Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
What are the chances that I will break a blade if I use a fixed (non-folding) blade?
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:33 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Likely, and probably rip out the whole motor and bend a shaft
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:02 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenSmith123 View Post
What are the chances that I will break a blade if I use a fixed (non-folding) blade?
If your motor mount is good and solid, as in having bolts that run through the foam barrier with a solid plate of some kind on the other side and blind nuts, I'd say about 25% or less. I have a Funjet Ultra and rarely does anyone use a folding prop on those and I've never broken a blade on a normal landing with it. Just make sure the power is off just prior to touch down. Now, having said that, the X8 is much bigger and heavier and it uses a much bigger prop so more of it can dig into the ground when you touch down and if it just happens to be in the right position, it could dig in. It might snap off or it might just rotate out of the way. Depends on the terrain you're landing in.
If you're mounting the motor without nuts and bolts, then NO, don't use a solid prop.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
680 Posts
i've seen videos of ALOT of people using stock (non-folding props)
in theory the airflow will turn the prop but when it comes horizontal to the wing airflow on the prop is minimum and will not turn
Dont hold me to this is just what others have said
satgod is offline Find More Posts by satgod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
680 Posts
I was looking at possibly using real (low profile wing servos) on my X-8 the ones i'm looking at are 6kg @4.8v and 7kg @6v

this should be plenty from what i've read, correct
satgod is offline Find More Posts by satgod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:49 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
I never use folding props on flying wigs and rarely break one. If you leave your ESC's brake function off the spinning prop helps slow the plane down. With the brake turned on it will stop the prop's rotation and reduce drag.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:28 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
With the brake OFF, the prop will spin all the way to the ground.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:44 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
That's correct as stated in my post. I do it all the time and rarely break a prop. Just slow down your approach.
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satgod View Post
i've seen videos of ALOT of people using stock (non-folding props)
Links please! I've seen two people using regular props on the X8 and one posted video of the motor being pulled off. One had screws, one with bolts. The one with bolts was at our field. He tore off the entire motor bulkhead on his third flight. He also flies smaller wings with fixed props, usually without major damage.
Jeff Watt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Watt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:22 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,821 Posts
How about using 3mm nylon screws or threaded rod to mount the motor, through a bulkhead on both sides. The plastic will shear off in times of crisis. Remember, a pusher tends to holds itself in place by pushing against the firewall, so the screws are there to stop it rotating.
They are not under much load.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,245 Posts
I did run a fixed prop on my Foamaroo and as long as it wasn't spinning when it
touched down (brake must be set) it was almost always fine. But that was only a 10x7.
Running a 12" or bigger prop on the X8, I'm sure would lower the odds of success.
I kinda doubt it'll rip the motor off, unless you try to run it after half the prop is missing.
It's a lot easier for the prop to turn out of the way on contact than to pry the motor off
its mount.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
I had to take a few months off from my x8 build, but i am back to it in full force. Pictures to come later. I have a couple question for the community that i hope i can get some feedback on.

1) What alternatives can you come up with instead of gluing the 2 half's of the body together. I saw a build thread a little while ago where they simple wrapped tape around key parts of the body, allowing them to open it back up later for mode mods. I was thinking about creating some inserts and bolting the 2 halves together with about 14 bolts. i don't mind if it takes time to separate the 2 halves, i just want the option to make modifications easier.

2) And also how important do you feel it is to have a belly plate on the plane, my thermal former is not quite large enough for this body, but i have a coworker who has offered to carbon fiber the bottom for me.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,245 Posts
It's a big heavy plane that sometimes lands hard. Trying to fly it without
the halves glued together is a bad idea. There's no part of the plane you
can't reach from the monster hatch. Can't imagine what mods you could make
where you'd need to separate it again. Bolting it together would only great
a bunch of stress risers where it will crack.

Kevlar protection on nose and bottom is very useful. Carbon is strong, but brittle.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
It's a big heavy plane that sometimes lands hard. Trying to fly it without
the halves glued together is a bad idea. There's no part of the plane you
can't reach from the monster hatch. Can't imagine what mods you could make
where you'd need to separate it again. Bolting it together would only great
a bunch of stress risers where it will crack.

Kevlar protection on nose and bottom is very useful. Carbon is strong, but brittle.

ian
Any particular kevlar that you would recommend? And from any specific vendor? I've never worked with kevlar but would love to beef up my bird.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,245 Posts
I use 1.7oz Kevlar I purchased from ACP Composites. Someone posted
a cheaper source in this thread a while back. Search for Kevlar and you may find it.
Here are my mods.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22195044
RCG Plus Member