HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 04, 2013, 09:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
34 Posts
parachute for x8

This is the description of a parachute system for x8 skywalker wing. decided to upload this video because there were many questions about how the system worked, I hope this video respunda many of your questions for x8 users

parachute for x8 (4 min 11 sec)
jimcartin is offline Find More Posts by jimcartin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 05:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
I love it, try this one excelent plane and glider deleted dear friends thanks for your support
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Last edited by gtlavin56; May 07, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
AlfaHeli's Avatar
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
checking CG

Would appreciate any post references or suggestions about an easy/practical method to verify CG. Is there a special or home made tool?
AlfaHeli is offline Find More Posts by AlfaHeli
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,672 Posts
Finger tips work for me.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2013, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Finger tips work for me.
Yup, same here. I did buy one of these a while back ...................
http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...5c1c26c22c03f2

However, for a big plane like this one, using your finger tips is much easier, quicker does the job. For smaller planes where a precise balance is important, I'll use the balancer.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
Registered User
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Challenge ya to find a reversible ESC that'll turn a 3 phase motor at the Kv rating you want.
Couldn't just take a normal ESC and put a couple MOSFETs (or relays) in to switch the two terminals? Shouldn't take more than an Arduino.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2013, 04:13 AM
Registered User
King_Ice_Flash's Avatar
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Hopefully that isn't for a folding prop.
King_Ice_Flash is offline Find More Posts by King_Ice_Flash
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2013, 12:00 PM
Registered User
AlfaHeli's Avatar
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Yup, same here. I did buy one of these a while back ...................
http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...5c1c26c22c03f2

However, for a big plane like this one, using your finger tips is much easier, quicker does the job. For smaller planes where a precise balance is important, I'll use the balancer.
Thank you guys..
AlfaHeli is offline Find More Posts by AlfaHeli
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:03 AM
Registered User
techspy's Avatar
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Well I maidened my X8 yesterday. I was able to successfully wing launch it. It took a couple tries to figure out the best technique. The first 3 attempts were with 4s 8000mah and while holding it about 6 inches from the wing tip. It didn't work but I was launching over about 4 feet tall wheat so it just ended up with a bent nose that can be fixed.

I finally got it in the air by holding it about a foot from the center of the fuse for launch and using a 4s 5300mah battery. I also am running a smaller prop that I think I need (11x10) but it is producing about 700 watts. I have a larger prop on the way which my help with some static thrust to get it in the air even easier. I will try the 4s 8000 with the new prop.

Otherwise it flies great, takes a mile to land and flutters at top speed.

I will be looking for something to help slow it down. Split ailerons, air brake or something.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
The Flying Circus
ommadawn's Avatar
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Well I maidened my X8 yesterday. I was able to successfully wing launch it. It took a couple tries to figure out the best technique. The first 3 attempts were with 4s 8000mah and while holding it about 6 inches from the wing tip. It didn't work but I was launching over about 4 feet tall wheat so it just ended up with a bent nose that can be fixed.

I finally got it in the air by holding it about a foot from the center of the fuse for launch and using a 4s 5300mah battery. I also am running a smaller prop that I think I need (11x10) but it is producing about 700 watts. I have a larger prop on the way which my help with some static thrust to get it in the air even easier. I will try the 4s 8000 with the new prop.

Otherwise it flies great, takes a mile to land and flutters at top speed.

I will be looking for something to help slow it down. Split ailerons, air brake or something.
HK airbrakes work well
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:56 AM
Registered User
techspy's Avatar
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
The ones that pop straight up? I remember seeing that being a possibility but there was a question of it causing unintentional pitch. Has it been tested and shown to work correctly?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:02 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
flutters at top speed.
Follow Deamons guide for wing enforcement. No flutter.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
The Flying Circus
ommadawn's Avatar
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
The ones that pop straight up? I remember seeing that being a possibility but there was a question of it causing unintentional pitch. Has it been tested and shown to work correctly?
These work just fine
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=spoiler
I use flight stabilization so pitch is not a problem, but without stabilization I get nose dropping a bit on deployment, which isnt a problem.
She comes down quite quickly.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1358658441
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1358658441
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:57 PM
FPV in Hawaii
iskess's Avatar
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Has anyone tried twin rudders on the winglets? If so, has anyone tried to use them opposing each other to act as speed brakes?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 01:04 AM
Psalm 37:4
HawkHunter's Avatar
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Has anyone tried twin rudders on the winglets? If so, has anyone tried to use them opposing each other to act as speed brakes?
Here is one on YouTube:
X8 drag-rudder/brake (left wing) (0 min 50 sec)
HawkHunter is offline Find More Posts by HawkHunter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product X8---new 2.4GHz Radio System ASSAN Radios 5708 Jun 25, 2014 01:20 PM
For Sale Assan 2.4 ghz X8 6ch receiver Brand New Scooter33 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Oct 12, 2011 09:34 AM
Discussion Any info regarding this x8 setup?Better than coax x8? sjak Multirotor Talk 11 Aug 14, 2011 08:33 AM
Sold New Assan Module X8 2.4 for JR Tx norstaroption Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Nov 21, 2009 05:42 AM
Sold New - 4 (Four) ASSAN X8 R6 6Ch 2.4GHz Receivers - $105 EyeFlyPlanes Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 20, 2008 02:39 AM