HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Dude, I would be very concerned about equipment freezing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post
I'm exploring the idea of sending my X8 up to around 30K feet with a 1300g weather balloon. If this goes well I might try higher. I have an APM2.5 that will autonomously fly back overhead and circle while coming down.

I need to strengthen the wings and elevons to handle the higher true airspeed anticipated. I was thinking of .73 oz fiberglass cloth on wings, and kevlar on the nose (I already have some, just finish off the upper part and cover the holes)

Can anyone shed light on ideas on getting the X8 up for the challenge? Maybe running an extra carbon fiber spar or two?
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Dude, I would be very concerned about equipment freezing up!
Sounds like a very reasonable concern:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Standard_Atmosphere
Standard ambient temperature at those altitudes is -50F (-45C), which is getting well into milspec temperature range. For sure the Lipos don't want to be charged to 4.2V/cell either.

Depending on balloon lift, lipo-powered thermostatically-controlled heaters and insulation may be the way to go, but that's going to take some quality modelling based on experimental data.

Servos may be fun to winterproof.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:45 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Sounds like a very reasonable concern:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Standard_Atmosphere
Standard ambient temperature at those altitudes is -50F (-45C), which is getting well into milspec temperature range. For sure the Lipos don't want to be charged to 4.2V/cell either.

Depending on balloon lift, lipo-powered thermostatically-controlled heaters and insulation may be the way to go, but that's going to take some quality modelling based on experimental data.

Servos may be fun to winterproof.
No need for Heaters. NASA's Rocket U Ballon Project uses two Thunder Power 3-Cell, 2250mAH, Li-POLYs and they are inserted in foam, period.

Rocket U: Engineers Push New Limits (2 min 4 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
No need for Heaters. NASA's Rocket U Ballon Project uses two Thunder Power 3-Cell, 2250mAH, Li-POLYs and they are inserted in foam, period.
I'll assume these guys didn't just pick a random piece of foam out of the trash and HOPE for the best. The point is that thermal design and management is appropriate to operation at 30,000 ft. Would be nice to get an explanation on why the burn wire failed to terminate the ascent at the planned peak of 80,000 ft?

While my ultra-micros have their 1S120 packs' lifeblood sapped by a -10C prop blast (even in a cozy duct tape pocket filled with cottonballs), self-heating often leaves my 3S2200's uncomfortably hot to the touch in -10C weather.

Depending on the system you might even want to worry about over insulating in that thin air, and needing to dump heat. I know that SSD Macbook Pros are working at 50% density altitudes of the 22,000 ft base camp on Everest but I haven't seen any pics on the 33% density altitude of the 29,000 ft summit.

Rocket U seems really sad to me but let's pray that it's more than just an idling HOPE for a return to bygone glories.

Here's a pretty extreme low temperature battery problem:
http://jproc.ca/rrp/alert_power_system.html
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Last edited by Dirt-Torpedo; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Rocket U seems really sad to me but let's pray that it's more than just an idling HOPE for a return to bygone glories.
Sadly, I believe it is going to get worse! You know that saying?

Prepare for the worse and hope for the Best!

Budget outlays for 2013 does not look nice. The only saving grace "is" we NASA is operating on a continuing resolution CR until January 1st, 2013 and at that time your guess is as good as mine!

Thanks for your reply, I am not a Rocket U member but, I will ask someone in my office to answer some of your posted points.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
My three sons...
Steamboat Springs Co.
Joined Nov 2004
1,088 Posts
Wondering if anyone has loaded up the x8 with a 1.5lb payload? I'm wanting to put a real camera on one...
Beauregard is online now Find More Posts by Beauregard
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:18 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
1.5 lbs for this plane is nothing. People have put 20,000 mah worth of batteries in it. That's nearly 5 lbs right there. You could fly a 6 pack of beer to gramma's house.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:38 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
The manual states that TOW is 3.2Kg. the airframe weighs in at 880g that leaves you 2,320g of payload and avionics. or 5.11lbs... your 1.5lb camera (680g) is nothing for this airframe. it will carry my Nikon D90 (w/18-55mm lens) at 767g(1.7lbs) or my Canon 7D (w/18-55mm lens) at 1043g(2.3lbs) without an issue...

though i have my own camera system developed and being installed in my X8 that is, in my mind the correct system to use. instead of putting a human form factor camera in the air.

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Last edited by TooSLow2Care; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fat-fingered the keyboard a few times :P
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
You could fly a 6 pack of beer to gramma's house.
Does your gramma drink beer
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
My three sons...
Steamboat Springs Co.
Joined Nov 2004
1,088 Posts
Thanks.. Thats great news.. I'm thinking of mounting the Sony cx760..
Beauregard is online now Find More Posts by Beauregard
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
Does your gramma drink beer
Naw, that's for when I go visit. She's too busy smokin weed.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:29 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,458 Posts
Quote:
Haha, she sounds like my grandma !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:31 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
White X8 is now in stock on HobbyKing for a very reasonable price of $167.65 (platinum)...
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:24 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,071 Posts
Quote:

I just realized I know you from s2000 land. Small world.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
White X8 is now in stock on HobbyKing for a very reasonable price of $167.65 (platinum)...
Don't expect any credit for that affiliate link - they don't allow form spam.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member