HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmark View Post
Thank you Ian, I bought this on advice from the hobby shop and they are great with returns.

Would you have any suggestions about an appropriate prop (13x7)?
Hi,

Spinner is fine - you need a longer bar (center piece). You can buy them all individually at a site here: http://www.flyelectric.com/

The prop stopper you need for the pusher is here: http://www.flyelectric.com/prop-stoppers.html

Cheers.
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
LOS Maiden

Finally got my X-8 off the bench and into the air for a LOS maiden this afternoon. She flew well and the whole thing was uneventful until the landing. As I was maintaining a slight bank to straighten out for touchdown, the right wingtip touched the ground causing the whole plane to spin around and flip over. Very minor damage to one wingtip that required about 15 minutes to repair at home. Note to self... mind the wingtips during landing!

I've included some data logged by the CC Phoenix Ice 75 speed controller on board the aircraft, and a brief video documenting the whole event. It appears the plane will cruise at 6-8 amps in its current configuration. However, I suspect that will suffer a bit once the FPV gear is installed and the weight increases. Since my setup is now technically proven, I've included the pertinent details as well...

Radio: Turnigy 9x v2 with er9x firmware
UHF: RangLink
Motor: O.S. 3825 750kv (OMA-3825-750)
Controller: CC Phoenix Ice 75
Power: 4s, 5000mAh
Prop: 12x8 Aeronaut CAM Carbon
AUW: 2.69kg
Base Altitude: ~6000ft. ASL

X-8 Maiden (0 min 0 sec)
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Last edited by wmartin; Nov 04, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Chute servo opens on failsafe

Hopefully any easy question for someone.
I have a servo as a catch for the chute hatch but when the the signal is lost this servo retract and opens the chute...not good if it is a momentary thing and the prop keeps fire back up (a relay prevent the motor pwr when the microswitch on the servo is open).
I have tried over riding this in the APM but no diff.
Do simply turn the servo around and have the default pos closed???
ANSWERED
I sorted it out. Instead of using a 'gear' switch I used a dial. I found the nuetral point , set the horn to closed at that point so now on FS it doesnt change/open. Then I the changed the end points 0%-100% so I cannot over close it. Done!
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Last edited by Imagecatcher; Nov 04, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Answered
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:32 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizBizTas View Post
Hi,

Spinner is fine - you need a longer bar (center piece). You can buy them all individually at a site here: http://www.flyelectric.com/

The prop stopper you need for the pusher is here: http://www.flyelectric.com/prop-stoppers.html

Cheers.
Thanks mate, that's great news! I appreciate your input as well as the others who replied...
Hallmark is offline Find More Posts by Hallmark
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
What prop is appropriate depends on 3S/4S and the Kv of your motor.
13x7 would probably work on my 3S setup with 1110Kv motor.

ian
I have an E-flite Power 32 770Kv, Dualsky 80A ESC and can run 3S or 4S.

I'm really new to this DIY stuff so any advice or information will be much appreciated.

HMk
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:43 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin View Post
Finally got my X-8 off the bench and into the air for a LOS maiden this afternoon. She flew well and the whole thing was uneventful until the landing. As I was maintaining a slight bank to straighten out for touchdown, the right wingtip touched the ground causing the whole plane to spin around and flip over. Very minor damage to one wingtip that required about 15 minutes to repair at home. Note to self... mind the wingtips during landing!

I've included some data logged by the CC Phoenix Ice 75 speed controller on board the aircraft, and a brief video documenting the whole event. It appears the plane will cruise at 6-8 amps in its current configuration. However, I suspect that will suffer a bit once the FPV gear is installed and the weight increases. Since my setup is now technically proven, I've included the pertinent details as well...

http://youtu.be/mmc1DTx02Hk

. thank you, very helpful as i just ordered that motor
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:05 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Aerfly Deluxe

Has anyone seen a downloadable simulator set for the X8 for Aerofly?
The Zagi 'feel' way too light and I don't know how to make a model set.
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Hi All - Join this new group to Get Hobby King Buddy Discounts - www.facebook.com/groups/HobbyKingBuddyCodes

Cheers
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/mmc1DTx02Hk
Very nice and WELL DONE - See my build here - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectBigBird/

Hope to launch SOON!!!!

Cheers
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizBizTas View Post
Very nice and WELL DONE - See my build here - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectBigBird/

Hope to launch SOON!!!!

Cheers
Asked to join the group need admin approval...
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
. thank you, very helpful as i just ordered that motor
Glad to hear it! I'm very happy with the motor - it seems well constructed, very smooth and plenty of power. Another benefit, on paper anyway, is the versatility. It produces good numbers on both 3s and 4s (see data sheet). Overall, the O.S 3825-750 seems like a good value, and a good match for the X-8. Be sure to share your results!
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:48 AM
Russian Federation, Nizhegorodskaya oblast, Nizhny Novgorod
Joined Feb 2012
31 Posts
strong wind, full of gas, in the second minute video - flutter ...
флаттер (2 min 55 sec)
nedz is offline Find More Posts by nedz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedz View Post
strong wind, full of gas, in the second minute video - flutter ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2ObR4lcC4
Hi, do you know what the airspeed was at the onset of flutter? Also what was your weight at the time?

Many thanks...
hans66 is offline Find More Posts by hans66
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:07 AM
Crash or unscheduled landing?
Joined Dec 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
...As I was maintaining a slight bank to straighten out for touchdown, the right wingtip touched the ground causing the whole plane to spin around and flip over...
I had imagined before I watched the video to see a cartwheel caused by a tipped wing, but the plane was hardly off straight and it twisted on landing - something to bear in mind certainly.

Nice flying...BTW
ffinybryn is offline Find More Posts by ffinybryn
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Russian Federation, Nizhegorodskaya oblast, Nizhny Novgorod
Joined Feb 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans66 View Post
Hi, do you know what the airspeed was at the onset of flutter? Also what was your weight at the time?

Many thanks...
Weight Х8 3,4кг. флаттер begins at 100км/ч
nedz is offline Find More Posts by nedz