SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
The glue provided is quite good. If you don't like it, use UHU Por. A few pages back (471) Daemon gave a list of the "Must do mods".
or gorilla glue in north america. buy the white colour that's activated with water. i doubt you'll ever get breaks at the bond. its that strong.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:33 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenSmith123 View Post
With all do respect, 8 months is what I'm trying to avoid. I understand that I need to read the thread but it's almost 500 pages long and it can be a little straining on the eyes.... especially if your job already requires you to sit in front of the computer for 8 hours a day
I think there are only 2 very essential modifications:

1) Put the servo push rods on top of the wing
2) Secure the hatch

If you stay under 3.5Kg and fly moderate (less then 80Km/H), that will be enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Last edited by Pattaya01; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
I think there are only 2 very essential modifications:

1) Put the servo push rods on top of the wing
2) Secure the hatch

If you stay under 3.5Kg and fly moderate (less then 80Km/H), that will be enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks Pattaya,

I'll definitely be staying below 80km/h. Appreciate the help
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenSmith123 View Post
I'll definitely be staying below 80km/h. Appreciate the help
You most likely won't. It'll do 80km/h at 20Amps flying level, and 110km in a power off,
low angle dive.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You most likely won't. It'll do 80km/h at 20Amps flying level, and 110km in a power off,
low angle dive.
what do you think of the HK rtf fat shark setup for a first fpv system if you don't mind? please and thanks.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
dave2525
Australia, NSW, Caringbah South
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Both valid points but to be perfectly honest in MY case I need money for the..
Video tx
Video rx
FPV goggles
OSD and its components
Long range system
stabilization system
Motor
ESC
Tripod
Ground station and all of its components

The list for most of the essential fpv gear alone is very pricey for reliable equipment!
I have had other commitments and priorities before this hence the 8 month build
dave2046 is offline Find More Posts by dave2046
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:49 PM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Whew, I did it! Read all the 7131 posts of this thread. I am a hero

First of all thanks to all you guys, I've learned a lot, gotten new ideas, dismissed others. My X8 is on the way to Germany

What really bothered me are the full-quotes, which is all bloat. Seeing a 2000 character quote follwed by a comment just saying "whats your setup?" is really pesky . It's a waste of bandwith, time and concentration.

But besides this the thread is a great resource.

And kudos to you, Ian. You over and over answered the same questions. And though your answers feel sometimes a bit chilly, you're a great source of knowledge and experience. For the next thread on my list, the skywalker thread , I've learned my lesson: this time, I will just filter 'Daemons' answers out of it. So I can get 70% of the essence of that thead with just reading 10% of it

It's not sweet talk, it's just so.
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:37 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
Whew, I did it! Read all the 7131 posts of this thread. I am a hero

For the next thread on my list, the skywalker thread ,
Yes, you are a hero. I only managed about 1/2 before I gave up. What bothered me was many people giving their setup, which is very good, but then forget to mention the prop size, or the # of cells or the motor KV size which makes the whole information worthless. Stefan is trying to do his best with this list of setups, but still missing so much information that is so easy to give to him by the people who gave him the info in the first place. I saw his asking them many times....

For people like you and me, who are new to this plane (I haven't done my maiden flight yet, waiting for 2 servo's), it is hard to find basic info, unless you work your way through the whole treat.

I am sure by now, with so many people flying this thing for long time, it should be very easy to create a new treat (or 1 page on this treat) with the most essential information. Most of us "newbees" just need a starting point. This thing flies very well with a .....KV motor, .....Watts and ..x.. prop on .. cells. If you do this and this mod, you will be safe. From there, we can build up experience and become "experts" as well.

This treat has become soo massive, you have to be a hero to work your way through. By the way, what "Skywalker treat" are you talking about?
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:34 AM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
For people like you and me, who are new to this plane (I haven't done my maiden flight yet, waiting for 2 servo's), it is hard to find basic info, unless you work your way through the whole treat.
I must admit that reading the thread was my pastime until the X8 delivery.

