HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Registered User
seojeff's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
510 Posts
Got my 2nd X8 maidened today. Also tested out my new ramp at the same time. I broke off both winglets when it flipped on landing but I've already fixed that & it's ready to go again.

X8 Launch Ramp Test (3 min 7 sec)
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:29 AM
Registered User
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
very nice and practical ideas here ... Hey Mordega... is it a LONG EZE i see in the background? are you going to fpv it ?

I am totally with your concept. Beautiful planes beauty must be preserved
It is possible, for short distances.

And thanks.
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:39 AM
Registered User
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
The thing about the control rods being on top is that when it's flying, guess which side you see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
As an FPV plane, neither.

ian
Of course guys, but itīs like a motorbike. The external outfit is important, but when you are riding it you donīt see the outline from it neither, but you feel and enjoy it.
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:53 AM
Registered User
Spain, AL, Jimena de la Frontera
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
So you've added a whole bunch of extra drag, when you could have just
poked the servo arm through the wing. The servo box doesn't have to change at all.

ian
Good thinking, havenīt seen that. Will do like this if I have to change it.

For the extra drag, I donīt think itīs so much.
mordega is offline Find More Posts by mordega
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Wefinance01's Avatar
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
Got my 2nd X8 maidened today. Also tested out my new ramp at the same time. I broke off both winglets when it flipped on landing but I've already fixed that & it's ready to go again.

http://youtu.be/-spg1Rp55-I
That's awsome man! Where in Atlanta do you fly? I have the black one, we should do some formation flying. My buddy Greg is also into FPV.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
deTonaTor_NZ's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Maiden launch of CMS Catapult V2
CMS Catapult V2.avi (0 min 13 sec)
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
seojeff's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01 View Post
That's awsome man! Where in Atlanta do you fly? I have the black one, we should do some formation flying. My buddy Greg is also into FPV.
I fly at North Cooper Lake Park near Smyrna. You should consider going down to the Pecan Patch on the 29th. Plenty of FPV fun going to be going on.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Registered User
Wefinance01's Avatar
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
I fly at North Cooper Lake Park near Smyrna. You should consider going down to the Pecan Patch on the 29th. Plenty of FPV fun going to be going on.
Ah, off East West Connector.

I cant this time..i will be in Orlando then Clear Water Beach. Im gonna try to get some vids of the ST. PETE Bridge with my X8. Greg will be there at the Patch, he is one of the guys who started that group.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:27 AM
Auxerre - France
toubab's Avatar
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Maiden launch of CMS Catapult V2
http://youtu.be/YLMcy42Bx1o
Really , really cool !

I steel want one off it !

How much will it cost with shipping in France ?
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Maiden launch of CMS Catapult V2
http://youtu.be/YLMcy42Bx1o
Very cool launcher. To help you on the pricing front take a look at the Bormatec Maja launcher.

If you end up with an idea on how much you want for this I would potentially be interested. I have one I hacked up myself but I can't start the motor until after launch and my design won't support adding a raised support as with yours.

Simon
wabu66 is offline Find More Posts by wabu66
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
Registered User
Imagecatcher's Avatar
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Maiden launch of CMS Catapult V2
http://youtu.be/YLMcy42Bx1o
Excellent work DT
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:09 AM
Registered User
Namibia
Joined Sep 2006
11 Posts
Hi Guys,
I would like to share some info on my X8 and hear what comments you guys have for me.
My X8 is powered by a 3548 900KV motor. Prop is a 12X6.5 folding with a 50mm alu spinner and a Plush 60A ESC all from HK. I am running 6600mah 4s battery
Current draw on the ground is +- 33A with close to 500W input power.
My concern is that the plane feels very sluggish and not very well powered. I am aware that 500W of power is not allot to fly 4 KG especially considering that I fly at 2000 metres above see level but my concern is that I need more power to hold cruse altitude than I would like.
My CG on the plane is set so that if I hold it in the rear of the finger holes it will tip forward slightly. I feel that it is a little nose heavy and therefore sluggish! How far would you guys suggest I move the CG back before it becomes tail heavy and unflyable?
Could the CG be the contributing factor of making it feel sluggish?
Any info is appreciated.
Kind regards
Driesbabe
driesbabe is offline Find More Posts by driesbabe
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Skywalker X8. Scratch setup.

