HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Help!
MCP X V2 vibration and shake issues

Hello all...

I have a MCPx2 that I am experiencing some ridiculous vibration and shaking. This heli is brand new and has had this issue since taking it out of the box.

I have been flying a V1 for some time now, and I've never had this issue with the V1.

There are so many threads and so many different suggestions I don’t know where to start. Would anyone care to help walk me thru this? I would hate to think my V1 flys better than my newly purchased V2…

Thanks
Mike
longballlumber is offline Find More Posts by longballlumber
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
If you hold the heli and throttle it up does it vibrate at all?
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:43 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. Waiting for the V2, paying more, and having a heli that is not as good as the V1.

Man, you need to get onto the phone with Horizon. Their warranty is only good for date of sale. If it was like this out of the box, it shouldn't be your problem to diagnose and fix.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Silver View Post
If you hold the heli and throttle it up does it vibrate at all?

Last night I pulled off the main gear and made sure there was no slop in the main shaft.

Next I put the main gear back on making sure to push it all the way on with the "D" on the shaft and the gear lined up. With out the blades on I powered up the heli and gave it throttle while holding it in my hand. No vibration or shaking. That was the end of my testing last night.

Thanks for the reply,
Mike
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Waiting for the V2, paying more, and having a heli that is not as good as the V1.

Man, you need to get onto the phone with Horizon. Their warranty is only good for date of sale. If it was like this out of the box, it shouldn't be your problem to diagnose and fix.

Nomad
Morning,

Don't necessarily take my word for there being a big issue. I am relatively new to this heli thing and not an expert by any means. I am RC boat racer by heart, but wanted something to play with over the winter months in the basement. I am a novis pilot and probably don’t have the skills to determine whether the V2 flies better than the V1. I just wanted the darn thing to stop shaking.

I am confident that Horizon put out a V2 with the idea that it would be the same or better, so I wouldn’t give up on them yet.

I did take your advice and call Customer Support at Horizon. After a short discussion, he suggested that I replace the stock “sport” blades with the included FFF blade (little bullet). After that; the shaking and vibration went away! Success!

I asked why the regular sport blades would cause so much vibration. It was explained to me the sport blades simply come out of the mold trimmed up and installed. The FFF blades are “balanced” to a point before they are ready for the kits.

Bummer about it is they never offered to send me replacement stock/sport blades to replace the out of balance blades. That’s OK, I am just glad we figured out what the problem was.

Thanks
Mike
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:37 PM
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Mike, can you try it again with the sport blades and make sure you screw them on very tight to the blade grips to the point where they cannot move unless you move them. Now try and see if you still get the vibrations?

I got the shakes on a new v1 mcpx right out of the box and when I did this the shakes were gone. Just curious to see if the same happens to you. This is assuming you have a good battery and the feathering shaft is not bent which caused shakes for me in the past.
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by profilefan View Post
Mike, can you try it again with the sport blades and make sure you screw them on very tight to the blade grips to the point where they cannot move unless you move them. Now try and see if you still get the vibrations?

I got the shakes on a new v1 mcpx right out of the box and when I did this the shakes were gone. Just curious to see if the same happens to you. This is assuming you have a good battery and the feathering shaft is not bent which caused shakes for me in the past.
I sure can, I will put the sport blades back on and tighten them up real good. For what it's worth, I do tighten up the blade holders enough the blades won't fall on their own. However they are loose enough that a quick jolt will make them move. I will try tightening them a pretty tight and report back what happens.

Thanks
Mike
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
I sure can, I will put the sport blades back on and tighten them up real good. For what it's worth, I do tighten up the blade holders enough the blades won't fall on their own. However they are loose enough that a quick jolt will make them move. I will try tightening them a pretty tight and report back what happens.

Thanks
Mike

To lessen chance of vibration, make sure you test with the blades quite loose and free to move.
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Anyway you slice it, MY V2 heli shakes and vibrates more than my unmodified V1. However, I will say that my V2 flies much better with the FFF blades rather than the sport/stock blades regardless of how tight or lose they are assembled.

Later,
Mike
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
Never owned a heli i didn't balance the blades first. That's where i always start.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, MO, Joplin
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Did you get your problem resolved with the V2 shaking? Sounds kind of odd to me it'd shake this much, It's definitely affecting my ability to invert the bird compared to the V1. It's not disabling me from doing it, I just don't like the way it feels....I've had a couple of issues stabilizing the bird after inverting it which led to me having to do what I felt like was more correction that necessary by any means.

Anyways, I may just be picky, but it seems to me the boasted added stability and agility the MCPX v2 is 'sposed to offer is kinda negated a bit by issues like this.
cswilsn is offline Find More Posts by cswilsn
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Logan, Utah, United States
Joined May 2002
1,260 Posts
I know on my V2 it would shake at different times with no real consistency, pulled the main blades off and couldn't get it to shake/vibrate, so I installed a new set of main blades and it has never had a problem since.
rcman is offline Find More Posts by rcman
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Mine is still shaking. At this point I am still flying my V1 since it doesn't shake as bad. Using the FFF blades definatly make it better, but it hasn't gone away completely yet. I have some KDDB aftermarket blads I will try on it soon and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Mike
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
Mine is still shaking. At this point I am still flying my V1 since it doesn't shake as bad. Using the FFF blades definatly make it better, but it hasn't gone away completely yet. I have some KDDB aftermarket blads I will try on it soon and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Mike
Bit late in on this one, but just wondering if you swap the blades between the V1 and V2, which one shakes?

I'm having wobbles in FFF (not rapid vibration, perhaps 4Hz) and will try the bullet blades.
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Not too late at all Dave,

As a matter of fact I started messing with my V2 again. A few weeks back I noticed the main gear on my V2 was cracked at the “D” section.

Last night I installed a new main gear making sure it was installed all the way. I put on some KBDD main blades and tail blade

First min of flight I was in normal mode and just after I get the heli off the ground it shakes like crazy, and I mean crazy!

Second min or 2 of flight I used idle up mode. Still shook but not as bad.
Everything I have done, the copter still shakes. Some things are worse than others, but I still feel ike I got a dud or a manufactures issue.

Later,
Mike