daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
I haven't gotten my x8 in yet, but I am currently planning on my mods and starting to get some things modeled.
I have a question about the tail end of the wing not matching up where it joins the main body like I see in a lot of x8 builds. An example of this can be seen at here. I have either seen people permanently attach their wings and getting this seamless, or leave it as it is and fly. I was wondering what the consensus is on this. Is this part of the design, should I get this to match up? As I am not planning on permanently attaching my wings, I was thinking of designing an alignment collar that would fit over this after I attach my wings to the body to make everything seamless. What are your thoughts?
I flew mine before doing this and then after and I can say that it was certainly better afterwards. I was able to remove all the trim I had added to counter this effect so essentially making it fly more efficiently. I would say it's worth doing.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
I flew mine before doing this and then after and I can say that it was certainly better afterwards. I was able to remove all the trim I had added to counter this effect so essentially making it fly more efficiently. I would say it's worth doing.
That is what i would of expected, I will definitely get this matched up then. Thanks
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Alas, my X8 is no more. Just 2 minutes into a flight I had a hardware failure with the aileron pot on my Futaba 8FG and to cut a long story short, that was that.

The only reason to smile was that as spiralling to its doom, it momentarily hit 91 MPH

The last 10 seconds of my X8... (0 min 10 sec)
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,846 Posts
If you diligently recovered all the pieces, that plane could be repaired.
My X8 went straight in (vertically) at over 70mph, and I'm still flying it today.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you cut the power?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
To be honest, it was just one of those panic moments. At the time I couldn't work out what on earth was going on. Hand I been flying LoS, perhaps I might have put 2-and-2 together and come up with a game plan, who knows. In the end, it was just safer to ditch it.

After the event I realised I'd forgotten to confirm the CoG was correct before launch (schoolboy error) and in my head linked the erratic behaviour to that, or perhaps a battery becoming unVelcro'd because like I say, I really had no idea what was going on - it launched fine and then 2 minutes later it just went mad. I also thought perhaps the FY-30A had screwed up. It just all happened so quickly and was so irrational.

Only last night when I went to set-up my Futaba 8FG on a new plane did I realise that when the aileron stick was centred, the Futaba 8FG thought it was pulled over to the left. This changed would've happened mid-flight! Had this failure occurred when I was flying my gas-turbine helicopter, it would've been an absolute disaster!

Studying it again this evening, it 'appears' to be a noisy pot, but I'm not going to trust it until I'm 100% convinced it's fixed. Watch channel #1 on the video below. Although it's now jumping around, at the time of the crash it was stuck at -35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO9204PNbU
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
[QUOTE=dave2046;22645495]Here Is the prototype gopro stabiliser gimbal that I have built from simple balsa wood. I will be going ahead next week with the construction of the same setup with carbon fibre and ball bearing joints....

This looks promising. Could you please share what components did you use? You didnt mention what is controlling the servos and cannot be seen, because its hiding in your palm. Thanks
fatalisx8 is offline Find More Posts by fatalisx8
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
I haven't gotten my x8 in yet, but I am currently planning on my mods and starting to get some things modeled.
I have a question about the tail end of the wing not matching up where it joins the main body like I see in a lot of x8 builds. An example of this can be seen at here. I have either seen people permanently attach their wings and getting this seamless, or leave it as it is and fly. I was wondering what the consensus is on this. Is this part of the design, should I get this to match up? As I am not planning on permanently attaching my wings, I was thinking of designing an alignment collar that would fit over this after I attach my wings to the body to make everything seamless. What are your thoughts?
IMHO you may just leave this alone. Almost without exception, flying wings require a bit of reflex in the trailing edge. I left mine alone and with the elevons level with the rest of the wing it flies straight and true without changing any trim whatsoever. Perhaps it makes no difference either way with this wing but why mess with it if it doesn't?

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:38 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
If you diligently recovered all the pieces, that plane could be repaired.

ian
Agreed -your airframe is VERY repairable.
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
agreed, easy man.. hot water on a rag...start smoothing it out... and put it back together... you can do it.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
dave2525
Australia, NSW, Caringbah South
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
This looks promising. Could you please share what components did you use? You didnt mention what is controlling the servos and cannot be seen, because its hiding in your palm. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Sure, I had a nimh battery hidden in my hand, off that was a double servo lead connecting to two GS1 servos that have their own built in gyros which allow the sensitivity to be increased/decreased checkout this video, its in Japanese bit you'll get the drift

Special servo for Aerial Videography and Photography  空撮に便利なサーボ (1 min 59 sec)
dave2046 is offline Find More Posts by dave2046
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Stab system

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2046 View Post
Here Is the prototype gopro stabiliser gimbal that I have built from simple balsa wood. I will be going ahead next week with the construction of the same setup with carbon fibre and ball bearing joints.... http://youtu.be/BKcC51baPDA
Looks like it works, I'm nutting out similar device. I reckon servo body's should be offset so that plane of rotation is centred around the servo shift rather than body.....hope this makes sense!
That way forces are all balanced.
Obese1konobe is offline Find More Posts by Obese1konobe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
To be honest, it was just one of those panic moments. At the time I couldn't work out what on earth was going on. Hand I been flying LoS, perhaps I might have put 2-and-2 together and come up with a game plan, who knows. In the end, it was just safer to ditch it.

After the event I realised I'd forgotten to confirm the CoG was correct before launch (schoolboy error) and in my head linked the erratic behaviour to that, or perhaps a battery becoming unVelcro'd because like I say, I really had no idea what was going on - it launched fine and then 2 minutes later it just went mad. I also thought perhaps the FY-30A had screwed up. It just all happened so quickly and was so irrational.

Only last night when I went to set-up my Futaba 8FG on a new plane did I realise that when the aileron stick was centred, the Futaba 8FG thought it was pulled over to the left. This changed would've happened mid-flight! Had this failure occurred when I was flying my gas-turbine helicopter, it would've been an absolute disaster!

Studying it again this evening, it 'appears' to be a noisy pot, but I'm not going to trust it until I'm 100% convinced it's fixed. Watch channel #1 on the video below. Although it's now jumping around, at the time of the crash it was stuck at -35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO9204PNbU
Blast! Where's a flat spin when you want one? Was the video signal breaking up because LOS lost behind trees or were you taken out with interference....jamming even! Good luck with rebuild.
Obese1konobe is offline Find More Posts by Obese1konobe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Castle Donington
Joined Aug 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
IMHO you may just leave this alone. Almost without exception, flying wings require a bit of reflex in the trailing edge. I left mine alone and with the elevons level with the rest of the wing it flies straight and true without changing any trim whatsoever. Perhaps it makes no difference either way with this wing but why mess with it if it doesn't?

-bob
I came to the opposite conclusion as my X8 had so much reflex on the inboard section of the wing that the elevons needed 20 clicks of down trim to achieve straight and level cruise. It was like flying a glider with inverse crow braking. The lift distribution would be opposite to the ideal, too much on the outboard and insufficient on the inboard, this can easily cause tip stall and spin.

Therefore, I warped the inboard wing section using hot water so that the wing matched the fuselage shape and now the elevons need no trim at all and line up with the adjacent wing. The current required to cruise dropped by about 20%. Maybe my X8 was a really bad one.
electricmick is offline Find More Posts by electricmick
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:08 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,846 Posts
20 clicks of downtrim if you tried to line the elevons up with the
higher trailing edge of the fuse, but mine requires no trim at all
with them lined up with the rest of the trailing edge of the wing.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member