SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
To those flying with FPV cam and gopro, where did you place them and do you regret the placement?

I have seen some people cutout the little cam slot on the nose of the plane to fit the gopro and there are others that simply place it atop the fuselage. Then there is the gopro compartment provided within the fuselage.

It would seem ideal to place the gopro within the fuselage but people seem to think that the area is not too practical due to impact on landings. Have people completely written off the area or can the hole be protected by some kind of impact resistant glass/plastic?

It also seems that gopro black hero3 is not suitable for FPV due to image delay is that the consensus? Just trying to determine if I can do without the FPV cam.

Thanks!
tahj33 is offline Find More Posts by tahj33
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:55 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
What's the best tow hook position ion relation to the CG for an X8 for bungee launching?

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Tahj33: I have GoPro2 on the carved nose hole. The GoPro wifi is not suitable for FPV, the latency is 2-3 seconds. There is no real reason why that long latency would be needed, but it is just about the video coding done wrong way for this application in mind. It would be possible to make digital FPV, even with high HD quality with low latency, but seems that nobody is working towards it and I don't have the time.

My X8 is reinforced from inside with glass epoxy matrix and that holds the nose together despite being agressively carved to fit the GoPro with the protective housing flush with the nose of the X8.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:22 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordega View Post
Hi Kiwikid, very nice job. But just a question, what is the purpose of the wing extentions,
Is it tecnical (what advantages) or just for good looking (looks awsome btw)?
Thank you. Yeah, it's just me playing silly buggers with a Luft '46 theme - see BV 215 pic below. The X-8 is in the paint shop now getting a similar treatment. The winglets are from a HK Parkjet so probably add a modest amount of lift. I set them up so the bottom of the main wing touches the ground just before they would and landings have been OK so far.
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ModelAero Polaris Ultra
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
705 Posts
one more X8 vid

Jarun i okolica iz zraka, part 1 (5 min 11 sec)

regarding this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22995456
and all those hd cameras have lower sensitivity than small fpv cameras.

at the end there is a comparison of an cheap FPV cam (30$ Sony 0.1 lux 520 TVL gfrom HobbyKing) and GoPro HD on the right
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Dec 03, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,146 Posts
The GoPro live out has always let it down. I tried a few times, useless especially in the lower light of the UK.

I`m the same as Ian though, put it in the intended place and it will only get smashed to bits. I have mine on the fuse joint line pointing slightly down ( less boring sky in shot ) and its fairly safe there
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
Ya, HD and H2 live out has extra contrast added for no apparent reason.
The Hero3 Black's live out (especially in Protune mode) can see in the dark as well
as any security camera (excluding low-lux lenses), but the H3 is still a little too flaky
to trust as a primary flight cam.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
in terms of tow hook....about 3 inches back from where the lump starts on the underside.

I launched it with the hobbyking bungees for first time (was using other bungees) and they are great. dont know the tension as lost my scales but i just decided to stretch it to twice its length (2 x 10m lengths of bungee side by side) and it launched it with no trouble at all....took off with ease.
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Thank you. Yeah, it's just me playing silly buggers with a Luft '46 theme - see BV 215 pic below. The X-8 is in the paint shop now getting a similar treatment. The winglets are from a HK Parkjet so probably add a modest amount of lift. I set them up so the bottom of the main wing touches the ground just before they would and landings have been OK so far.
Thanks mate, I like your way of thinking(and playing).
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
All of my EDFs that are bungee launch have the tow hook 50% - 60% from the nose to the CG ( 60% being closer to the CG)
This gives A LOT of forward velocity with a gentle rise.

My bungee sailplanes are about 10 % - 15% from the CG ( closer to the nose )
this sends the sailplane almost straight up, with very little forward velocity. To get some altitude and start thermal hunting.

Cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Brian. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the "50-60%" Are you measuring the nose and then putting the hook 60% back (if the distance from the nose to the CG is 100mm you put it at 60mm) or using another measurement to calculate the distance?

Thanks again,

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
All of my EDFs that are bungee launch have the tow hook 50% - 60% from the nose to the CG ( 60% being closer to the CG)
This gives A LOT of forward velocity with a gentle rise.

My bungee sailplanes are about 10 % - 15% from the CG ( closer to the nose )
this sends the sailplane almost straight up, with very little forward velocity. To get some altitude and start thermal hunting.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
Trying an off the shelf solution Jimmy?

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:41 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
Jimmy,
You are correct. Measure the distance from the nose to the CG. This will be X

Take X multiply that by the percentage back 60% ( 0.60 )

If we take your example of 100mm from nose to CG.
100 x 0.60 = 60mm back from the nose

Or 300mm for my Maxi Swift
300 x 0.60 = 180mm back from the nose.

I don't recall off hand what the actual measurement of my X8 is, but I'll measure it when I get back home. (Business Trip) that should be Thursday evening or Friday. That way you'll have my exact measurements are.

Cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
It's 1.7oz Kevlar cloth, sold here.
http://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=252 It ain't cheap, but I use it for lots of stuff.
There's a way modify any pair of cheap scissors to cut Kevlar.
I use a dusting of Super77th spray adhesive on the cloth to stick it down to the foam and
smooth it out by hand, and then thin CA to bond it to the foam (in a well ventilated area).

ian
Great. Thx !
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:56 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Mike - Have an X8 and want to do some experimentation with it. Not really happy with the flexy wings so we'll see. May have to make my own wings for the fuse.

Brian - thanks for the explanation. I'll set it at 60% and see how it does. Not sure if I want to use a stomp launcher with it or if I'll just hand launch it with the bungee.

Jimmy