I am new to RC Flying Wing's, but have some experience with sailplanes and gliders.

I am going to purchase an X8. Initially not for FPV, but with the aim of maye adding FPV at a later date. I know the X8 is aimed at the FPV market and I know it is large...but I just like the idea of a large wing.
I have a few questions to help me make the right choices in terms of electronics, motor, prop, ESC, servos, batteries etc and any advisable basic setup . Apologies if the answers are in the hundreds of posts contained within this thread, but I was hoping that you guys might be able to assist:

1. So initially, I am looking for a slight bias towards a bit of airspeed and climb performance in preference to long cruise flight times for FPV. I am not looking for a 'hot rod' if I was, then i would not be going for the X8. If I do get into FPV, I will change the setup for FPV flying in the future.
2. Ideally I want 30+mins flight time.
3. Ideally I want to buy from UK online suppliers (or ideally single supplier)
4. I am happy to pay for quality components; mid to high end as I don't want to save a few quid and end up with faults and problems as a result.
5. I will be hand launching
6. I am planning to use Eagle Tree Guardian 'standalone' 2D/3D stabilisation unit mainly for basic 2D stabilisation ( I have one and I like it...unless there are bad stories associated with it and flying wings....)
7. I have Spektrum DX6i and will buy full range receiver such as AR6210

Basically I'm after a 'kit list'!!
simmons1a is offline Find More Posts by simmons1a
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registered User
R.Grimm's Avatar
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Hi 2Slow2Care!
I was lazy and baught the pre-covered version. But i still had to re-cover some parts with heat gun for better fit. The foam got a little too much heat in some spots so be careful when covering...
R.Grimm is offline Find More Posts by R.Grimm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
Registered User
seojeff's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1a View Post
I am new to RC Flying Wing's, but have some experience with sailplanes and gliders.

I am going to purchase an X8. Initially not for FPV, but with the aim of maye adding FPV at a later date. I know the X8 is aimed at the FPV market and I know it is large...but I just like the idea of a large wing.
I have a few questions to help me make the right choices in terms of electronics, motor, prop, ESC, servos, batteries etc and any advisable basic setup . Apologies if the answers are in the hundreds of posts contained within this thread, but I was hoping that you guys might be able to assist:

1. So initially, I am looking for a slight bias towards a bit of airspeed and climb performance in preference to long cruise flight times for FPV. I am not looking for a 'hot rod' if I was, then i would not be going for the X8. If I do get into FPV, I will change the setup for FPV flying in the future.
2. Ideally I want 30+mins flight time.
3. Ideally I want to buy from UK online suppliers (or ideally single supplier)
4. I am happy to pay for quality components; mid to high end as I don't want to save a few quid and end up with faults and problems as a result.
5. I will be hand launching
6. I am planning to use Eagle Tree Guardian 'standalone' 2D/3D stabilisation unit mainly for basic 2D stabilisation ( I have one and I like it...unless there are bad stories associated with it and flying wings....)
7. I have Spektrum DX6i and will buy full range receiver such as AR6210

Basically I'm after a 'kit list'!!
There are many build lists in this thread. It's worth starting from the beginning and skimming through the entire thing. Don't miss the part about wearing a glove if you're going to hand launch.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product X8---new 2.4GHz Radio System ASSAN Radios 5708 Jun 25, 2014 01:20 PM
For Sale Assan 2.4 ghz X8 6ch receiver Brand New Scooter33 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Oct 12, 2011 09:34 AM
Discussion Any info regarding this x8 setup?Better than coax x8? sjak Multirotor Talk 11 Aug 14, 2011 08:33 AM
Sold New Assan Module X8 2.4 for JR Tx norstaroption Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Nov 21, 2009 05:42 AM
Sold New - 4 (Four) ASSAN X8 R6 6Ch 2.4GHz Receivers - $105 EyeFlyPlanes Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 20, 2008 02:39 AM