HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,656 Posts
New Product
Solo Pro 125, pre production flight video and pics

I got my hands on the new Solo Pro 125 today and I must say, I think Nine Eagles did a nice job on this one.

Have a look first and then I will add a few observations.

Solo Pro 125, pre-production test flight (2 min 1 sec)

Solo Pro 125 pre production (3 min 8 sec)

Pictures next to a Genius CP for size comparison:

First off, there's a possibility that there is a 6 axis implementation on this as there is a small button on the RX and we are not sure what it's for.

It looks a lot liek the Genius CP, but it's not a copy of the Genius CP by any means. It's an original design from what I can tell, and it has some distincy advantages over uts close competitor the Genius CP.

The landing skids are replaceable and they seem very durable. They can flex over and over again and they return to their shape without kinking, cracking or any fracture lines. The kind of plastic Nine Eagles used on those skid appear to be very durable for this type of application.

The tail boom is longer than the tail boom on the Genius CP, which I believe will give the Solo Pro an edge over the GCP in terms of tail authority.

The motors are both brushed motors but the Solo pro comes stock with heat sink on the main motor. This is a nice addition to a brushes setup, I think.

The main gear has nice big teeth compared to the solo pro 100D main gear, and the gear itself is much larger in diameter. I think the gears will be a lot more sturdy on this one compared with the problematic gears on the 100D

The main shaft is CNC and the head seems very durable.

On the downside, there are no adjustments pots on the RX and this heli uses the J6 transmitter which only has one model memory. Hopefully Nine Eagles can implement the use of the new X6 transmitters for this heli.

The servos seem very tiny, and they read 1.9 grams, although they responded very well when I flew the heli.

In high rates with the stock settings, the heli was very nimble and very aggressive. But with the dual rates activated, it was easy to just hover around the room. The heli actually feels very stable. The gyro seems to be doing a good job because the heli required very few corrections to hover nicely.

It was also nice to see that the Solo pro 125 doesn't have a slow yaw drift issue like the Genius CP does.

The white blades and white undercarriage of the canopy is easier to see in the distance than the dark colors on the Genius CP.

The main blades are made of very durable and very flexible plastic much like the GCP.

All in all, I see only good things about this heli except two things; The transmitter which I believe isn't adequate for a collective picth heli like this one and the battery tray is too small to accommodate 240mAh hyperions batteries. The stock batteries that come with this heli are 200mAh batteries.

If you consider the heat sink, the longer tail boom, the removable landing gear and the absence of the yaw problem which is not good on the Genius CP, I 'd say this heli is certainly giving Walkera a good run for their money. This heli may actually be a better heli than the Walkera Genius CP.

And this is all the info I have at this point.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Dec 13, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,997 Posts
Thanks Chris, this is very interesting. I wonder if you have any idea on the actual dimensions and weight compared to the Genius CP and Solo Pro 100D.

This is less than 4 months since the Genius was released. Although it is not a direct copy, I think there is a high chance of some collaboration between Walkera and Nine Eagles. I would be very surprised if Walkera had not patented the 6 axis gyro for micro helis. It is not necessarily one way either. If you look at the head on the Genius and V120D02S, it is essentially the same as the Solo Pro 180D which was announced months earlier. If anything, the V120D02S looks like a copy of the Solo Pro 180D. Not only that, the Solo Pro 100D has been released in quite an odd manner. Nine Eagles seems to be avoiding the China market where Walkera predominates.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,908 Posts
Looks cool Chris. The I like the canopy. It has the look of the Logo heli It's cool how Solo Pro did some improvements to make this one better than the Genius CP. too bad it will only work with the J6 TX.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,504 Posts
Looks good. Love the styling on the canopy too. Nine Eagles just need to work out their transmitter issues.

Any word on pricing?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,656 Posts
No word on pricing, and Mr. Lin will not disclose prices until he has a shipment in stock.

Weight is going to be pretty close despite the longer tail boom because the servos are tiny and the battery tray is also smaller. It has a CNC main shaft, however so that may be a bit heavier. I will try to find out, though. It might even be in the manual. As for main rotor span, it's identical. In fact, the main blades are identical down to a fraction of a mm. Same blades and same flexible/durable material. Just different color.

The tail motor seems to be a Bravo SX tail motor and the tail rotor blades also solo pro/bravo sx. The tail held well with no yaw issues at all. In the above video, I used no rudder when hovering tail in. I got used to the yaw problem on my GCP, but it was nice not having to correct the yaw every so often like I have to on the GCP.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post

Seems to have a similar tail rotor as the MCPX2's (v3 or whatever it's called)

I'm really liking the wide LG compared to the GCP there. Not to mention the color for visibility.
deux_18 is offline Find More Posts by deux_18
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
and the tail rotor blades also solo pro/bravo sx.

Ahh.. nvm on my previous comment about the MCPX 2 then...
deux_18 is offline Find More Posts by deux_18
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:58 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
The tail motor seems to be a Bravo SX tail motor and the tail rotor blades also solo pro/bravo sx.
So it's a flybarless CP helicopter that's only slightly bigger than the Solo Pro II/Bravo SX? Impressive! How strong is it? Could it carry a scale fuse, Bravo SX style?

Given that I already have tail spare parts for these two NE fixed-pitch helis, I might like this one. Do you know if it would be available without a transmitter, so users can install a better R/C system? Or is it another all-in-one board? I have way too many NE transmitters as it.

Do you know the expected release date? Couldn't find anything online.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The 2014 Season is On!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:01 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,440 Posts
man it looks a lot like a Walkera

using skids on GCP is a good idea
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Hi,
cool stuff, Chris.

Quote:

The tail motor seems to be a Bravo SX tail motor and the tail rotor blades also solo pro/bravo sx.
I do not think so.
I thought in the beginning, the tail rotor of the SP 100 3D is also the same as used in the Solo Pro and Bravo SX. But it is not. It is slightly different, if you look at the aerea of the wing near the center - I'll post a pic later on to see the difference.

I assume, the 125 uses the same tail blades as the 100 3D.

Anyway, dont understand why Nine Eagles releases the Solo Pro 100 3D (in different versions concerning main shaft and main gear) and then, shortly after that, the 125.

Similar to Walkera, V100 D03 and D08 and only short time later the Genius (and nearly nobody is talking about the V100s anymore - kind of customer cheating, because it has not been announced).

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
man it looks a lot like a Walkera

using skids on GCP is a good idea

I.e. the receiver of the Solo Pro 180 3D looks exactly like a Walkera receiver...

Seems to be same producing company.
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Nice Chris, now to get to promote new heli already! Ya i agree the solo pro 125 looks almost indentical to gcp lol looking to grab some lg from it
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,440 Posts
is all this cloning a result of nine eagles suing Walkera?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,656 Posts
My understanding about clones is that parts are interchangeable. Like... Exact same designs. If that is the case, then the 125 is definitely not a clone. It's different in many areas, IMO. It's actually improving on the gcp design. Clones do not normally have improved designs, do they?

Sorry, no clue on release date yet. Usually happens within one or two months after Mr. Lin receives the sample.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Dec 13, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Man you get to see and play with all the new birds. How neat is that? I need the skids!
RD
rldeveer is offline Find More Posts by rldeveer