SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:24 AM
Look Sideways at Polarisation
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
There are two pairs, one with X8 burnt into them and another with just two holes.

The smaller of hte two I've glued into the wing covers, the larger into the body. Then drilled a hole through both where they meet through the hole in the wing to make a dowel plug lock to keep the wing on.
Funky Diver is offline Find More Posts by Funky Diver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:35 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2011
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
There are two pairs, one with X8 burnt into them and another with just two holes.

The smaller of hte two I've glued into the wing covers, the larger into the body. Then drilled a hole through both where they meet through the hole in the wing to make a dowel plug lock to keep the wing on.
aah.. ofc, i see that now. Are you making a buildblog for yours?
Bauf is offline Find More Posts by Bauf
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
101 Posts
hi guys
here is my setup for X8 and its ready to fly , i will test it tomorrow , but i used skywalker motor with 4s,5000 ,

s6100021 is offline Find More Posts by s6100021
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2011
243 Posts
wow,very nice. what did you do with the wings to lock them in place?
Bauf is offline Find More Posts by Bauf
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
Look Sideways at Polarisation
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
Indeed, very nice setup

I'm no where near that stage, but then I'm doing "extra" work on mine (I don't own a GoPro, so had to make space for my camera) and other stuff.
Funky Diver is offline Find More Posts by Funky Diver
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:13 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Wow! that was quick cant wait to see some more video of this bird in the air nice one. what are you going for with the CofG? I want to know this before I build my one so I can position equipment right first time I donít want lots of excess wire trailing around all over the place.... and my misses would go nuts if I was building my plane on the carpet lol
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
I'd like to see some actual instructions, but I think the photos here already tell enough of the story.

And the 64,000 dollar question is..........where is the C of G ??

I was looking for some marks or 'bumps' as indicators, but all I can find is two lumps next to the servo cut outs, is that where it balances?

Well done s6100021, thanks for posting the photos, i hope to have one in the air early next week. edit (bloody hell Nick, we were typing at the same time. Great minds...etc etc.)
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
101 Posts
i don't know what am going to do with c of g , but i will find out the first flight test ,am going to but the battery as mentioned below , hopeful will be balanced .

Bauf , I'm going to use screw 2 lock the wing
s6100021 is offline Find More Posts by s6100021
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s6100021 View Post
hi guys
here is my setup for X8 and its ready to fly , i will test it tomorrow , but i used skywalker motor with 4s,5000 ,
Sweet! Forget the plane, nice house and cars
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
what are you going for with the CofG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888 View Post
IAnd the 64,000 dollar question is..........where is the C of G ??
I haven't got mine assembled yet to take accurate measurements. But if you fill the values here it will tell you where the CoG should be http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/ Ignore the bit of the fuselage that sticks out the front and back. Just imagine the leading and trailing edges of the wing extending and meeting each other at the middle.

EDIT: The CoG value you get from the calculator you have to apply it from the point where the leading edges intersect. Not the nose of the fuselage. Basically you have to imagine that the fuselage does not exist for the purpose of all measurements.

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Last edited by Angelos; Feb 09, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
For whatever it's worth, because the joiner box in the wing is such a critical strength area, I plan to
glue both flat plywood pieces in to it solidly. That way the shorter end will plug into into the fuse
rather than the longer end into the wing as above. I'll probably just secure the wing with tape.

The CG should be somewhere between the finger holes on the bottom.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888 View Post
I'd like to see some actual instructions, but I think the photos here already tell enough of the story.

And the 64,000 dollar question is..........where is the C of G ??

I was looking for some marks or 'bumps' as indicators, but all I can find is two lumps next to the servo cut outs, is that where it balances?

Well done s6100021, thanks for posting the photos, i hope to have one in the air early next week. edit (bloody hell Nick, we were typing at the same time. Great minds...etc etc.)
hey Roland... is this going to be your next OBC contender?
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Unlikely, but once its in the air I will be loading it up with ballast and see how much its happy carrying.
Might need a bungy launch once it gets to a few kg in weight.
I'm not impressed with the elevons, they are quite thin, might be some strengthening needed in there.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Last edited by RolandS888; Feb 09, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
ian that was my thoughts on c of g last night when i was looking at it. To start with its gota balance in your hand when launching so as you say somewhere in the finger holes has to be a good point to start from.

i think i will glass the elevons i have some epoxy and 50g glass maby even a carbon rod along the rear edge to stop twist?
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
ian that was my thoughts on c of g last night when i was looking at it. To start with its gota balance in your hand when launching so as you say somewhere in the finger holes has to be a good point to start from.

i think i will glass the elevons i have some epoxy and 50g glass maby even a carbon rod along the rear edge to stop twist?
50g glass will keep them straight and true. I shouldn't think it'd need carbon as well. I'd use 2 layers of 25g glass though if you've got it.

CJ
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023