HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,600 Posts
FWIW I have an Eagle Tree system in my X-8 including the Guardian and it works fine. Just give you elevons enough movement (at least 1/4" up and down) when the Guardian is engaged...this wing takes more control movement than many others I've flown.
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
FWIW I have an Eagle Tree system in my X-8 including the Guardian and it works fine. Just give you elevons enough movement (at least 1/4" up and down) when the Guardian is engaged...this wing takes more control movement than many others I've flown.
Hi! Can you please give me your eagletree settings, I'm also building a X8 with ET setup. I had the ET in my Radian glider which ended up in a crash because of the wrong settings. :-) It would be nice if I could have your radio setup also. I have a Turnigy 9x with frsky module.
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,600 Posts
I'll take some screen shots and send them to you. Contact me via PM with your email address. I don't know anything about FRSKY but I'm using a DX18 now...probably settings are no different. Yes, the ET system setup is a bit complicated, but having a couple of others to compare it to it's (IMHO) light years above any others.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
I'll take some screen shots and send them to you. Contact me via PM with your email address. I don't know anything about FRSKY but I'm using a DX18 now...probably settings are no different. Yes, the ET system setup is a bit complicated, but having a couple of others to compare it to it's (IMHO) light years above any others.

-bob
Thanks Bob, I have send you a mail... :-)
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
Just got notice that the final parts for my X8 are showing up today, so I figure I should start to get to work. I plan on creating a bunch of custom parts for my x8. Currently my plans are:
1) to thermal form a skid plate as i will probably be landing on a road.
2) 3d print custom servo boxes and have the servo arms come up through the top of the wings
3) 3d print inserts that i will strategically place around the main body, allowing me to bolt the entire body together instead of gluing.
4) custom 3d printed GoPro pan and tilt system that will allow me to easily attach a GoPro in its case.
5) custom printed or carbon fiber interior that will have mounts for esc, apm2, transmitters... and a slidable battery mount to precisely set up my cg.
6) 3d print 3dr and video transmitter mounts allowing the antennas to easily screw on and off through the top of the body.

So far I have made a 3d scan of both half of the body of the x8 to use for sizing while i design my printed parts and printed out my first simple piece to make sure all measurements were accurate. The first piece I did was simply a motor mount plate that goes on the inside of the body allowing me to bolt the motor on all the way through the foam.

My question - If you had easy access to thermal forming, custom carbon fiber parts, high precision 3d printer, cnc mill, 3d scanner, etc... what would be your dream upgrade to your X8 be.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
Just got notice that the final parts for my X8 are showing up today, so I figure I should start to get to work. I plan on creating a bunch of custom parts for my x8. Currently my plans are:
1) to thermal form a skid plate as i will probably be landing on a road.
2) 3d print custom servo boxes and have the servo arms come up through the top of the wings
3) 3d print inserts that i will strategically place around the main body, allowing me to bolt the entire body together instead of gluing.
4) custom 3d printed GoPro pan and tilt system that will allow me to easily attach a GoPro in its case.
5) custom printed or carbon fiber interior that will have mounts for esc, apm2, transmitters... and a slidable battery mount to precisely set up my cg.
6) 3d print 3dr and video transmitter mounts allowing the antennas to easily screw on and off through the top of the body.

So far I have made a 3d scan of both half of the body of the x8 to use for sizing while i design my printed parts and printed out my first simple piece to make sure all measurements were accurate. The first piece I did was simply a motor mount plate that goes on the inside of the body allowing me to bolt the motor on all the way through the foam.

My question - If you had easy access to thermal forming, custom carbon fiber parts, high precision 3d printer, cnc mill, 3d scanner, etc... what would be your dream upgrade to your X8 be.
Hi Jcarff,
I have made a number of vac formed parts : belly skid, floor bays, fpv shroud, ant covers, esc cover, etc. look up my 'posted attachments'.
Being a big plane, postage on skid plates etc is costly. Wish we had China postage system sometimes...how do they do it???
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagecatcher View Post
Hi Jcarff,
I have made a number of vac formed parts : belly skid, floor bays, fpv shroud, ant covers, esc cover, etc. look up my 'posted attachments'.
Being a big plane, postage on skid plates etc is costly. Wish we had China postage system sometimes...how do they do it???
Your pictures were actually one of the things I was looking at when I was planning my build, all your parts look amazing. lucky in my business I have access to a lot of fun, high end, equipment and get to use them freely every day. And if there is something i don't feel like doing, like laying down carbon fiber, i can get a few of the interns here to do it for me - even if it isn't work related. What i want to know is: is there some upgrade out there that someone wants, but they do not have the skills, time, or access to the necessary equipment to make it happen. I wish we had China post also.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
A hollow carbon fiber X-8 !
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:30 AM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
A hollow carbon fiber X-8 !
Agree 100 %
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,921 Posts
Except VTX and RX might be a problem.....hmmm
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:37 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,386 Posts
Well, I think an 'affordable' belly skid plate would be a natural seller....key word being affordable.

What is that number? Not sure, but its not $50. What would get me to order one without thinking is a price of $10-$20 max. Not sure if there is a business at that price - maybe a hobby business.

Second 'seller' would be a liner for the inside - equipment bay mounting...so everything had a 'solid' place to attach.

Anyway, just my 2c
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Well, I think an 'affordable' belly skid plate would be a natural seller....key word being affordable.

What is that number? Not sure, but its not $50. What would get me to order one without thinking is a price of $10-$20 max. Not sure if there is a business at that price - maybe a hobby business.

Second 'seller' would be a liner for the inside - equipment bay mounting...so everything had a 'solid' place to attach.

Anyway, just my 2c
Equipment bays/solid anchors...I make a bay liner (not the boat kind) for each bay. These are screwed/glue to the fuse then you have a plastic liner that velcro can be stuck to etc.
Oh and yeah 'hobby businesses' dont have the economies of scale like the big mobs so why would they be cheaper? If I get AN order for a belly skid ($45) it is AN order, a run of ONE. I dont mind but when I have spent the hours making casts, then bucks/molds and test runs on materials, to then make one for the a dollar or two above the cost of the plastic sheet its a bit rough. Ideally Bevrc would offer them but until then we all have to improvise and ....share the knowledge and the dollars we save at Hobby King with each other
Currently Im making a clear hatch (standard), as mine isn't standard due to the chute.
check out the bits I have made 'posted attachments'
Thanks
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
692 Posts
Skywalker X8 high altitude flight and handlaunching (5 min 27 sec)
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
Nice Video... A few questions:

1. How the Airbrakes work for you? Are they really able to reduce the speed?
2. Do you use your airbrakes as rudder as well?
3. Can you post a video approaching for landing and activating the airbrakes so we can see it in use?

Thanks for sharing.
frviana is offline Find More Posts by frviana
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
good video Tom!

i'm happy to see some onboard video of rolls, to show roll rate with that much battery mass.

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care