Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet72 View Post
your winglets are mounted wrong
Haha really?

I thought they looked funny the other way... Good thing they are temporarily hot glued, I'll change them later on
blackidmagic is offline Find More Posts by blackidmagic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:20 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
your winglets are mounted wrong
Hey..that is true. Didn`t notice it first time I saw it.
But I guess it does not matter much ?
It gave it an agressive look.

BTW: I have glued mine on there without the plywood profiles. What have you guys done ?
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post

BTW: I have glued mine on there without the plywood profiles. What have you guys done ?
I dont think it matters too much, hopefully those wingtip vortices wont get me
I agree, it looks a lot more unique.

I tried to glue them on with the plywood things but found they dont hold too well. Might have to remove them then epoxy it. What glue did you use?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:01 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
396 Posts
I used a special EPO glue, but not too crazy about it. I just love epoxy..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Yeah I think epoxy will work well
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:08 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,912 Posts
Epoxy and EPO are not good bonding partners.

There is plenty of good discussion in this thread. The best is medium CA and kicker to get a chemical welding of the surfaces.

Spray one side with the kicker, let it evaporate so its not wet. Apply med CA to the other side and press together. You will see it (and hear i)t at work. Light and effective.

Epoxy only surface coats the EPO and because the surface is always waxy, it will eventually just peel off.

Ciao J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Tried CA, it holds good but snaps easy. In my experience any.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:05 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,912 Posts
It shouldn't snap if you do it as properly as I mentioned. If you dont spray kicker on one side first, you wont get a proper chemical reaction and it will just surface coat like epoxy.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2007
92 Posts
Just be careful, I just burned y finger quite bad. Did not notice that while applying kicker it got on my index finger while spraying, then got some CA while bonding and burned pretty bad. You just can not stop that reaction. Just be careful or wear nitrile gloves.

Getting my X8 ready will show pic soon.

Felipe
Flying Tivo is offline Find More Posts by Flying Tivo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post

I'd like to see it fly with the winglets pointed inward. On a model, it may not matter much but would still be interesting to see if the owner wants to risk it just for an experiment. Planes with 45 degree wingtips (winglets) tend to act like built in dihedral and makes the plane rollable with rudder alone. When the angle approaches 90 degrees (as in the X8), this should make it act like it's got a much longer wing. When you get to 90 degrees, this characteristic stops. Wonder what happens when you go over 90 degrees? I would think that as the angle increases, wingtip vortices are altered but what angle does what? This is just a model, so probably no need to over analyze this.

I used only hot glue to put my X-8 together. I used the wood on the winglets and the corresponding surface on the wing. Hot glued those on each surface, then hot glued the 2 wood surfaces, then used the screws, then wrapped electrical tape around the seam. On 2 occasions, I have flipped the thing upside down at the end of a landing and those winglets have held and are still extremely rigid and strong. The wings themselves are held on by a nut and bolt at the stock plywood wing root pieces.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2046 View Post
Tell me if I'm polluting this thread with too many videos,,, I don't want to upset anyone but I found this cool pan tilt kit... a bit pricey but still pretty cool!! http://youtu.be/q_6oky_4VfE
I like that but right after investigating your post I found another pan and tilt system that I need to investigate. Have not had time to see how much $$$ but the design is looking good.
Made by microuav.com they have several models all worth looking into, I think.
BTC-40 Retract (0 min 14 sec)
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2046 View Post
Tell me if I'm polluting this thread with too many videos,,, I don't want to upset anyone but I found this cool pan tilt kit... a bit pricey but still pretty cool!!
It's pricey because it is over-engineered. You don't need the fancy ball-shroud at the speeds we fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727220
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
396 Posts
Maiden on my X8 today !

There was a short break between the rain showers and strong winds today so I suddenly decided to maiden my X8. Puh...I was nervous for some reason. Probably because I`ve had it for long and it is the first plane I have put all my goodies in.
But to make a short story even shorter. It flew perfect !
It was windy but that was kind of good as I was alone and it made it easier to cast I think. It flew right of and needed no trim whatsoever.
I had it in the air for about 15 minutes. 5 of them flying normal RC with LOS. And the last 10 FPV checking that RTL, circle and AP worked as it should. And they did
I do not have a DVR recorder, and did not put on the GoPro, but here are a few pics of the plane taken today.
Do you think I need to shield my cables better ?

Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
92 Posts
I just found this retract from HK. Seams to be the perfect fit for the X8, at least for landing.

HobbyKing - HobbyKing Retract system for Gliders (0 min 15 sec)
Flying Tivo is offline Find More Posts by Flying Tivo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackidmagic View Post
Tried CA, it holds good but snaps easy. In my experience any.
I'm guessing you were using "Foam safe" CA. You need to use "Non foam safe" CA. With that, you'll break the foam before you break the glued joint.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Last edited by rsowder; Sep 11, 2012 at 07:33 PM.