HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:17 PM
dave2525
Australia, NSW, Caringbah South
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Check this out... this guy has been busy!!
FPV X8 GPS Antennas, Cockpit, Camera mounts, Power Management, Landing Gear ready! (3 min 0 sec)
dave2046 is online now Find More Posts by dave2046
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
Are you flying with the stock ailerons or have you upgraded to balsa?
Balsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep View Post
nice find but the explanation is a bit different I think.

The reason you are staying in a stalled condition is that left elevon hangin fully down-------> DRAG.
That drag is keeping it in a spin.
We filmed it from the outside and I don't think the elevon configuration of left wing (in a left hand
spin) matters at all. Whether it's draggy or not draggy, it is just not flying. The point of rotation
may even be around a point in the left wing. Centrifugal force from the spin
keeps the wings more or less level (like a maple seed). Centering the stick had no useful effect.
The right wing is the only one with any forward airspeed, so it's the one that matters, and the only
thing you want it to do is pitch the nose down, which it does with the elevon well below center
which requires combination of left roll and down elevator.
The video shows it pitching down almost vertically before the spin stops.
I tried it with lower rates, and it still works, but slowly.

Just to summarize.
If you've entered a left hand spin.
1. Immediately turn off any electronic leveling aids (they will do exactly the wrong thing).
2. Bury the stick in the upper left corner (full left aileron, full down elevator).
3. Wait..
Fairly obvious what differs if in a right hand spin.

There are times when other techniques sometimes work, but this one got me out quicker, and consistently.

Quote:
Ian, you could try something:

make the elevator and aileron rates the same!
Nope. Elevator throws just can't afford to be as high as ailerons. Will increase likelihood of
entering the stall/spin in the first place. I find that with the low rates I normally
use it's hard enough as it is.

On a side note, during my spin testing, I had my plastic prop stopper give up (was
just getting flexy from abuse) and throttled up with a blade over center, and it tried to rip the
motor off, and it did succeed in shaking my GoPro loose from the nose pocket. Fell from about 600 feet
up onto dirt and survived. But losing the GoPro moved my CG back about 15-20mm.
Was flyable, but pretty unpleasant. Would pitch up at slow speeds, and tip stall
very easily. Recovered from one up high, only to go into another on final, and dorked it in
about 15 feet up.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Sep 09, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
84 Posts
Pushrods

Sorry for the random question - Can someone please tell me the length of the standard pushrods from servo horn to control horn - Am just purchasing this plane and ordering all of the extra parts I need (Motors, ESC's, Servo's etc...) Including uprated pushrods at the same time.

Cheers in advance.
cameronblick is offline Find More Posts by cameronblick
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronblick View Post
Sorry for the random question - Can someone please tell me the length of the standard pushrods from servo horn to control horn - Am just purchasing this plane and ordering all of the extra parts I need (Motors, ESC's, Servo's etc...) Including uprated pushrods at the same time.

Cheers in advance.
I can check when I get home from work, but you might have given me the answer to my problem with the FY31AP !
Do you guys mount the servos pointing the same way or do they both point towards the wingtip ??
I have mine the same direction..

And do you let the ail/ele have 100% deflection or do you reduce it some ?
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronblick View Post

Cheers in advance.
108 mm from center pushrod to center servohorn.

EDIT: Update, solved my AP problem with ease. Cameronblick got me thinking about the physical direction of the servos. Turned one around, switched ail/ele position on tx and everything was fine.
The X8 is ready for maiden. But the rain is pouring down..
Last edited by daggad; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
dave2525
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Tell me if I'm polluting this thread with too many videos,,, I don't want to upset anyone but I found this cool pan tilt kit... a bit pricey but still pretty cool!!
DIY 40mm Ball Turret Kit (0 min 43 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2046 View Post
Tell me if I'm polluting this thread with too many videos,,, I don't want to upset anyone but I found this cool pan tilt kit... a bit pricey but still pretty cool!! http://youtu.be/q_6oky_4VfE

Na bring it on--were from how much--i like it

Oh found your link in the video--all good
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
What I'd really love to see is more videos of FPV piloted X8's. For a thread with over 5000 posts,
there's a shockingly small number of FPV piloted videos here. Lots of "LoS maiden vids",
and build vids, and demonstrations of retracts, and air brakes, and camera pods,
and parachutes and so on and so forth. You'd think there'd be more of them actually in the air.
I oft wonder if people are just pounding em into the dirt on their 2nd or 3rd flight, or what.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
What I'd really love to see is more videos of FPV piloted X8's. For a thread with over 5000 posts,
there's a shockingly small number of FPV piloted videos here. Lots of "LoS maiden vids",
and build vids, and demonstrations of retracts, and air brakes, and camera pods,
and parachutes and so on and so forth. You'd think there'd be more of them actually in the air.
I oft wonder if people are just pounding em into the dirt on their 2nd or 3rd flight, or what.

ian
I've posted a few already, I think the problem is they get lost in this huge thread! Perhaps a seperate thread for X8 vids is needed?
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
64 Posts
9 days of waiting and it is finally here Daemon, give me a month and i will start loading this up with fpv videos.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
dave2525
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
I have only recently purchased my X8 and have about another month before I have any fpv vids to post, but I am also a bit surprised there aren't more fpv vids... I guess this platform has so much you can do with it, you can't help but get lost in the "modifications" thought train... I think an X8 video thread sounds cool!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
My electronics have mostly shown up, just a couple stragglers left to arrive. Give me a month too... =D

Forgive the crappy pictures, I wasn't trying to get good ones at the time and everything is put away now.

lastelement21 is offline Find More Posts by lastelement21
Last edited by lastelement21; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Hey! I've been reading over the post from the beginning and have been putting together my X8.

I have taken the "safer" way of launching my X8 with retracts, haven't tested yet but am definitely keen to. I've got a video which I'll link to you guys sometime soon.

Quick question... Questions. How did you go for say 10Ah 4s for time and weight? And what's the default setting for eleven throws?

Thanks

Ps here's me taxiing the X8 for the first time.
Taxiing X8 (1 min 57 sec)
blackidmagic is offline Find More Posts by blackidmagic
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:14 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
415 Posts
Videos are great, keep em coming !
I am ready to maiden my X8 as soon as the weather improves. Will post some pictures of it tonight to show my setup, and maybe get some good advice if you see something that could be improved.
I have chosen not to use the head tracker on my Dominators as I felt they where crappy and I hate the cable from the googles to my TX. But since this wing does not use rudder I used that channel/stick to control the vtx camera left/right.
The GoPro is still not in place, but I thought I would use the same stick on this one. However I am now looking to find a servo with larger movement. 360deg would be perfect, but 180deg would be ok as well. I have seen how to modify servos to unlimited movement, but would like to have a stop point.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackidmagic View Post
Hey! I've been reading over the post from the beginning and have been putting together my X8.

I have taken the "safer" way of launching my X8 with retracts, haven't tested yet but am definitely keen to. I've got a video which I'll link to you guys sometime soon.

Quick question... Questions. How did you go for say 10Ah 4s for time and weight? And what's the default setting for eleven throws?

Thanks

Ps here's me taxiing the X8 for the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNikZ5i66Y
your winglets are mounted wrong
jet72 is offline Find More Posts by jet72