HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,086 Posts
I've been following this thread forever. It seems that there is a Huge Quality issue with most of the inexpensive Chineese engines. Seems there are many more failures than successes, just my take on this whole thing.
Fokker DII is online now Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Some Chinese Engines are pretty good. I have a few DLE engines and they all run fine. I've yet to see any engine that uses 20-1 oil run good. Stick to something with roller bearings and you'll be fine. DLE makes a good 20cc engine and quite frankly anything smaller can run Glow in my opinion.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecam View Post
Some Chinese Engines are pretty good. I have a few DLE engines and they all run fine. I've yet to see any engine that uses 20-1 oil run good. Stick to something with roller bearings and you'll be fine. DLE makes a good 20cc engine and quite frankly anything smaller can run Glow in my opinion.
Right about DLE. I have both a 20 and a 30 and after carb problems were fixed they run good for now. Hopefully for a long time. I have a Saito FG-14 that runs 20:1 and once broken in it runs like a watch. Love the 4s sound.
Fokker DII is online now Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
We had a few Saito gassers at our field and they never ran right. Sent back 3 times, new carbs, new plugs, the usual. I keep one can of gas so Roller bearings it is for me.
The DLE's are Chinese so I always check all the bolts before first start and of course tuned correctly I think they are the best Chinese engine going. Not the cheapest Chinese clone but like I said one of the best running.

Flavour Flav pull that jug off, we all would like to see who's right.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
I think this post is a repository of advances & pitfalls of the ones who knew going in it could go bad but are holding out hope for good because if it's good it's going to be really cool!

I've got more runs on the ground on mine than I can remember. Hope to get actual air time this weekend. After that I will have run 2 gallons of the 20:1 mixture and have great hope that when I take it to 30:1 it won't grenade. Synthetics can do wonderful things!

As for Chinese, Japanese or any of these, well I've owned Honda cars for decades. Has very little to do with it nowadays. I've run the wheels off of 2 RCGF engines and won't ever not have at least 1. Bushings over bearings? Yea bearings would be great. The NGH engines over 26cc have bearings. They know it would be better but nobody makes them small enough. I'm convinced all this can be beat. People had remarks a few years ago when we were converting weedwacker engines to RC but we did it and now a lot of us are sold on it. And you're welcome by the way for the pioneering!
gravityking is online now Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:13 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
First it was JBA.
Second it was NGH.
Third ought to be CRP......
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed.
I too would love to see a 9cc gasser
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Got the maiden in on mine today. Not bad! Didn't stall once. Couldn't get a smooth full power range. I could get idle to mid range or middle to WOT. Missed on the opposite power band.

Did see bubbles from the tank before the pump at half tank or less. I know, use a felt covered clunk. Going to order one right now.

Switched to 25:1 synthetic mix and ran 6 tanks through today. So far much happier than it looked like I was going to be. Progressing right along.

Anybody know what happened to the Perry carb experiment posted earlier?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:08 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Just ordered a NGH 9
Kinda curious about all of this so had to get my fingers dirty and give it a go. Nice cub to put the motor in so will keep you all posted on results. At least with the cub if the engine dies the plane will just float on down
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
I have one, I just got it in, but I haven't run it yet. Maybe this weekend. I expect it to work OK, so after some bench running, I'll put it in something.

I plan on using Coleman Lantern fuel or camp fuel in it as the Naptha doesn't stink as much as the gasoline does we have here in the USA. Nowadays our USA gas has a really annoying smell that bothers me, many years ago the gasoline smells didn't annoy me like it does nowadays. I really hate taking the gasoline can to refill at the gas station for my lawn mower, etc as it just stinks up the car really bad for the drive home. Also our USA gas has ethanol in it and in some areas a lot of ethanol in it and the ethanol may be damaging to the pump and carb diaphragms and valves. I remember a lot of guys complaining about their gasoline RC engine's pump carbs going bad fairly fast using our USA gas in them. So apparently the RC gassers have different pump parts inside than our weed wackers and lawn mowers, chain saws and leaf blowers do. As our utility engines don't seem to be affected by the ethanol in the fuel. So maybe the pump carbs having been designed and tested in China and made in China are using rubber parts and or diaphragms that don't work well with ethanol in the gasoline. The gasoline in China is different than our USA gasoline.

The engine I got smelled as though it had been test run at the factory. I found from a couple of others that NGH is indeed test running the engines at the factory. So that is pretty cool. Previously only Fox Manufacturing was the only company that test ran its engines. So NGH is pretty unique in that respect.

Yeah I had seen at our flying field and read about others having problems with Saito Gassers too. So it isn't unique for such problems to happen with something new.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 29, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Great! Join in the fun. I'm not having nearly as many problems as I thought I would.

Went out for the second group of maiden flights and the felt covered clunk is a must have. Cleared up the bubble & missing problems.

I formerly reported 14,000 RPM on an 11" prop but was mistaken, it was a 10". So thinking I was running an 11" I stepped up to the 12" to test. Not so good. 9K ish was as good as I could get and just no fun! The 12" was a Master Airscrew nylon Scimitar. Will of course try some other brands to make sure it's not the size that's the problem & order some 11" too.

So far I'm a happy boy!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
12 what? pitch is everything. You may want to try a 12.25/3.75 or an 11/4
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
12 what? pitch is everything. You may want to try a 12.25/3.75 or an 11/4
Oops..... 12X6. Definitely going to play with the ranges though.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
I have heard many complaints about that chinese carb, does anyone tried this engine with an OS carb ?
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
The problem with a glow engine carb is the air fuel ratios are different than what is needed for gasoline usage. Although you an adjust the low end and the high end, the mid-range becomes a problem as it is usually too rich then. Depending on the carb one might be able to retaper the needles to compensate. But it depends on the carb brand and design.

Something like the OS 7B thru 7D carb might be easier to modify as one can make a longer low speed needle to help control the mid-range. But even then they may need to retaper the main needle to have a more gradual taper too. Plus the spray bar may still need some tweaking as well.

The NGH carb is novel in that it is a floatless carb, it has a diaphragm and valve on it to control the fuel coming to it from the fuel pump in a similar manner to how a float does it on a flat carb. Thus it tends to like a light amount of fuel pressure in order to work.

Like this for example, my collection of low speed needles I made for a Russian carb copied from a OS 7D. The OEm original needle is on the top of the ones I made.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM.