HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Fantastic build - you might want to add some day-glo orange stripes on the bottom to help with orientation. You could do it up like a USAF trainer with bright colors that are used to help locate the wreckage.
Cool sounds good added orange stripes last night so up for a maiden today. Ordered another x8 just in-case ........
Andyman101 is offline Find More Posts by Andyman101
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:48 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
Hi,

I seen in this pages, that some X8 have spin problems.
I'm not an X8 owner, but if it can be useful, this is how I solve this sort of problem with my flying wings, which have no more vertical fin for fifteen years :

stabilisation lacet (2 min 28 sec)

That is the most flat music which I was able to find, but if you find worse, just let me know
Fred Van_H is offline Find More Posts by Fred Van_H
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:47 AM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Interesting video, thanks.

Unfortunatly it is in a language which is close to Swahili.
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by emax; Mar 29, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:47 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
That is exactly what I said, when I first had to learn english.
This can be usful, all right :
http://www.reverso.net/text_translation.aspx?lang=EN
It don't knows swahili, but with french, it works
Sorry, when I made this video, I didn't thought I'd post it on an english speaking forum. Images speaks alone, it can be enough

But I'll help you and translate:
This system is very simple, if you exept the airbreakes, which don't open the same time, and have to be included when you built the plane.
They are controlled as usual like the rudder with the stick, but not only : they are mixed ailevon-->rudder , a gyro helps to calm down the ocsillations, and a sensor, which is a simple potentiometer with a little surface of thin foam or balsa, detects if the plane is or not in line in the wind. This potentiometer is simply in parallel with the servo's pot.
It's very efficient. No need of vertical surface, except the aileron of shark. It allows to turn tight bends, invert from right to left even at low speed, and make the planes refuses to spin. It allows too, to move a little back the C.G.

If it can help...
Fred
Last edited by Fred Van_H; Mar 29, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Mar 2013
78 Posts
Fred Van_H

Wow, what an interesting concept for yaw control on a wing!

What is the resistance value of the potentiometer, I'm guessing a 10K would work?

Not going to use it on the X8, but I have another project in mind.
Jarold C is online now Find More Posts by Jarold C
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van_H View Post
But I'll help you and translate:
Thank you for that :-)
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:59 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarold C View Post
What is the resistance value of the potentiometer, I'm guessing a 10K would work?

Not going to use it on the X8, but I have another project in mind.
I think it's a 100K . It comes from a joystick for PC. You can find some pots that moves with low effort, in this sort of devices.
It can be important to eliminate the mechanical abutments ot the servo, because it may go further than usual.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:11 PM
France
Joined Mar 2011
62 Posts
Superbe, on dirait une Horten sans vrillage.
jmcclv is offline Find More Posts by jmcclv
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:19 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,882 Posts
I imagine you could use a heli gyro to do the same thing??
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van_H View Post
Hi,

I seen in this pages, that some X8 have spin problems.
I'm not an X8 owner, but if it can be useful, this is how I solve this sort of problem with my flying wings, which have no more vertical fin for fifteen years :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQ0AZUum_U

That is the most flat music which I was able to find, but if you find worse, just let me know
das shmectt.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:20 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I imagine you could use a heli gyro to do the same thing??
Yes, I use a heli gyro
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:13 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
A circuit diagram would be very helpful. Plus instructions on how to set it up. Thanks.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Finally maiden flight!! and maiden launcher!!

password: rcgroups

X8 Maiden Succes. 2nd flight crash! (4 min 3 sec)

Curious what you guys think how this happened...... I thinkkkk I know

Maiden was perfect. but...... second flight CRASH
Maiden launcher success, retractable Gopro, pan tilt all ok.
So things couldn't be better.
Some wobbling effect in the video but that's something for later to fix. Balancing prop and some damping.

2nd flight, crash!
Suddenly no control anymore. First I had no clue why this could be but when we reviewed the video I think I know the cause:

First of all I did not have live audio today since I didn't bring the extension cord. Ashame cause when you HEAR the prop and wind it is so much easier to react on things.

It is a foldable propeller, great but there is a chance that the tips get tangled up when the engine suddenly stops.
You can prevent this (and I did) by making a folding stopper but I made this from an plastic business card and now I think this is too soft.
I still think it is amazing that they still catch each other.
I also did not attach the spinner in the prop which makes the stopper even weaker.(bend easily)
Apparently I had a failsafe for a second (motor stops) (in the turn) (I for sure did not give idle power) and then I think they got tangled.
1 second later I hear a strange spinup again and then the bad shaking.
I had no clue it could be this problem. (not used to foldable props AND I made that folding stopper)

So the only thing I saw was some shaking, but the Amps were normal (around 10A) but I was falling out of the sky.... Straight stall first and then last meters entered the spin

Ouch ouch
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
Last edited by wep; Apr 08, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:47 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,882 Posts
It isnt a good idea to be test flying a new plane over a populated area. It was just dumb luck that you didnt hit a house/car/person. Remember that when one of us screws up it can affect ALL of us.
Please use a little more common sense if you intend to try again.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
It isnt a good idea to be test flying a new plane over a populated area. It was just dumb luck that you didnt hit a house/car/person. Remember that when one of us screws up it can affect ALL of us.
Please use a little more common sense if you intend to try again.
+1. as much i call my rc model aircrafts toys i still play in a safe sandbox, ie a sanctioned flying field. there was recently a news report of a moron flying an uav at an large airport interfering with the runways. it won't take many numb nuts to get all of us regulated to the point of having to only be able to fly micros in our living rooms.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly