HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Question
First Build - Hacker Super Zoom 2 - ?'s

I am building my first plane and although I am reading every day and trying to soak up as much as I can, I am not extremely familiar with component specs and intercompatability. I am building a Hacker Model Super Zoom 2. Here is a link to the plane:

http://www.rcbaron.com/hackersuperzo...f2ff303c557b27

The RTF list that a vendor gave me is as follows:

Hacker A20-20L motor
Hacker X20-Pro ESC
Prop saver
APC 10x4.7 prop
3S 1000mAh lipo (either Zippy or Turnigy, whatever I have in stock)
3xHitec HS45HB servos
Hitec HS65HB servo (rudder)
servo extensions
1 pair deans ultra plug
CA and accelerator

I am hoping to save some $ and emulate that list using cheaper parts from HK and other online vendors. Here is the current list I have: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VRQR0hsaXczWWc

Here are my questions:

Will all of the components in my spreadsheet work with the plane?

What is a "1 pair deans ultra plug"?

Is there any particular reason they require/recommend a different servo for the rudder?

Will the servo in my spreadsheet be a good alternative to the hitec servos in the list above? If not, does anyone recommend any other compatible yet more cost effective servos that will work?

Will the rx I posted work with this build? I have a dx6i.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
hebs007wrx is offline Find More Posts by hebs007wrx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:01 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
653 Posts
I have a similar plane the Sniper 2, Made in the same factory? Your list seems fine except the servos. I would go with a little more powerful servos if it were me. My Sniper came with EPP hinges that were really stiff. I hooked up my servos, which were recycled from another plane (Spektrum 7.5 gram servos) with just about the same power as the ones you want. They promptly all got their gears stripped. I replaced the servos with more powerful servos and loosened up the hinges with no problems after that. Maybe your plane does not have the EPP hinges.
The Deans is a brand of plug that connects the ESC to the battery. It is a T plug and they are good. I don't believe The Zippy batteries don't come with Deans brand plugs. You don't need the Deans plug if the ESC and Battery have the same type of connector on them. The prop savers typically come with crummy bands to hold the prop on, buy better ones and a few spares. Did you get glue? I would maybe research the motor mount, probably okay. That is my take hopefully you will get more comments.
The use a more powerful an tougher servo on the tail due to it's size and getting banged around on the rudder doing 3D.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Dec 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Forgot rudder
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:07 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I agree about the servos, I used HS65's all round on mine and they are holding up OK. I was intending to put a metal geared servo on the rudder but the Karbonite 65 has survived so far.

I hope you mean this is the first plane that you have put together, but you have flown others?
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebs007wrx View Post
What is a "1 pair deans ultra plug"?
Probably means one male (for the ESC) and one female (for the battery.)

Quote:
Is there any particular reason they require/recommend a different servo for the rudder?
Are you sure you read that right? I've occasionally seen recommendations for an extra-heavy-duty servo on the elevator, not rudder. An elevator servo failure in flight is almost invariably fatal to the plane. It's true, rudder servos take a beating on landing, since they usually have a direct or nearly-direct linkage to the tail wheel or nose wheel.

Quote:
Will the servo in my spreadsheet be a good alternative to the hitec servos in the list above? If not, does anyone recommend any other compatible yet more cost effective servos that will work?
I don't usually use nice ($$$) servos like HiTec, but they sure have a good rep. You shouldn't need anything beyond a 9 or 10 gram servo on that plane, being as light as it is.

Quote:
Will the rx I posted work with this build? I have a dx6i.
I've had mixed luck with HobbyKing's Spektrum-clone receivers, but oddly enough, they work best in light, cheap planes. Lots of folks have decent results with them. In other words.... your mileage may vary.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:19 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,562 Posts
The HXT 900 servos will work fine, even on the rudder. It is much oversized and why they ask for a more powerfull servo. The 900 worked fine on mine. Also, to take the load off the servos, slit through the hinge line leaving about 1 1/2 at the outer ends and the middle, so you essential end up with 3, 1 1/2 in. hinges. I'd get the orange 6 channel rcvr. It's a well proven one and I have 9 of them on the go with no problems whatsoever. Carefull with that motor. Doesn't give to good a writeup in the reviews. I use the Turnigy Aerodrive which is a reliable motor and a Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESC. Hope this helps. By the way, the Hacker Zoombi bipe is an even funner plane for later.
P,S. This is the motor I use. Comes with a prop saver. Bummer that it's back ordered at this time.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html
Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Dec 15, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
I have a similar plane the Sniper 2, Made in the same factory? Your list seems fine except the servos. I would go with a little more powerful servos if it were me. My Sniper came with EPP hinges that were really stiff. I hooked up my servos, which were recycled from another plane (Spektrum 7.5 gram servos) with just about the same power as the ones you want. They promptly all got their gears stripped. I replaced the servos with more powerful servos and loosened up the hinges with no problems after that. Maybe your plane does not have the EPP hinges.
The Deans is a brand of plug that connects the ESC to the battery. It is a T plug and they are good. I don't believe The Zippy batteries don't come with Deans brand plugs. You don't need the Deans plug if the ESC and Battery have the same type of connector on them. The prop savers typically come with crummy bands to hold the prop on, buy better ones and a few spares. Did you get glue? I would maybe research the motor mount, probably okay. That is my take hopefully you will get more comments.
The use a more powerful an tougher servo on the tail due to it's size and getting banged around on the rudder doing 3D.
Gary
I think I will give the hxt900 servos a shot. People are comparing them to the hs65hb's in the reviews, claiming they are plenty strong, and at the price, its worth giving them a go. Thanks for the info on the plugs. Does anyone know if the battery and ESC I have listed will mate up together?

