SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
My cockpit is nearly done. The optional instrument panel is a must-have, it looks awesome. The LED's that come in it are very bright and very green.

Note that if you go "by the book" the instrument panel ends up way too far back. It should be midway between where the windscreen begins and the first vertical canopy support. It's simply a matter trimming the included dash plastic.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Despite the fact that it is about -700 degrees out I couldn't help but to see what it looks like with all the lights going. My iPhone doesn't do the tip lights justice, they look brighter in person.

If anything I might try a few different resistors to knock down the instrument lights some; they are kind of overpowering.

That being said I am happy with how everything looks...dare I say it would make for a decent night flier.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Sess...

How much of the rear did you sheet with the 1/64" ply? Just to the back of the canopy, or all the way to the firewall? Also, did you go all the way down the side of the fuse with the ply? Lastly, did you do it with one big sheet, or two?

Mine is stripped, just not sure if I should sheet or not.
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
Sess...

How much of the rear did you sheet with the 1/64" ply? Just to the back of the canopy, or all the way to the firewall? Also, did you go all the way down the side of the fuse with the ply? Lastly, did you do it with one big sheet, or two?

Mine is stripped, just not sure if I should sheet or not.
I sheeted back from where the canopy hatch ends up to where the solid areas around the stabs begin and sanded/filled to blend it into that area. This seemed to make the most sense as it did not interfere with how anything fit. I have indicated the area in the attached image. I did it in two pieces starting on the sides and working up. They join at the top stringer and were sanded flat.

Sheeting the sides wouldn't have made much difference in aesthetics but would have added much weight.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:42 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
994 Posts
There was something bugging me while looking at the videos in the recent postings; Red becomes visually 'black' at not too far a distance; Black makes a visually difficult silleoute in the sky. My personal experiances with these in the past is making me inclined to strip the scuffed looking film and re-cover with some colors easier to see. After all, this is the winter building season.
The chrome looks good but I've heard that it blanks out the radio reception.
Santa delivered the Maxford PT-17 and the building bench may get a little crowded!
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:37 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,404 Posts
I just got mine for Christmas and am excited to get it going. Looks great, cover is good, very few wrinkles and those that exist are very small. Canopy flaw and a little CA spotting on the windshield in evidence but overall a nice model.
I bought a Chinese eBay cheapie combo motor and esc,
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro View Post
There was something bugging me while looking at the videos in the recent postings; Red becomes visually 'black' at not too far a distance; Black makes a visually difficult silleoute in the sky. My personal experiances with these in the past is making me inclined to strip the scuffed looking film and re-cover with some colors easier to see. After all, this is the winter building season.
Santa delivered the Maxford PT-17 and the building bench may get a little crowded!
Chrome covering does not affect reception.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro View Post
Please don't put too much stock in the videos I published. They are right at sunset with very low light. The scheme shows up just fine in all reality. While it's certainly not fluorescent yellow, it's still just fine.

Sam
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
151 Posts
Sessholvlaru, how many rolls of covering will I need?
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
Sessholvlaru, how many rolls of covering will I need?
Well if you don't make any mistakes and cut your pieces out within reason you'll need two rolls. I used three because I re-did one wing and a portion of the fuse.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
151 Posts
I got the covering removed today, it was really easy to remove. How did you cut the window pieces out? Any tips for applying the adhesive trim on the canopy?
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
I covered the canopy in pieces. I did two strips first to cover up the plywood braces inside the canopy. Then the area between the braces (3 pieces) then the rear area around the semi-round windows (5 pieces). I cut out the rear windows by eye. Basically apply the pieces carefully and try to not get any wrinkles. If you do just peel it off and use a new piece.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I finished my build earlier this month and took some photos along the way. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the pics along with my build log.
dKing86 is offline Find More Posts by dKing86
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,457 Posts
I haven't taken any pics but I am about finished. I hope to maiden in a couple of days. Like eveyone says, the covering isn't that great but overal I think it is a nice model. Mine is all budget item done with turnigy servo's and a cheap motor from Leaders Hobby. Not sure if i am going to go 3 or 4s. I had to prop down to a 9x4 with 4s to keep under the rated watts/amps for the motor. That small prop looks sort of silly in comparison to the rest of the plane.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
Be cautious during the takeoff roll. If your main landing gear are toed outward as mine was the aircraft will tend to veer left and right as you attempt to keep it straight. I ended up adjusting the flats on the landing gear shafts/struts to toe the landing gear slightly inward to correct the issue.
dKing86 is offline Find More Posts by dKing86