HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
X8 Parts

I am ready to buy and want to know everyone's thoughts on this setup for my X8. looked around a little more and finalizing my part list.

Motor - Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv
Prop - Spinner/
12x6.5 carbon fiber prop
esc - HobbyKing Red Brick 60A ESC
battery - ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 30C

i also want the option to eventually add a second 5000mAh to increase my flight time. Is this a good setup, would anyone recommend anything else. I am willing to spend 100 to 200 on the motor/esc/prop/battery. i am looking to get at least a 30 min flight and have enough power to have some fun. please let me know what you think. i am dying to place this order. also can anyone recommend a bec for me.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
I am ready to buy and want to know everyone's thoughts on this setup for my X8. looked around a little more and finalizing my part list.

Motor - Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv
Prop - Spinner/
12x6.5 carbon fiber prop
esc - HobbyKing Red Brick 60A ESC
battery - ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 30C

i also want the option to eventually add a second 5000mAh to increase my flight time. Is this a good setup, would anyone recommend anything else. I am willing to spend 100 to 200 on the motor/esc/prop/battery. i am looking to get at least a 30 min flight and have enough power to have some fun. please let me know what you think. i am dying to place this order. also can anyone recommend a bec for me.
That setup will work fine. You'll easily get more than 30 mins.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,957 Posts
Finally got a chance to fly my X8 this morning and test out the "stallability" and "spinability" of this plane. In the first video, is the first flight of the day. The video was done with a Sony Webbie attached to my ball cap. With the doom and gloom of the X8 stalling out and spinning itself uncontrollably into the dirt, I took the plane up pretty high before I started testing. That's why the plane is just a small blip that focuses in and out, but if you go full screen and keep your eyes on the little speck, you'll see how many times I stalled it. I powered off, then pulled gently up till the plane stopped flying. I also did a sudden pull up to the vertical with power off and even pulled up and rolled to the inverted power off. In one stall, the X8 went into a spin. Had I done nothing, it would have corkscrewed itself into the ground, but once I felt it had enough decent speed, I applied opposite full aileron and the thing just straightened up and I could level out. In one vertical stall, the X8 even did a tail slide for a couple of dozen feet, then flipped over and pointed nose down. The X8 does in fact, stall just like my Funjet and Scimitar. This first flight was with my smaller batteries, which put the CG at -5mm (0mm being the stock recommended location).
I'm afraid both videos are quite boring because nothing happened. The plane did not auger itself into the ground. It recovered easily from each stall and the spin.
X8 Skywalker Wing - hat cam (6 min 39 sec)

The next video is my second flight and since the first flight was so uneventful, I decide to risk my Sony cam mounted on the forehead of the X8 and repeated all my stalls. This time, with my bigger batteries and the Sony, the CG moved to +15mm. Once again, the video is pretty boring because nothing eventful happened. Recovery was very easy and happened within less than 50 feet of lost altitude. Never was any power used to achieve recovery. I only powered up to go back up to try another stall or in the case where the hawks came after the plane, to get away from them.
Stalling X8, onboard Sony Webbie (4 min 3 sec)

So to answer my own questions about the CG and about stalling and spinning:

Does the CG need to be exact (within reason)? ........... NO! We've (Daemon and I) discovered that the CG can be varied as much as +15 and -5 mm. I'm pretty sure it can be varied even more without any problems. It's not doom and gloom to be a bit off, but to be on the safe side, go with what is recommended.

Is a stall with the X8 the end of the flight? NO! (unless it's too low) In fact, if left alone, it recovers quite nicely, then with a little help of elevator, to level out.

Will a spin end up in the dirt? NO! (unless it's too low) Again, leave it alone till it falls to its terminal velocity (that won't take long), then give it opposite control input and it'll straighten out so you can actually make it fly again.

The only warning I can give with regards to the X8 .............. Hawks and falcons really hate this thing for some reason. They tend to attack it and try to take a piece out of it. Luckily, my X8 is powerful enough and fast enough and maneuverable enough to get away from them and can actually "play" with them. I'm sure most X8's out there can do the same.
Finally, if you fly this thing through goggles or a view screen, all bets are off. You may have a real tough time figuring out why something went wrong, what it's doing when it goes wrong or how to right the wrong.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
purchase complete

xviper, glad to hear you were successful in recovering from your stalls, i was planning on running a few stall tests when i get my x8 in, glad to know that they should be easy to recover from. I finally placed my completed order and now am just waiting for my parts.

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv
44mm Alloy folding Prop Spinner with 5mm adapter
Carbon Fiber 12x6.5 Folding Prop Blades
Turnigy Plush 60amp Speed Controller
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 25C
2x Corona DS329MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 3.8kg / 32g / 0.11s

total cost with shipping is $174.69 bringing my x8 expenses to a total of $375.69. cant wait to customize this thing
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
108 Posts
Hi There! Can someone please help me?