I am still researching the glue of all things lol... The vendor page and other build pages recommend regular (not foamie safe) thin ca and accelerator. Does anyone recommend any?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,562 Posts
No need for foam safe CA with this EPP foam. The thin CA from HK works excellent to install the wires or carbon fibre in the wings and fuse. Early ones like mine has aluminum wire. The rest of mine was put together with hot glue. ESC should work fine. Batts from 1000 to 1500 would work fine.

Gord.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Are you sure you read that right? I've occasionally seen recommendations for an extra-heavy-duty servo on the elevator, not rudder. An elevator servo failure in flight is almost invariably fatal to the plane. It's true, rudder servos take a beating on landing, since they usually have a direct or nearly-direct linkage to the tail wheel or nose wheel.
Yes here is the response the vendor sent when I asked him why:

"The SZ2 has a huge rudder and a hard rudder bump will strip the gears of a nylon gear servo like the HS55. You can use a HS45HB on the rudder without any problems if you want, it is about 6$ cheaper. I have been trying it out on mine and it works great."
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The HXT 900 servos will work fine, even on the rudder. It is much oversized and why they ask for a more powerfull servo. The 900 worked fine on mine. Also, to take the load off the servos, slit through the hinge line leaving about 1 1/2 at the outer ends and the middle, so you essential end up with 3, 1 1/2 in. hinges. I'd get the orange 6 channel rcvr. It's a well proven one and I have 9 of them on the go with no problems whatsoever. Carefull with that motor. Doesn't give to good a writeup in the reviews. I use the Turnigy Aerodrive which is a reliable motor and a Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESC. Hope this helps. By the way, the Hacker Zoombi bipe is an even funner plane for later.
P,S. This is the motor I use. Comes with a prop saver. Bummer that it's back ordered at this time.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html
Gord.
You said the 900's work fine on yours? Do you have a SZ2?

Thanks for all the input. I just realized a couple of the items in my list are on backorder at hobbyking I was hoping to get this all ordered tomorrow and have it by christmas. Does anyone recommend any other good but low cost motors that HK has in stock? Same for the ESC (its on backorder as well).

I also had some other questions about HK. If the item doesnt say "USA Warehouse", does that mean it ships from overseas? Very few items on their site say USA warehouse and I dont think any of the items in my list say that.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
653 Posts
The DX6i will work with the Orange RX in theory. I have had mixed results with Spektrum clones also. They seem to rather fragile and have trouble binding with my DX6i. I hesitated to state that as someone will probably come back with a "rubbish" remark. If I had done what Flypaper did right away I bet my first set of servos would have been fine, but that "fix" is what I did when I mounted my new servos. If you have the money and any doubts about any of the equipment go with the recommend parts for that piece of the puzzle. It is my OPINION that Hobby King is only for the experienced shopper as they can be frustrating for the less experienced shopper. Another good vendor here in the states is Heads Up RC, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront they are more $ than Hobby King but your parts will be here there under a week with good customer service and $2 shipping. The other posters have given good advice and have more time in the hobby than I do. Take your time and make it square and straight. Now get building and "just fly" as the saying goes.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
I just chatted with a HK customer service rep. I will definitely need to pick another motor and esc because the motor has a 3 month ETA and the ESC has a 3 week ETA.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,562 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
I have some of these Mag 8 ESCs in use and they work fine as shown in the reviews. This one is 18 amp and will work in this situation, and one of the ones I use.
According to the specs, this motor should work as it's about the same specs as the other ones. Also has a good review.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1000kv.html
I did have a Super Zoom quite a few yrs ago and finally wore it out where there was more glue than foam, but it served me well. Replaced it with a Flash, which is the same plane updated. These are all designed by David Kyjovsky, a very good designer.
I was using the HK orange rcvrs with my DX7 and now being used in a DX8 with no problems.
P.S Been in RC since 62 and electrics about 95.

Gord.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Flypaper: Between the motor you posted, and this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5690

... which would you recommend?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,562 Posts
That's a little bigger and heavier and requires higher amp batts. which also means more weight. That's basically the same motor I showed at the first that is backordered, just longer, therefore heavier.. Part of the performance is keeping the weight down.You'll like this plane once it's tricked out. A great plane to learn 3D stuff on as the EPP can take a joke on less than perfect maneuvers. Does knifedge and knifedge loops with no problems. Have fun. One thing I did was put 1/32 plywood plates on the sides of the gear mount as this is a weak spot. I think I have a pic on the Zoombi with it. I'll see if I can find it.

Gord.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
That's a little bigger and heavier and requires higher amp batts. which also means more weight. That's basically the same motor I showed at the first that is backordered, just longer, therefore heavier.. Part of the performance is keeping the weight down.You'll like this plane once it's tricked out. A great plane to learn 3D stuff on as the EPP can take a joke on less than perfect maneuvers. Does knifedge and knifedge loops with no problems. Have fun. One thing I did was put 1/32 plywood plates on the sides of the gear mount as this is a weak spot. I think I have a pic on the Zoombi with it. I'll see if I can find it.

Gord.
I think you are right, I think I will go with the 1000kv. It is quite a bit lighter and requires less power which will give me longer flight times with smaller lipos.

Do you think I should go with the smaller/lighter 4 ch orangrx I have in my list, or the 6 chan that someone suggested above?

I think I will go ahead and place my order with HK today to make sure everything gets here on time.

Does anyone know about how long (on average) the EMS shipping option takes to get to the US? UPS is double the EMS cost on HK's website.