SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Yeah, that's what I did yesterday. Thanks for feedback. I did get it flying for the first time.

Here's a video.

http://youtu.be/tLneOWxEk1I

Yesterday's initial setup.

Turnigy g32 and 13x8 cf folder
2x4S in parallel, 12,000 total MAh
APM2, ardu 2.69
Lawmate 1.2 ghz at 1000mW
RFD 900 for telemetry
Dragonlink UHF RX/tx

Have a turnigy g46 and 14x8 prop to test next. Once I settle on the power arrangement plan on upgrading to a high end more/esc.
That's looks great. There is another X8 at my flying field. His is loaded to the brim with every imaginable piece of equipment and mine is flown simply as an RC airplane (empty). His and mine fly at a slightly different attitude from each other. He has tried to unwarp that trailing edge on the fuse and I left mine alone. He didn't like it because it tended to nose dive so he left it alone. I hand toss mine. He used to. He no longer wants to risk his hand so he built a catapult. His is way more powerful than mine and he fluttered his wings on a level fly by going abut 140 kph. He has his set to cruise on automatic at 50 kph. He uses his for oil pipeline aerial survey and has just added 2 more X8s to his fleet.
I guess using the level on the cross beam is a good place to start but is no guarantee that's "level". My point is that each X8 may have a different attitude for "level" depending on how it's configured and how it came from the factory and whether or not you've tried to unwarp it.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:43 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Turnigy g32 and 13x8 cf folder
Have a turnigy g46 and 14x8 prop to test next.
It would be interresting to know what KV you use for the G32 and the G46.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:00 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
It would be interresting to know what KV you use for the G32 and the G46.
The G32 is 770kv. The 46 is a 550 which I have not tested.

I'm getting 45 minute+ cruises on the G32. AUW is 3.8kg.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
My idea is to try 4s with a 14x9 folding prop first which provides enough thrust and a moderate speed. This is exactly what I think is best for the beginning. You can play with this here.
I had a look. Don't you think this configuration is a bit underpowered? I don't have flying experience yet, but it seems to me you should then use at least 6S. Gives you power for emergency and also a much better efficiency.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Oso,
I set my level bubble off the cross beams that the CF tube runs through. When the X-8 is level north/south on that beam. I set the bubble on my AP. And yes, I use bubble levels that I keep in the model. A landing can slightly move the AP which would upset the level flight next time out. I found it important to secure the wires into the AP so they would not move the AP out of position.
As long as you calibrate the AP when it boots, you shouldn't really have any issues with that. If you're that concerned, just use a couple books to level the wings. What autopilot are you using, APM2.5?
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:49 AM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
My idea is to try 4s with a 14x9 folding prop first which provides enough thrust and a moderate speed.
That's a bad idea. That motor may be kinda large, but you'll be drawing huge amps at 4S with that propeller, and will probably burn your motor. Either go to 6S or get a smaller prop.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:11 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
As long as you calibrate the AP when it boots, you shouldn't really have any issues with that. If you're that concerned, just use a couple books to level the wings. What autopilot are you using, APM2.5?
It's an APM 2. Yeah I get that, was just unsure of the actual pitch when the plane is flying level.

It looks like it cruises slightly nose up, with the bottom ridge parallel to the ground, not sure.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
That's a bad idea. That motor may be kinda large, but you'll be drawing huge amps at 4S with that propeller, and will probably burn your motor. Either go to 6S or get a smaller prop.
According to eCalc (see here and just click OK to see the filled in forms) the current is quite low.
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by emax; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,871 Posts
Thrust and pitch speed are also extremely low.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:49 PM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Yes, thats true. You can probably help me here, as I am not very experienced in such configurations. I had the idea, that a low pitch wouldn't be that critical, since my intend is to cruise at low speeds for maximum efficiency.

However, with a 5s configuration things change. Would you think that this was a reasonable configuration? I have the motor already lying here and would like to give it try, but would of course as well try a different one (such as the A30 mentioned before in this thread).
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,221 Posts
Hi Ian,

Are you curving your top/bottom ribbon spars, or leaving them strait?

Cheers

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You most likely won't. It'll do 80km/h at 20Amps flying level, and 110km in a power off,
low angle dive.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
Crash or unscheduled landing?
Joined Dec 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Fly it manually first on a low fly-by? Each X8 wing comes with a natural upward warp on the trailing edge of the fuse wing root. Some are warped more than others and some people even clip that edge so it's in line with the main wing trailing edge. Depending on your warp or if you've pinned them, your flying attitude will be different anyway.
I found this out today when I glued my X8 together. I thought I had done something wrong. I will probably add a tab to keep the wing in line with the main fuse.

Loved the canopy catch jcarff! Dubro latch not available in UK, so went with a simple M8 nylon bolt...
ffinybryn is offline Find More Posts by ffinybryn
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Hi Ian,

Are you curving your top/bottom ribbon spars, or leaving them strait?
Straight.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Newbie Success... Video!

It's official! I have proven that a complete RC airplane novice can build and fly an X8 as their first project (literally my first plane... but I have practiced on computer simulators A LOT!!). It took me a long time... I started getting parts together in November 2012 (started reading here long before that!!). HAM license achieved in January (not only important to be 'legal', but also forces you to learn so much useful info that translates directly into FPV).

Anyway... X8, Futaba 9cap off ebay, DragonLink and DOSD, FY30 (I used Xlator to connect to DOSD), Castle Creations ICE 75, 4s2p 10,000, Hacker A30-12XL-V2, 11x8 AeroNaut folding prop. I got all my video gear from ReadyMadeRC... great supplier IMO.

I owe a great debt to all contributors of this thread, especially Ian. I did your carbon spars... thank you. I used your ELE/AIL throws and D/R and rudder mix... thank you! I've memorized your spin recovery technique... thanks again!! (no spins yet).

CG as recommended on this forum (at, or just in front of back edge of finger holes). Plane is as stable and easy to fly as I could imagine (much easier than I expected from some of the warnings I've read about it being 'too much for rookies, etc....'). My first flight was LOS, all subsequent have been FPV. Launches are easier than I'd imagined... but I've had 2 "failed launches"... no damage. Just needs a stout throw! I am ecstatic, thrilled and proud... and very thankful for all I've learned from reading this entire thread.

Thank you all. And if you're a 'new guy' just reading here... don't be too scared to jump into the deep end. It just takes determination, patience and a mature respect and understanding of the level of responsibility you're taking on. I went from being "interested" and "mechanically inclined" to FLYING an X8 'from the pilot's seat'!! It's better than I hoped it'd be!!

Thank you again to all contributors!

From my video, you'll see my flight finesse is a bit lacking... choppy inputs-- sorry about that. I'll get better with practice. I also am a rookie YouTube poster and video editor... working on that too.

Cheers!

X8 FPV Minnetonka SUNNY & CALM!!! (6 min 0 sec)
MNGT3 is offline Find More Posts by MNGT3
Last edited by MNGT3; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM.