mold UK
Joined Apr 2005
123 Posts
My canopy didn't really want to be found either. It took 2 of us 1 and 1/2 hours to find it - perfect flying weather just wasted!

I set mine up so that I can move the cg back using the power pack. Not sure if it will go back to 116mm though, but it's going to be fun trying. That's a long way from 83mm, where it really didn't feel too bad at all - certainly held its down line well.
Slopeangel is offline Find More Posts by Slopeangel
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
Count me in with this thread as i have allso ordered the volcano today. Will be flying from flat fields so will be looking for a decent motor set up so i will be able to hand launch . Dealer says the Mega 22/45/3e on 5s is ideal but seem to think i will need more power. Please keep the comments active as i will need some guidance along the way. Going to make it a quick build so hopefully maiden when we eventually get some decent weather here in the UK.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
How much is enough?

Defining what is a "decent" power set-up is a bit like defining "how long is a piece of string?". Different people have different expectations in this regard.

I always consider volts as being the defining parameter of what actually drives our electric -powered planes. Everything else in the powertrain are just means to turn volts into watts, which is the actual driving force. There are many combinations of prop, motor, etc. that will do that conversion to a greater or lesser degree of efficiency.

Given that, I consider 4 cells LiPo (producing under 1000 w) as "adequate" and I can launch the Volcano by hand no problem. 5 cells is going to be approximately 25% more powerful, and I would be really surprised if that's not plenty (unless you are looking for hotliner-type speed, which is a whole different kettle of fish).

Chris
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
From what some guys are saying around 1500watts plus i,am not sure hoping you guys will point me in the right direction. Dont want hotliner performance something that will move quite fast, saying that i have a brand new 4s 5000 pack stood idle so maybe a motor that will use a 4s pack if then not enough power move up to 5s.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:55 PM
Paul
Mold UK
Joined Apr 2005
123 Posts
Power levels must be appropriate to your intended use. I wanted something to help me blast around with aerobatics at the slope on a low wind day.

There are some "rules of thumb" that may be of use to you. If you are happy to climb gradually to height at a flat field and float around, or cycle through aeros, then 80 watts per pound will be ok (800 watts needed on this model). Mega suggest a limit of 40 amps through that motor, but I have run it at up to 60 amps on 5 cells. So it should be a good motor for a gentle climb.

If you want to use a motor to mix into aeros then I think you should be looking at more like 100-120 Watts/lb minimum, say 1200 Watts. I think that would be stretching that Mega on 5s.

This model will take a big prop and a geared motor is ideal for that.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
My Volcano arrived today in a very large box packed inside another large box,
only took 5 days very fast service. Very pleased with the model with a good finish and a lot bigger than i expected, can you really hand launch this glider. Need to do some research regarding servos unless you guys can tell me which are the best to use.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
It's no problem to hand launch!

I used S3150's throughout....

Chris
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
thanks chris, Few more questions as i have only had a quick look at the Volcano but would like to ask what holds the tail section on and is there enough elevator movement before the rod hits the slot or would it be better to dremel a little more to give a bit more elevator and also what holds the main wings on to the fus. forgive me asking these questions but not had time to study what little imformation you get.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
Well ihave had time to study the brief instructions but this may be a stupid question but what holds the wings in place when in flight as far as i can see you just slide them on and no way of keeping them there.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:40 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Like F3x mouldies you use tape to keep the wings on. I use MPX Multilocks as they are quicker to rig, less messy after time, and the wings pop off even easier than most tape, helps with not-so-good landings.

The tails stay on with good, old fashioned friction !

No need to lengthen the elevator actuator slot, there's indeed enough movement.

Chris
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
Once again thank you, as you can tell i have never had this sort of glidr before, Glen.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
No problem, that's what the forums are all about !
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,571 Posts
Trying to weigh up which motor for the volcano but a bit limited regarding budet
After buying the volcano and needing servos etc and it looks like i am going to have to upgrade my dx7 to a dx18 suitable for better programming so I was wondering if the Hyperion gs3032-08 would be okay as the specs say 699kv with about 1357watts. I guess Hyperion specs are a bit conservative but I think it would be more powerfull than the mega 22/45/3e. What do you reckon.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Paul
Mold UK
Joined Apr 2005
123 Posts
Sorry but I don't have direct experience of that particular motor. I have used other motors in the GS range and they are of good quality and VFM. The quality must be there cos Herr Reisenauer is mating his gearboxes to them http://www.reisenauer.de/index.php5?sprache=2

Do you really need the GS variant? It may be worth checking the diimensions of some of other equivalent Hyperion motors and the space available in the nose once your Volcano arrives. The GS motors help to fit into a tapered nose but pay the penalty of a longer drive shaft.