HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Jun 2006
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
the quickest and possible the most satisfying result would be for you to make your own one. either from balsa wood or blue foam. at least this way you can manage a few flights while you are fighting it out with the people involved.
If you are not a model builder then
1) have a go, it is fun and easy to do
2) find someone local who can help
So after spending $200 on a foam plane, I am supposed to manufacture parts they didn't get right? I would much rather they took care of a very simple problem, in a time frame that was reasonable. What a concept! Anyone have any contacts over at fpvflying.com?
UncleMatt is offline Find More Posts by UncleMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:52 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
So after spending $200 on a foam plane, I am supposed to manufacture parts they didn't get right? I would much rather they took care of a very simple problem, in a time frame that was reasonable. What a concept! Anyone have any contacts over at fpvflying.com?
I know but this is China what you are talking about...not the same standards
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Hello all

Looking forward to building this one....can anyone running the OS 750 motor please post their prop choice and associated amps/watts pulled please? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I have the OS-3825-750 motor installed in my X8, though I've been distracted and haven't been able to maiden it yet. Use the thread tools to search for OS-3825 and you'll find a few others posting information about their setups.
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Last edited by wmartin; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Removed dead search link.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Clerx View Post

Building dollies and landing gear robs you of the required learning of how to throw a plane. Having the belly scrapped from hundreds of successful landings is a badge of honor.

Ben Clerx
Amen to this Ben, My first skywalker has over 100 hours logged on it and probably over 500 landings on the belly, It still flies great and I love the mangled look!
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cumb
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
I have just looked at my wing tips and they are identical apart from the chamfer on the bottom. I would say that you could cut it the opposite way by only removing a very small piece of foam. If necessary you could glue a thin piece of plywood onto one of the existing ones and you wouldn't notice the difference.

I believe the person who runs Fpvflying is or was on various sites using the name HOOKS.
Snecklifter is offline Find More Posts by Snecklifter
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin View Post
I have the OS-3825-750 motor installed in my X8, though I've been distracted and haven't been able to maiden it yet. Here are some results from a thread search of OS-3825.
Thanks - link not working for me....
RCGroups Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Have you checked your Amps/watts and what prop are you using?
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:25 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Hmm, I misread him as "wings" rather than "wing tips" (or winglets). Having two right winglets
is fixable and should only add about 5 minutes to the build.
Let's call the winglets #1 and #2, where #1 is the one we're going to fix.
1. Using a straight edge, mark a line down exactly the centerline of the airfoil shaped root of
the #1 winglet on the bottom. Run the line a little over the leading and trailing edges so it's
visible at the ends.
2. Take #2 winglet and rest it on its root on the table sticking up, and tape it down as solidly as you can.
Will be sticking up but leaned over at the angle of the root.
3. Turn #1 winglet so it faces the opposite direction (nose to tail) as #2 and rest it against the
the side of #2 that is leaned over toward the table (if it's leaned right of vertical, put it on the
right side), so it's just touching the table on one edge of the root.
4. Adjust fore-aft angle of #1 winglet until the nose and tail of the root are exactly the same
distance from the table.
5. Rest your pen on its side on the table and try to get it to line up with the very tip of
the airfoil shaped root (right where the line down the center ends). If it doesn't line up try
different diameter pens or add a thin spacer flat on the table until tip of the pen meets
the leading and trailing edge of the airfoil at exactly the same point that the line down the
center ends.
6. Now with the pen still on its side and #1 winglet held firmly, run the pen across the side of
the root of the winglet marking a straight line parallel to the table's surface.
So now you should have one line down the center of the airfoil shape, and another along
the side of the winglet at the root, that joines with the ends of the first.
7. With a fresh X-acto blade, very carefully cut off the piece of foam using the lines
as your guide. Probably best to cut from the centerline with the tip pointing out toward
the line on the side and make sure the blade is following both lines as you go and the cut
runs exactly down the center of the airfoil shape. Try to keep it smooth.
8. Take the little wedge shaped piece of foam you cut off, and flip it over 180 degrees across
the centerline of the root, and glue it down with medium or thick CA.

This process will have reversed the angle of the root of the winglet.
If there's any irregularities in the surface, or the angle isn't perfect, just use a
sanding block to sand it flat and match the angle of the other winglet.
Glue on your wood bases and proceed with the rest of the build.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
On a different note, here's another X8 vid.
FPV X8 - Summer Cruise (8 min 33 sec)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snecklifter View Post
I have just looked at my wing tips and they are identical apart from the chamfer on the bottom. I would say that you could cut it the opposite way by only removing a very small piece of foam. If necessary you could glue a thin piece of plywood onto one of the existing ones and you wouldn't notice the difference.

I believe the person who runs Fpvflying is or was on various sites using the name HOOKS.
I already considered that,but thanks.

Like I said, $200 later, I expect the parts to be right. No excuses, or no more business. Thats how its supposed to work, right? Even when it comes to China? They blame EMS, which may be true, but after WEEKS why wouldn't you just throw another $0.0005 cent part into a box and get it to the customer? We are talking about a few square inches of foam here that weighs a few grams...
UncleMatt is offline Find More Posts by UncleMatt
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
It happens.
Could waste a lot more time and energy complaining about it, or just take the 5 minutes to fix it and move on.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Thanks - link not working for me....
RCGroups Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Have you checked your Amps/watts and what prop are you using?
My bad... just use the 'Search This Thread' link at the top of the page to search for 'OS-3825', and you'll get a few results.

I currently have an Aeronaut CAM 13x6.5 folder mounted to the motor. However, this will be my first 4S setup and I have yet to order the batteries , so no data. Just PM the people in your search results... it's a strong motor, and appears to be giving good results based on the reports of others.
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
I'm impressed......Just don't know if the X-8 could handle the stress without beefing up the wings more.
uh60 is offline Find More Posts by uh60
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:56 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Ian,
that's a great video! at that low altitude, did younhave a solid video link the whole time? if so, i'd be interestedin knowing what video tx/rx antennas, diversity you run.

that was super smooth! keep up the great flying!!
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
Hi all. I just unboxed my new X8. I dont want to have to read all 382 pages of this thread though. Any quick links to construction tips threads? Accessories? CG would be nice...
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
I was directed here a short while ago from DIY Drones and I read all (then) 362 pages. Took me a week but it was worth it!
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go