|Dec 14, 2011, 01:11 PM|
For an article I'm writing, i re-drew my x-15 plans to have a slightly larger scale, but still fit on one sheet of depron, made the wing and fuse outlines more scale, along with the tail surfaces. I chose a flight profile where they didn't have the rear end box, and did not fly with the ventral in place. I also added a step by step instruction sheet in the plans as well as doing some build photos. It also has a parts list and flight notes/control throws.
I've flown this on E-6 rc reloads, E-9 and D-12 estes motors where I removed the ejection plug and charge, and re-plugged the ends with epoxy and they all flew it well. The D-12 wasn't super high, the E9 has a pretty quick boost, but doesn't go as high as the full 40ns E-6 motor. All the boosts were very straight, with just minor pitch adjustment as it got affected by wind on the way up.
It is a bit heavy for a quest D-5, and did not want to clear the rod, so I don't recommend that motor. Aerotech E-15's single use motors may be a little hard accellerating for the full flying tail, so you'll want to have a heads up if you fly it the first time on this motor to be sure you won't get any flutter.
The D-9 was the heaviest motor, and I had the battery fully forward for that flight, and have a long strip of velcro so I can move the battery back an inch to an inch and a half for the lighter setups, the glide profile was good, about 10 degrees down with post boost trim, and maintained good flare till right before landing. AUW for this version with an 800mah 2s and castle BEC with the 24mm reload and 3/4 ounce weight was 9.5 ounces RTF, if you only fly it on the 24mm reload you can get by with less nose weight depending on your build.
It is still probably a bit nose heavy as per the plans, but I don't want a marginal flight, so I haven't moved it back as it flies fine as is. You can probably have a bit more flare control right at landing if you do shift it slightly, but be sure to do it in small steps and fly it as indicated first.
The only thing non-scale about the profile is the wing which has 1" added to the tip and the trailing edge. If you trim off that 1" from each you would have a scale profile and placement. You would need to re-verify the CG if you do this and expect less glide.
Be sure to print using no margins and NO page scaling, I've put 6" reference lines vertical and horizontal on one of the pages, be sure this comes out right, or the alignment will be off.
I finished the painting and markings, and did silver panel lines to set off the shape a bit more, I think it came out nicely.
Here is a video with two flights, one with onboard video looking rearward.
And another with forward down and rearward down angle on a better day...
ImagesView all Images in thread
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Sold Parkzone DSV130M x 2 and HXT900 servos x 2 $15.00 shipped||Mikemynameis||Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W)||0||Oct 20, 2011 12:43 PM|
|Sold Parkzone DSV130M x 2 and HXT900 servos x 2 $15.00 shipped||Mikemynameis||Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W)||0||Oct 14, 2011 08:29 PM|
|Discussion UPDATED at least 3 different x-acto #11 blades...||rateoneturn||The Builders Workshop||28||Oct 08, 2011 10:03 AM|