Quote:
This treat has become soo massive, you have to be a hero to work your way through. By the way, what "Skywalker treat" are you talking about?
Haha, you do not know it? You'll find this thread here cute in comparison to 'The Skywalker Thread', which has in a way indeed developed from a thread into a threat ...

But lets talk X8. My idea for a setup is as follows:

- a Hacker A40 12L 14P V2 ist already lying on my desk together with a Hacker ESC 70A. I know this motor is more then necessary, but with 270 grams it is not too much for the X8 but technically allows for 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s setups in one wash. Technically means: with the right prop for each voltage-configuration you can achieve any characteristic from 'endurance' to 'power'. Whether a technically correct setup makes sense is a different story and has to be found out.

My idea is to try 4s with a 14x9 folding prop first which provides enough thrust and a moderate speed. This is exactly what I think is best for the beginning. You can play with this here.

PS: There is BTW a 'link generator' on the bottom of that page which I consider much better then screenshots.
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by emax; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Is there a good level flight reference point in the cabin of the X8?

i.e. while in level flight, is the bottom floor of the interior or other area level. I'm trying to set a level flight attitude in my autopilot on the bench.

perhaps there's a better method.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Is there a good level flight reference point in the cabin of the X8?

i.e. while in level flight, is the bottom floor of the interior or other area level. I'm trying to set a level flight attitude in my autopilot on the bench.

perhaps there's a better method.
Fly it manually first on a low fly-by? Each X8 wing comes with a natural upward warp on the trailing edge of the fuse wing root. Some are warped more than others and some people even clip that edge so it's in line with the main wing trailing edge. Depending on your warp or if you've pinned them, your flying attitude will be different anyway.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Oso,
I set my level bubble off the cross beams that the CF tube runs through. When the X-8 is level north/south on that beam. I set the bubble on my AP. And yes, I use bubble levels that I keep in the model. A landing can slightly move the AP which would upset the level flight next time out. I found it important to secure the wires into the AP so they would not move the AP out of position.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Fly it manually first on a low fly-by? Each X8 wing comes with a natural upward warp on the trailing edge of the fuse wing root. Some are warped more than others and some people even clip that edge so it's in line with the main wing trailing edge. Depending on your warp or if you've pinned them, your flying attitude will be different anyway.
Yeah, that's what I did yesterday. Thanks for feedback. I did get it flying for the first time.

Here's a video.

Initial Flight Tests (2 min 54 sec)

Yesterday's initial setup.

Turnigy g32 and 13x8 cf folder
2x4S in parallel, 12,000 total MAh
APM2, ardu 2.69
Lawmate 1.2 ghz at 1000mW
RFD 900 for telemetry
Dragonlink UHF RX/tx

Have a turnigy g46 and 14x8 prop to test next. Once I settle on the power arrangement plan on upgrading to a high end more/esc.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:40 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Yeah, that's what I did yesterday. Thanks for feedback. I did get it flying for the first time.

Here's a video.

http://youtu.be/tLneOWxEk1I

Yesterday's initial setup.

Turnigy g32 and 13x8 cf folder
2x4S in parallel, 12,000 total MAh
APM2, ardu 2.69
Lawmate 1.2 ghz at 1000mW
RFD 900 for telemetry
Dragonlink UHF RX/tx

Have a turnigy g46 and 14x8 prop to test next. Once I settle on the power arrangement plan on upgrading to a high end more/esc.
Do you have pictures of your placement of all your equipment as I have the same equipment and thinking about getting an X8 for spring to install it in.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
704 Posts
it is possible that this has been addressed since I have not read all 476 pages here but to give a little extra durability to the x-8 I am covering it with this product

http://www.alofthobbies.com/new-stuf...ing-films.html

it comes in differnt thicknesses i'm putting 5mil on the bottom and 3mill on the top
as you see it one the roll the roll is 18 inches wide and you pay for it by the foot so if you buy one it would be 1 foot x 18 inches or 1ft x 1.5ft square
if you get 10 foot you would get a roll 10ft long by 1.5 foot across
I got way more than I needed as I got 45 foot of the 3m and 24 foot of the 5mil so i'm going to have tons of extra
satgod is offline Find More Posts by satgod