HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
377 Posts
jcarff,
i'd like to know how well your FDM parts hold up to every day use. I use FDM (like your internal motor plate/stiffener), SLA, & SLS parts regularly for prototyping at work, but their durability & rigidity suffers compared to their production CNC aluminum/acetel & injection moulded production-parts.

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
jcarff,
i'd like to know how well your FDM parts hold up to every day use. I use FDM (like your internal motor plate/stiffener), SLA, & SLS parts regularly for prototyping at work, but their durability & rigidity suffers compared to their production CNC aluminum/acetel & injection moulded production-parts.

cheers,
Brian
the parts i am planning on printing for this x8 I am sure will have no problems as they will only be in compression. We use the printer nearly every day for prototyping robot parts and the strength of the parts has really impressed me. We have a UPrint SE and it prints in .2mm resolution and as long as my part is at least 2 mm thick and i tell it to print solid with no lattice, the strength, while definitely not as strong as injection molding is plenty strong for everything i have used it for. The last non work piece i have printed is a complete cockpit for the skysurfer including apm mount, and gopro pan and tilt system. the entire thing bolts together and just needs 2 micro servos. i get 180 degree rotation on of a 90 degree servo. the printed version is at my office so i can not get a picture of it tonight. this cockpit has been through many flights and 2 pretty bad crashes without needing to replace any parts.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:03 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
377 Posts
That's great Jcarff!!
the parts we have prototyped for work only stand up to a few tests due to the stress they are put under (~1,000 - 2,000Gs in a point of care medical centrifuge)

that's great to know that you are using your FDM parts every day!!

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:16 AM
France (Dijon - Burgundy)
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
Looking for X8 Wing 3 views drawing or CAD files

Hi guys,

In order to illustrate a future uav project based on the X8 Wing, I'm looking for a 3 views drawing or CAD files.

Does anyone have this kind of stuff, or know where I can find it or ask for it?

Thanks

François

Edit: If I can't find drawings, could someone make me 3 pictures of its own wing (above, face and profile)?
Helichem is offline Find More Posts by Helichem
Last edited by Helichem; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:46 AM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helichem View Post
Hi guys,

In order to illustrate a future uav project based on the X8 Wing, I'm looking for a 3 views drawing or CAD files.

Does anyone have this kind of stuff, or know where I can find it or ask for it?

Thanks

François

Edit: If I can't find drawings, could someone make me 3 pictures of its own wing (above, face and profile)?
Salut François ,

Tu vole déja avec ton X8 ?
Je suis d'Auxerre ça serai sympa de faire un vol ensemble un de ses 4 !

Fabrice
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Last edited by toubab; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
here is the printed version of that camera mount I showed a render of before, minus the apm mount. I made the whole thing modular so i can quickly move my apm from one plane to the next. The whole thing screws together and is plenty strong. I plan on printing some sort of gopro pan and tilt for the x8 also. but haven't designed that yet. I also plan on printing a retractable tow hook. If that holds up the the strain of a bungee, which I think it will, then I am not worried about any of my printed parts.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
Petter K.
Switzerland, VS, Savièse
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
here is the printed version of that camera mount I showed a render of before, minus the apm mount. I made the whole thing modular so i can quickly move my apm from one plane to the next. The whole thing screws together and is plenty strong. I plan on printing some sort of gopro pan and tilt for the x8 also. but haven't designed that yet. I also plan on printing a retractable tow hook. If that holds up the the strain of a bungee, which I think it will, then I am not worried about any of my printed parts.
Looking great!
Love the fact to use the Gopro with is housing!
If you’re going ahead with your project for the X8 – Keep me (us) posted, would be very interested!

As the place in the X8 is more than sufficient, a project of retractable camera mount would be a nice ‘brain storming’ ???!!!...

Petter
SwissQuadAddict is online now Find More Posts by SwissQuadAddict
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:01 AM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Hey Guys,

Have been interested in the x8 for a long time and seeing it was my bday i got to order one!

its on route as i type and just wanna ask (im still reading the thread im pg163 at the mo.) ive got a Himax 3533-0700 will this be too slow on 3s?
ive also got NTM 1400kv 35-36A, which i guess could be better? Im just looking to cruse around no loops etc..
But ill be carrying all fpv gear incl rvosd and about 8-10A bats

Cheers
Willie
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Lots to read through so please excuse my question but is a folding prop mandatory? Why not a regular prop?
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2602 View Post
Lots to read through so please excuse my question but is a folding prop mandatory? Why not a regular prop?
Not mandatory but a folding prop provides less drag when the thing is just gliding. It's also less likely to dig into the ground when coming in for a landing. However, if you set the brake OFF, then the prop can freely spin out of the way if it hits the ground. With a plane the size of the X8, it needs a fairly big diameter prop. The smallest would be about 10" to 11". If you go any bigger, there is more chance of breakage when it can't spin out of the way.
Planes like the Funjet and other pusher props like that, use fixed props all the time but they are generally very small diameter. I'm currently converting a DB-5 foamie jet into a pusher prop and I intend on using a fixed prop.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
The motor brake won't prevent a fixed prop from moving out of the way on landing.
In fact, you're much more likely to break the prop if it is turning *at all* when it touches
the ground. I use a 10x7 fixed prop on my Foamaroo, with the brake on hard, and
haven't damaged it on landing yet.

If you leave the motor brake off, you might as well be dragging a parachute around
behind you, any time you shut the motor off.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The motor brake won't prevent a fixed prop from moving out of the way on landing.
In fact, you're much more likely to break the prop if it is turning *at all* when it touches
the ground.
Good to know. I've always run my Funjet with brake off so the prop freewheels. Since it's not a glider, the motor is running almost all the time. So far, no prop breakage on landings unless I drive it into the weeds. I may set the brake on and see how that works. On the other hand, it's nice to have some brake action for slowing down on a Funjet, but don't know how much it actually contributes to that effect.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
With the prop freewheeling it generates almost as much drag as a solid disk of
the same diameter would.
A properly balanced Funjet actually soars pretty well.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:38 AM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Thanks for the answers, very informative. Makes me rethink wanting to use a 3 blade prop! I just had a vision of good the x8 would look with one!
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
3 bladers definitely won't move out of the way on landing, and will break.
They're also a pain to balance.

ian
RCG Plus Member