847 Posts
A short run.Exhaust is in a water can.

NGH 9 GT Evde test (0 min 29 sec)
turk1 is offline Find More Posts by turk1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,337 Posts
I haven't done that in ages, run a engine inside of the house. The last time I did it caused a family riot from all of the fumes.
I was test running a K&B outboard engine and boat in the bathtub.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts

Tomorrow I will go on with full break in at 50 km away flight site.I hope some more videos too.
I also recommend to play with timing because mine was having some backblowing during start attempts and after a little retard no such thing and easier start.Gas is 98 octane unleaded pure gasoline.
Here is bench configuration
NGH 9 CC Sehpa düzeni. (0 min 22 sec)
Last edited by turk1; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sarven Bedikoglu
Türkiye, Istanbul, Istanbul
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
Nice bench Turk1. It's familiar I suppose
I read the instruction manuel of this tiny gas engine. I noticed that it recommends fully synthetic
2st oil at 20:1 and a 1 hours break-in at steady 5000rpm on the ground.
What would be your break-in approach? Especially prop, oil ratio and rpm choices.

Regards abi
sarvenn is offline Find More Posts by sarvenn
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Hi bro,as you know,I dont ever attempt to use synthetic oil.I have a liter of 2 stroke mineral oil.
As recommended 1:20 mix is OK for me.Even maybe I can add very little castor, I love it you know.
My break in will be in changing speeds and cooling phases between,not much revving though.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,337 Posts
I used to always use a mineral oil to break in a engine with, but maybe it really isn't necessary to do that. It might be a "myth" of sorts that developed over time. The other issue is most synthetic oils you buy are really blends of mineral and synthetic oils. They like to use cute catch phrases to hide it, those marketing folks at it like usual. Plus even a can that says it is 100% synthetic may not really be really all synthetic oil as they like to modify the definition of it.

I tend to use a blend of mineral and synthetic oils and I use the air cooled two stroke oil over the other types. But after I get the engine broke in pretty good, I'll try to find a real 100% synthetic oil and switch to it. I went with using a smaller fuel tank and running the engine for a few minutes and letting it cool off and then running some more. I think heat cycling the engine probably breaks it in faster ans the parts and heating up, expanding, and then cooling off some, and you repeat the process. I also switch to breaking in the engine on the plane later too, no sense spending lots of time on the ground watching fuel drain from the fuel tank a lot. But when breaking it in on the plane you have to run it more rich and not fly at full throttle all the time either.

Must new cars be broken in using mineral oil?
answer: No. AMSOIL Synthetic motor oils are safe to use during break-in. In fact, many vehicles – including the Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette – are factory filled with synthetic oil.
ref http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jan 2004
612 Posts
Yes & No

AMSOIL
Break-In Oil - Formulated without friction modifiers to allow for quick and efficient
piston ring seating in new and rebuilt high-performance and racing engines. ....
Jeff
MrGreenSpeed is offline Find More Posts by MrGreenSpeed
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2004
612 Posts
double post
MrGreenSpeed is offline Find More Posts by MrGreenSpeed
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:27 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,337 Posts
Don't you just love the marketing folks. If people believe in something why not sell something to cater to those beliefs too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Before reading forums etc I have always broke in my two stroke motors with synthetic but making sure it is a very good brand. Now days I use Castrol 2T and have had no problems, usually run the motor up to temp varying the revs with out reaching the top end and then letting it cool down before starting again. Basically not working it hard but just getting the parts to all expand and contract regularly so they seat properly.
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:28 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Here,a synthetic 2 st. oil so expensive that I guess I can buy a new piston/liner set with such saved money after one liter use.
I had a VW Golf Turbo diesel car, it had finished off its engine in 50 K kilometers.It hurt so much that I dont think my tiny 9 CC will do that much.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk1 View Post

Tomorrow I will go on with full break in at 50 km away flight site.I hope some more videos too.
I also recommend to play with timing because mine was having some backblowing during start attempts and after a little retard no such thing and easier start.Gas is 98 octane unleaded pure gasoline.
Here is bench configuration
http://youtu.be/K8ds7EeIG2g
Took a note of your timing point Turk1 and adjusted mine just a touch. A lot easier to start by hand now and running smoother with better revs. Motor is still on the test stand as I still wish to put a bit more fuel through at 20:1 before leaning it down to 25:1 and mounting it on the plane. Looking good though.
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Very short break in attempt before cats and dogs raining.There was no bubbles at all on both system.My friend's pump was bracketed on bench but some little foam support.(Bracket connection direct contact with bench but some foam in side space.)
NGH Gt9 Stereo Break-in / Istanbul (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by turk1; Apr 14, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Good job Turk1. I love that. But i think you should use fully synthetic oil. Subscribed.
neyhackle is offline Find More Posts by neyhackle