HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Thanks guys. It's not because I don't want to fly it, it's the unflyable weather.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
I need to paint my cowling (fiberglass) and canopy ("PET", per Maxford). Does anyone have any suggestions on a good paint to use that will adequately stick to both materials? To further complicate things, I'm covering the plane with Pearl Green Ultracote, which might be difficult to match.
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
My Swift is at WRAM!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
That's beautiful airplane....congratulations on it.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
After scraping together a few hours between work and family commitments, I've finally readied my fuselage for covering. I took a technique from Sess and sheeted the top of the fuselage with 1/64" lite ply to keep the top from looking like the "starved-horse" that is stock.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Looks great!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
After scraping together a few hours between work and family commitments, I've finally readied my fuselage for covering. I took a technique from Sess and sheeted the top of the fuselage with 1/64" lite ply to keep the top from looking like the "starved-horse" that is stock.
What did you use for filling and fairing in around the balsa...?
Thanks -
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
What did you use for filling and fairing in around the balsa...?
Thanks -
Dick
Dick,
I used Red-Devil One-Time Spackle (basic drywall spackle). The only real fairing I had to do was at the back of the fuselage where the 1/64" lite-ply terminated. Also, since I have a bit of a higher standard of finish than the builders for the Maxford line, I chose to fill a lot of areas that they didn't when it was originally assembled. Most of it gets sanded off anyway, but it sure makes things nice and smooth.

Also, of a more important note was the amount of gluing I had to do for joints that were loose or simply not glued to begin with.

Sam
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:54 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
Dick,
I used Red-Devil One-Time Spackle (basic drywall spackle). The only real fairing I had to do was at the back of the fuselage where the 1/64" lite-ply terminated. Also, since I have a bit of a higher standard of finish than the builders for the Maxford line, I chose to fill a lot of areas that they didn't when it was originally assembled. Most of it gets sanded off anyway, but it sure makes things nice and smooth.

Also, of a more important note was the amount of gluing I had to do for joints that were loose or simply not glued to begin with.

Sam
Thanks Sam, I apprecitate a better finish also. Altough, I haven't started my build yet, I intend to at least cover the turtle deck and hope to acheive a good finish.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
flyboycpa, did you ever finish your Swift?

Sessholvlaru, did you ever fly your Swift?

dking86
dKing86 is offline Find More Posts by dKing86
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Mine has not flown. It has been hanging from the ceiling ever since the WRAM show. It was so much work to finish between the covering and lights that I am tempted to leave it as a hangar queen, especially considering the mediocre-at-best flight reports.

I will fly it eventually, just have so many other planes to work on...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:12 AM
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dKing86 View Post
flyboycpa, did you ever finish your Swift?

Sessholvlaru, did you ever fly your Swift?

dking86
DKing,

I haven't had a lot of time due to a very busy summer airline schedule

I did manage to get the tail covered and installed. I am home 7 days next week and hope to get some more accomplished (wings covered).

I'm also debating on whether to hand-cut the stripes (yellow/red) or simply have Callie Graphics do them for me. I'm leaning toward Callie.

Also, I did manage to get my full-scale Swift down to the Swift Museum and had the emergency gear extension cable replaced.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:00 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,317 Posts
My kids were the same way. As soon as the drone got to them, they were out!
I used to take my daughter with me to work when she was 2 and too young for school. The old Twin Beech would knock her out by first power reduction.
My Swift model languishes as well because of reduced trip efficiency at my base. Three four days used to be it, now for the same time we need another 3 day and it really cuts into my Pattern, sports car and general fun time.
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I've got quite a few flights on my Swift now. The tail wheel assembly has broken loose from the rudder. I'll probably buy an after market tail wheel assembly and replace the old one. I'll try to keep it as scale looking as possible but right now I think I'm more interested in durability.

D
dKing86 is offline Find More Posts by dKing86
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,317 Posts
Yeah,
A little spring actuated tailwheel that's mounted forward of the tailpost would be better and more scale. Doesn't Dubro make one about the right size for the Swift? I wondered how long mine might last flying off our dirt electric field. Can't wait to get enough time to find out!
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr