SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:33 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,348 Posts
It looks good in that chrome covering. Nice work applying it.
Chris....
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
WoW! Looking great Sesshovlaru,
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
I've heard that stuff is difficult to worlk with but it looks like you did a great job....it looks much better I think....so how many orders can you fill?
Cheers
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Really like what you're doing with the Swift Sessholvlaru! BTW, if you have an airbrush, Alclad makes some great paints to give a nice chrome finish to the cowling, too.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
So here's where I'm at. I've learned a few things recovering this plane but the only one worth mentioning is that chrome Monokote is total garbage. It barely shrinks so when you run into compound curves like on the fuse you just can't pull it tight enough before you iron it down. So you end up with wrinkles. If you heat this crap too much it will semi-shrink more but it also fogs up at the same instant and it doesn't go away.

There are only a couple of areas where mine fogged but I am still pretty tempted to rip all of the covering off and re-do it with chrome Ultracote. I will never buy chrome Monokote again.

As you can see I haven't quite gotten to the canopy yet. I'll use chrome trim tape on it.

I painted my cowl with Spaz Stix chrome which requires a perfectly smooth black base coat. I didn't spend a whole lot of time wet sanding the black so the chrome reflects this. I'm not too worried about it though as the secondary color will cover much of it.

The last two pics are the tip and tail light fixtures I added.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Last edited by Sessholvlaru; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Sessholvlaru, can you advise how you got the canopy paint off, it looks really clean. Any pictures of how you did the lights?
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
Oh and while I'm here I'll b*tch about the included retracts too. For whatever reason they give you 90 degree units when it actually needs 85 degree units so the gear looks goofy when it's down.

You can't shim them as the wheel collar already touches the covering on the top of the wing when they are retracted.

I haven't tried opening them up but maybe they can be modified?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
Sessholvlaru, can you advise how you got the canopy paint off, it looks really clean. Any pictures of how you did the lights?
The black portion is the only paint on the canopy. The red and white portions are just vinyl decals; they peel right off.

I didn't take any pictures of how I did it but all it is is small 3/4-inch lengths of aluminum tubing that I cut into the tips and rudder. The wires are snaked through the wing and I drilled a hole through the rudder length-wise to run those wires.
Last edited by Sessholvlaru; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
It looks like a masterful job to me.....very nice work.
ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Has anyone had more than a few flights, and, if so, how does it handle?

Thanks (I have an H-1, and it can only be described as a POC).
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
It looks like a masterful job to me.....very nice work.
ce
Thank you for your compliment.

I did the canopy chrome this morning, only took about an hour. I am actually fairly pleased with how it came out. The gray blobs are filler to fix the B-stock defect.

Now the exciting part; adding some color. I'm going with this scheme because I think it will stand out better than the chrome and black one I posted earlier. That and the chrome and black Swift has different wing tips than the Maxford model
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
Added some color. Cowl's next.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
It's look ing very good.
What did you use to repair the damage on the B Model cowl.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
It's look ing very good.
What did you use to repair the damage on the B Model cowl.
Dick
Thank you. It's just plastic model filler from the LHS.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2007
312 Posts
I've had quite the (hilarious) adventure covering the Swift.

I had already re-done the top of one of the wings where the Monokote wouldn't shrink and "fogged".

Then, as I had posted earlier, there were a couple of spots where the chrome Monokote "fogged" on my fuselage. I thought I could live with it but it kept bothering me. The pic is of the fogged areas; the white areas are not reflections, they are where the Monokote did whatever it is that it did.

So I ripped all of the covering off. While it was naked again I also decided to sheet the turtle deck with 1/64 ply. As you will see in my pics to come I think the improvement to the plane's appearance is worth the effort.

Soooooo I decided to go out and buy a roll of chrome Ultracote. My thinking was that maybe it would be close enough of a match to the Monokote to get away with. I covered just the bottom portion of the fuse and while the Ultracote is much easier to work with it also develops that foggy appearance...much more easily than the Monokote. And I'm talking barely shrinking it on low heat. It is also clearly more dull than Monokote.

Soooooooooo I ripped that off and re-covered the fuse again with Monokote. With all this trial and error the covering is now immaculate!