HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined May 2009
801 Posts
X8 launch dolly

Hi Frank / G-Forced.
Is that yours or my X8....???? looks the same to me.
Launch dollys......the Queen Bee's first try was unsuccessful because of lack of power of the motor.....it was chosen for cruise/duration and not speed or climb etc.
I have since upgraded the motor and launched the QB successfully off the dolly.....but there are some lessons to be learnt here , feel free to add to the list if you can.
1......dolly needs some kind of wheel suspention....on rough ground the model vibrates/slides across the pads on the dolly with the fear of prop strike etc....or use the dolly off very flat/even ground etc.
2....model sits on the vertical side panels/wall's of the dolly which are covered with foam rubber ( to protect the wing from damage when sitting on the panels)
3.....My QB weight was 3.2 kg ( 6 lbs). The angle of the sides is positive 2 degrees so the model sits at a positive angle of attack ready for take off.
4....some kind of steering would be an advantage when cross wind launching....or attachment of the dolly to the model so it tracks the same as each other......the model will want to head into the breeze...the dolly can't with out a rudder ????.
5....the dolly can be wider to accommodate the size of props you want to use.
6.....keep the launch dolly as light as you can...you will want the model on the dolly to get to take off speed as soon as possible.
7...".large" soft, wheels/tyres will work the best.
I will be launching my X8 off this dolly when the time comes.
I have a video of the QB with the new motor taking off from the dolly.....it did'nt sit on it for very long ....i need to edit and post it.....soon.
Photos of the early launch dolly .
.....Pete
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Pete, thanks for the reply.

* On the second picture, you have verticle holding mounts. Do these created any resistance ? should they not be positioned forward slightly to allow the wing to clear these with ease ?

* My field I launch from is a cricked field so nice and smooth. But taking your lessons in to account, would a " restricted free castering " tail wheel work well here ? I think it might.. ???

Thanks Pete
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined May 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
Pete, thanks for the reply.

* On the second picture, you have verticle holding mounts. Do these created any resistance ? should they not be positioned forward slightly to allow the wing to clear these with ease ?

* My field I launch from is a cricked field so nice and smooth. But taking your lessons in to account, would a " restricted free castering " tail wheel work well here ? I think it might.. ???

Thanks Pete
Hi G-Forced.....feel free to modify this type of launch dolly to suit your different requirements.
This one is by no means perfect.
I have the intention to mount a GoPro on the dolly to capture exactly what happens to the model during take off so a better idea on how it should be built and how the model re-acts on the dolly during take of.
If your attempts at a launch dolly are successful....dont forget to post the results.
......Pete
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:16 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Ill will give it a go Pete.. Love these types of project. If I can get some fair results.. I sure there will be someone with enough knowledge to get it right.
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Ommadown, just a question: are you not scared that the VTX is fixed so close to the ESC? Could this create undesired noise to the VTX?
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,973 Posts
My ESC and VTX are closer than that....both in the rear bay of my x-8. So far no issues but I don't fly as far as many others. Mostly 3-4 km out. It might not be an issue at that range
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:52 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
Just got back from spending the morning flying the X8 along the coast. First time I have flown it since about April before winter and upgrades set in.

Upgrades are fibreglass spar on the top and bottom of the wing to create an I-beam (like how the zephyr wings are built), a wood plate on the front bulkhead for fuselage stiffness and a fresh cover with gloss black 3M film stuff.

The result is a really stable plane that no longer flaps. Even in strong winds and high speed it sails smoothly. Im very happy. The camera footage has improved too, probably because of less wing bending.

Also checked some telemetry (but forgot to put a mem card in the ground recorder), it can cruise at about 50kph at around 7Amps, although it was difficult to judge accurately as the wind was high. The motor is pretty good although more power for launching wouldnt hurt.

motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Q_2826_12.html
prop: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...propeller.html
Draws about 45-50A at full throttle on 4S. I have some more props to try eventually but a scoop for air to cool the motor will have to come next.

Plane weight is 2.95kg with gopro and 660mah 4S. Launched with my usual one wing tip on the ground while I hold the other, power up and guide the lifted wing. Also tried launching where a friend held the X8 above his head and popped it up into the air. That worked equally well, better even as you launch from higher.
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
We took our X8 out on it's maiden flight today. It handled like a dream!

yoniweb is offline Find More Posts by yoniweb
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post

Launched with my usual one wing tip on the ground while I hold the other, power up and guide the lifted wing. Also tried launching where a friend held the X8 above his head and popped it up into the air.
Opt,

We need video of that "discus" style launch you do with the wing (from a video cam, not the aricraft mounted cam). There are several guys interested in it!
Jeff Watt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Watt
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
My ESC and VTX are closer than that....both in the rear bay of my x-8. So far no issues but I don't fly as far as many others. Mostly 3-4 km out. It might not be an issue at that range
ESC and VTX are both Rf emitters, which means they generally don't affect each other,
and is why I also have them quite close to each other. The only time an ESC will generally
mess with the video is on the power side, through the wires. What you want to avoid is
an Rf emitter (VTX, some cameras, etc) next to an Rf receiver (RC Rx).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,973 Posts
Makes sense.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:12 AM
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Thanks Ian, that was my confusion.
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
Daemon
please help us to find the best place for putting all the stuff...
i put the skywalker stuff on the X8 (lawmate 2.4ghz, range link tx, fy21ap with gps, same esc, same camera...)
with the skywalker at 10 km no way to hear the tracker beeping... with the x8 after 3 km i hear the tracker beeps even if the image is good... (and while beeping the yellow led disappears...)
why?

i have the rc rx on the left side of the plane, the vtx with swp antenna on the nose (on the most high point of the plane..)
please tell us some ideas....
it's really strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
ESC and VTX are both Rf emitters, which means they generally don't affect each other,
and is why I also have them quite close to each other. The only time an ESC will generally
mess with the video is on the power side, through the wires. What you want to avoid is
an Rf emitter (VTX, some cameras, etc) next to an Rf receiver (RC Rx).

ian
brifa is online now Find More Posts by brifa
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:53 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
724 Posts
I separated VTX and RX as much as possible, on wing ends

but not by long antenna cables, they cause loss of signal reception...
RX/TX are right there and ant. cables short as they can be(LRS), or even none(VTX)
and signals are routed to fuselage via thin ribbon cable, so I duck taped it on wing, no drilling required, and no airfoil disturbance,
(IDE HDD cable, shielded in alluminum foil - domestic one )

works superbly!

no more white stripes on video

comparison before/after mod
500m vs 5000m and not a single white line

Storm OSD test, RTH and PA, Skywalker X8 RC plane, long range flying (4 min 5 sec)
Dr.Tom is online now Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Showreel 2014
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
interesting...
but for me is strange that the image is good and the audio signal is poor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
I separated VTX and RX as much as possible, on wing ends

but not by long antenna cables, they cause loss of signal reception...
RX/TX are right there and ant. cables short as they can be(LRS), or even none(VTX)
and signals are routed to fuselage via thin ribbon cable, so I duck taped it on wing, no drilling required, and no airfoil disturbance,
(IDE HDD cable, shielded in alluminum foil - domestic one )

works superbly!

no more white stripes on video

comparison before/after mod
500m vs 5000m and not a single white line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbk3ipTgMqo
brifa is online now Find More Posts by brifa