HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:54 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Idea
Reverse-Thrust.

As can be seen from some of my Floater Jet (FJ) vids, my park flying area is just a bit challengingly short! Enter the idea of FJ reverse-thrust

I could have substituted in a RC car ESC, but that would have limited my throttle-stick throws to a half-forward & half-back, plus the BEC is pitifully low amperage. Then I found this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=reverse. This forum is a how-to for flashing Atmel8 AVR ESC's (TowerPro, BlueSeries/Mystery, Turnigy/HobbyWing, etc) to simonk's code. Its original intent was for Quadcopters ESC's as the new firmware (code) makes the ESC much smoother and responsive. Nek started the thread with simonk being the master-mind behind the code which was originally conceived and implemented by quax.

After much help I have succeeded in flashing a BlueSeries 12Amp which I pressed into service as a concept testbed. A vid of my testing is below and I have a nice new BlueSeries 30Amp ESC on its way to flash and try in my Floater Jet. Crazy times ahead!

I have programmed the ESC and 9X TX such that full-down throttle-stick is off/braked, with full-up full normal thrust (so perfectly normal so far). With the new ESC code, by adding in some throttle negative mix, via the three-position ID switch, the motor now runs backwards.

Here's a vid to show the idea. By the way the bandaid (we call them plasters) on my finger is not prop damage - its a burn from cooking a dinner. Bloody dangerous those kitchens and should be avoided

Flashed ESC to enable in-flight reverse thrust. (1 min 16 sec)

Added 1 January 2012. Welcome to the New Year everybody!

I have now flashed a new 30Amp BlueSeries ESC and installed it into my AXN. After some thought I decided to use the Rudder-Stick as my reverse control. This is activated via a TX switch and has TX-logic to ensure reverse can only be active if the stick is at or near the lowest position (normal throttle-off position). With these conditions met, moving the Rudder/Throttle stick left causes the motor to reverse proportional to how far the stick is moved left from centre. The Rudder is not active while this is in play.

Here's a vid to demonstrate. Sorry (again) for the low quality.

AXN Floater Jet - Motor reversing using Rudder-Stick. (1 min 1 sec)

Here is how I re-program ('flash') the ESC. Can now do this without removing anything from the plane
argo-2 is online now Find More Posts by argo-2
Last edited by argo-2; Jan 01, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Great job, looking forward to in flight vid.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Thanks oz. Now have a new ESC and have started to modd it. Thing is its Xmas now!! So it will have to wait a bit. Actually I write this waiting for the kids to rise and attack their presents

Will get a vid up when its done.

Cheers & Merry Xmas!
argo-2 is online now Find More Posts by argo-2