SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Hi all. I just unboxed my new X8. I dont want to have to read all 382 pages of this thread though. Any quick links to construction tips threads? Accessories? CG would be nice...
I bookmarked this when it was posted. Accessories can range from big batteries to the kitchen sink. You'll have to read to see what you like. CG is at the rear of the side finger holes but this has not shown to be critical within a few mm.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3002
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
On a different note, here's another X8 vid. ian
very nice place to fly !

about winglet... i would simply throw them to garbage and install
zephyr type (smaller) winglet
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60 View Post
I'm impressed......Just don't know if the X-8 could handle the stress without beefing up the wings more.
Wing reinforcement is a popular modification on the X8. I followed a proven method detailed much earlier in this thread by Ian (Daemon), which involves the insertion of carbon fiber ribbons along the length of each wing, top and bottom. I used the same method on my Skywalker 1680mm with good results. Regarding the motor, I selected the OS-3825 based on positive results from others, along with a desire to go with a reasonably priced 4S setup from a reputable manufacturer. That said, I still need to order the batteries and fly the darn thing!
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Last edited by wmartin; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
Like I said, $200 later, I expect the parts to be right. No excuses, or no more business. Thats how its supposed to work, right? Even when it comes to China? They blame EMS, which may be true, but after WEEKS why wouldn't you just throw another $0.0005 cent part into a box and get it to the customer? We are talking about a few square inches of foam here that weighs a few grams...
Quote:
It happens.
Could waste a lot more time and energy complaining about it, or just take the 5 minutes to fix it and move on.

ian
After having dealt extensively with sellers in China for my RC addiction, I have become somewhat philosophical about the whole process. I've been relatively lucky after many dozens of transactions but the record isn't pristine. Although we, in the west, tend to hold businesses to higher standards, those ideals seem to fall by the wayside in favor of saving time and long lasting frustration. Was it really worth it beyond a certain point? There's a break even point between getting what's rightfully yours and maintaining your sanity. That threshold is different for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
about winglet... i would simply throw them to garbage and install
zephyr type (smaller) winglet
If you're going to go with the suggestion of smaller winglets, why not just take the 2 same sided ones you have, line one up with the other and cut the mirror image bevel into one of them. Then take the now slightly longer one and remove enough material to match the new one you just made? This way, you don't have to go out and get more of the same type of foam. The parts are right at hand. You can keep the same design, more or less. They'll be slightly smaller but not terribly so.

Or, you can keep fighting the fight and hope that in a few months, you'll have it completed and in the air (assuming the seller actually comes through). Taking the matter into your own hands, you can have it flying very soon and file this experience away for future dealings with overseas sellers. At least we now know the name of the seller and we can all learn from your misfortune. I never dealt with them before and I won't deal with them for sure now that I know they'll treat us like that when something goes wrong. We black list the bad ones and keep doing business with the others till they goon us. That's part of what these forums are for.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:25 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
Ian,
that's a great video! at that low altitude, did younhave a solid video link the whole time? if so, i'd be interestedin knowing what video tx/rx antennas, diversity you run.
1.3Ghz Sunsky FOX800 Tx with a Cloverleaf antenna
4ch SAW filter modded Racewood Rx with Skew Planar Wheel antenna on a tripod.
Video was solid as long as I had clear LoS and a little scratchy but totally flyable
behind the trees.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Will a s11 3020 1100kv be OK on 4s? Will it be efficient? Any suggestions on efficient prop?

Maidened x8 today, seemed slow in cornering. Cruised around 10a on turnigy but its blew already....rubbish
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
So - What IS the CG of this Bird....?

Hi All,

New x8 owner here in Tasmania, Australia.

I have spend HOURS looking through all the pages, and I see several CG markings.

So are where the factory says, others are more forward through the middle of the front hand holds....

What is the correct CG to aim for? I see some have a good CG, but have flight stability turned on, so the x8 would fly true anyhow.

Looking for a CG that is best for no electronics... Any information appreciated.

If you would like to follow my x8 build, please join my Project Big Bird Face Book Group (LINK).

Thanks in advance...
Project Big Bird...
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Project Big Bird - Build Information

Prop - 14 x 7 (LINK)
Motor - 700kv 655watts (LINK)
Servos - 3kg 26g (LINK)
ESC - 70 amp (LINK)
Battery - 2 x 5800 4 cell (LINK)
Auto Pilot - ArduPilot Mega 2.5 (LINK)
Radio - Dragon Link v2.0 (LINK)
Where I live - Live Web Cam (Hobart Tasmania) - (LINK)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizBizTas View Post
Hi All,
What is the correct CG to aim for? I see some have a good CG, but have flight stability turned on, so the x8 would fly true anyhow.
It's always been the same. Back edge of the front finger holes.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
It's always been the same. Back edge of the front finger holes.

ian
Thanks.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:45 AM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
1.3Ghz Sunsky FOX800 Tx with a Cloverleaf antenna
4ch SAW filter modded Racewood Rx with Skew Planar Wheel antenna on a tripod.
Video was solid as long as I had clear LoS and a little scratchy but totally flyable
behind the trees.

ian
Hi ian,

Very nice video !!
Was you not afraid of a train coming in a front ?
Do you use a long range system on you radio ?

Fabrice
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:55 AM
Auxerre - France
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
I have more and more flight with my X8 and I really stat to be addicted to it !
This bird flys wonderfully !

Still some modification and up grade to do , like changing the aileron and putting some angle donw on the motor mount .
Any advised about the motor mount angle will be welcome !

Also I need your help guys for the FPV set up .
What is the best choise for midlle range about 5 km especially for a good video quality, reception and also a good radio range .

Thanks all

Fabrice
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:13 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toubab View Post
Hi ian,

Very nice video !!
Was you not afraid of a train coming in a front ?
Do you use a long range system on you radio ?

Fabrice
The train hasn't run on that track in over a year, and when it does, it goes about 25mph, and
can hear the horn from 5 miles away. Yes, using Rangelink UHF system.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toubab View Post
Still some modification and up grade to do , like changing the aileron and putting some angle donw on the motor mount .
If you line up the fuse halves properly when you join it, you shouldn't need any down angle
on the motor mount.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:53 AM
Auxerre - France
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Thanks Ian !

I think I need som down angle because the motor I choosed is a bit to big for this bird !
this is what I use : http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/.../at3520-6.html

What UHF system are you using ?
I got crezy choosing my FPV equipment as there are so many diffirent models .

Thanks

Fabrice