HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
So when is it going to be available in the U.S. I already have the plane for this.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Middle March
michael chow is offline Find More Posts by michael chow
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,117 Posts
That must have been loud with no muffler . Isnt that going to change how it runs when you put it on ?
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:26 AM
Registered User
Boostoman's Avatar
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
i have a 2.9Kg Decathlon from Hobbyking with a OS46AX the engine and the plane is really underpowered. I was just about to buy the OS55 but when I saw this engine it got me thinking of installing it on this plane can you guys give me feedback?
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:33 AM
Registered User
Mikecam's Avatar
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
The 55ax is not much more powerful then the 46ax, not enough to really notice. I have both and 200 RPM is about it for mine.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
gravityking's Avatar
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoman View Post
i have a 2.9Kg Decathlon from Hobbyking with a OS46AX the engine and the plane is really underpowered. I was just about to buy the OS55 but when I saw this engine it got me thinking of installing it on this plane can you guys give me feedback?
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Seagull Decathlon or Spacewalker II for mine before it goes in my soon to be built Bonanza.Want to throw some feedback my way?
gravityking is online now Find More Posts by gravityking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
Registered User
Boostoman's Avatar
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
the decathlon is an amzing plane flys really slow so its good if you have a new engine and your expecting alot of deadsticks thats the main reason I want to put this engine in a high wing type of plane. I think I might just go ahead and buy the engine and do a review of the engine on a plane. it seems most guys here have these engines on the test stand too scared to fly them.

we also need to start a post with prop/rpm/thrust data.
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Greetz...

As a complete noob, something I'd like to know is if this engine would be suitable as a pusher.
I've read that petrol RC engines have trouble getting rid of heat compared to glow.
Using it as a pusher would give the head much less cooling than having air forced onto it from a prop in a tractor config.

Anybody with experience/gut feel?

tnx
I want to C OSD is offline Find More Posts by I want to C OSD
Last edited by I want to C OSD; Mar 04, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
Nav_Aids's Avatar
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoman View Post
we also need to start a post with prop/rpm/thrust data.
I totally agree, thrust means more to me than Hp, you can't measure Hp, just torque and rpm, and it takes torque to turn a prop. Hp tells me how fast I can spin up a prop and I don't race planes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by I want to C OSD View Post
Greetz...

As a complete noob, something I'd like to know is if this engine would be suitable as a pusher.
I've read that petrol RC engines have trouble getting rid of heat compared to glow.
Using it as a pusher would give the head much less cooling than having air forced onto it from a prop in a tractor config.

Anybody with experience/gut feel?

tnx
Since no one has used this configuration, you can only go by general rule of thumb. 2 stroke gas is similar to 2 stroke glow except it is harder to cool the gas engine. Both use the oil in the fuel to cool the engine but, the gas engine does not have any oxygen bearing Ingredients so you can't use as much oil in the gas engine. It will foul up and quit running, wet plug, also carbon and spark don't go together. So now your back to air flow and once the plane is in the air you should be fine. You can work a 2 stroke gas pretty hard but, you have to add more oil which will lower the Hp. Can be pretty touchy balancing the oil ratio and Hp out.

Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
gravityking's Avatar
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoman View Post
the decathlon is an amzing plane flys really slow so its good if you have a new engine and your expecting alot of deadsticks thats the main reason I want to put this engine in a high wing type of plane. I think I might just go ahead and buy the engine and do a review of the engine on a plane. it seems most guys here have these engines on the test stand too scared to fly them.

we also need to start a post with prop/rpm/thrust data.
Thanks Boostoman. One of my main reasons for considering the Decathlon. Didn't want to admit I may have spent money on an engine I anticipate having dead stick problems but truth is truth! Gonna drop that dime right now.
gravityking is online now Find More Posts by gravityking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav_Aids View Post
Since no one has used this configuration, you can only go by general rule of thumb. 2 stroke gas is similar to 2 stroke glow except it is harder to cool the gas engine. Both use the oil in the fuel to cool the engine but, the gas engine does not have any oxygen bearing Ingredients so you can't use as much oil in the gas engine. It will foul up and quit running, wet plug, also carbon and spark don't go together. So now your back to air flow and once the plane is in the air you should be fine. You can work a 2 stroke gas pretty hard but, you have to add more oil which will lower the Hp. Can be pretty touchy balancing the oil ratio and Hp out.

Ray
Thanks for the wisdom Ray... I'll think I'll stick to a glow for my first I.C. powered project. I'd like a bit more power than this 9cc (mainly to get me out of the poo when I screw up - a lot of experienced people have already put this bird into the dirt (the platform I've yet to buy) and if the engine's going to be a bit touchy that's another variable I'm not equipped to deal with ATM... gotta learn to crawl first, as far as I.C. engines are concerned.


tnx again, Allan.
I want to C OSD is offline Find More Posts by I want to C OSD
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:29 AM
Registered User
Boostoman's Avatar
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
I place the order for my NGH 9cc last night. I will try to test as many porps as possible and share the numbers
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
new video
Sky Rider NGH 9CC GT9 (6 min 8 sec)
flavinn is offline Find More Posts by flavinn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:43 AM
Registered User
Boostoman's Avatar
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
flavin,
thanks for the video. can you share with us detail of your plane (flying weight, prop, rpm)
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoman View Post
flavin,
thanks for the video. can you share with us detail of your plane (flying weight, prop, rpm)
Yes, this plane is weighing 2.6 kg, and 11x7 propeller RPM max 11,000 ...
flavinn is offline Find More Posts by flavinn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 2 Dec 10, 2011 12:31 PM
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 2 Oct 14, 2011 12:44 PM
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 07, 2011 11:46 AM
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Sep 24, 2011 12:25 AM
Sold NGH GT17cc gas engine NIB ibcinyourc.com Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 4 Jun 30, 2011 11:35 AM