I have a E-flight Power 60 motor laying around. Will it work on my X8 wing & with what prop & with how many cell lipo's?

Specs
•Type:Brushless Outrunner
•Size:Replacement for 60-size glow engines
•Bearings or Bushings:Ball Bearings
•Wire Gauge:14
•Recommended Prop Range:14x8 to 16x10
•Voltage:18.5 to 28.8
•RPM/Volt (Kv):400
•Resistance (Ri):.06 ohms
•Idle Current (Io):2.70A @ 10V
•Shaft Diameter:6mm (.24 in)
•Overall Length:62mm (2.40 in)
•Weight:380g (13.0 oz)
•Overall Diameter:50mm (2.00 in)
•Diameter:50mm (2 in)
•Length:62mm (2.4 in)
•Continuous Current:40A
•Maximum Burst Current:60A (15 sec)
•Cells:16-24 Ni-MH/Ni-Cd or 5-7S Li-Po
•Speed Control:80A Brushless
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:04 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarff View Post
xviper, glad to hear you were successful in recovering from your stalls, i was planning on running a few stall tests when i get my x8 in, glad to know that they should be easy to recover from. I finally placed my completed order and now am just waiting for my parts.

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv
44mm Alloy folding Prop Spinner with 5mm adapter
Carbon Fiber 12x6.5 Folding Prop Blades
Turnigy Plush 60amp Speed Controller
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 25C
2x Corona DS329MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 3.8kg / 32g / 0.11s

total cost with shipping is $174.69 bringing my x8 expenses to a total of $375.69. cant wait to customize this thing
FWIW, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...55543&page=339

Report # 5082 (Stall tests)
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henlo View Post

I have a E-flight Power 60 motor laying around. Will it work on my X8 wing & with what prop & with how many cell lipo's?

Specs
•Type:Brushless Outrunner
•Size:Replacement for 60-size glow engines
•Bearings or Bushings:Ball Bearings
•Wire Gauge:14
•Recommended Prop Range:14x8 to 16x10
•Voltage:18.5 to 28.8
•RPM/Volt (Kv):400
•Resistance (Ri):.06 ohms
•Idle Current (Io):2.70A @ 10V
•Shaft Diameter:6mm (.24 in)
•Overall Length:62mm (2.40 in)
•Weight:380g (13.0 oz)
•Overall Diameter:50mm (2.00 in)
•Diameter:50mm (2 in)
•Length:62mm (2.4 in)
•Continuous Current:40A
•Maximum Burst Current:60A (15 sec)
•Cells:16-24 Ni-MH/Ni-Cd or 5-7S Li-Po
•Speed Control:80A Brushless
That's kinda overkill and low kv. Not sure if a 13x6 at that kv would be enough. If you can get a folding prop that size I guess it will work. Says you need a 5, 6, or 7 cell lipo. Again, most folks are running 3s or 4s - no need for higher unless you want to go fast which isn't really what this kit is built for. My advice is to sell that motor in the classified section - for what you get for it you could buy a properly sized motor and a 4s 5000mah lipo from HobbyKing.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:34 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
The general feedback on that type of air-brake is this: they will not function well on a wing. They will cause too much disruption on airflow across the elevons. I ordered a set myself, but have not installed for the same reason.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second since that "general feedback" is suspect in its accuracy. Here's a picture of a Multiplex Cortina, a much sought-after wing that utilizes pop up air brakes (mounted right in front of the elevons) and it flies wonderfully with no issues with the brakes extended (I have one myself and love it). I intend to add pop up brakes myself either on my current X-8 wing or, hopefully, on a new one that I can modify to my heart's content. The only issue I have with the HobbyKing airbrakes is that they're made of cheap plastic.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Check out the new launcher from my buddy Dammes.
Fully custom made, electronically released.

Mine(x8 and launcher) are still in build process, aredifferent but will show here soon of course.

X8 and DL-01 launcher test (4 min 1 sec)
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Ias rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppe_i8uza View Post
right.... for that we should have a Pitot, reading IAS (indicated air speed), that is the only speed to refer about flight conditions..... just a GPS is not enough.... I ordered my Pitot tube for APM2.5..... I'm sorry for "pure" and "good" RC pilots (I'm not), but it's the only way to properly evaluate stall speed, attitude, etc.
100% true. Flying OSD using Gps derived speed is living on the knife edge.
It's IAS that the wing and the laws of physics 'cares about' ...
Obese1konobe is offline Find More Posts by Obese1konobe
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
Nice to know there are a few people here who believe me when I say a stall with an X8 does not spell the end of the world. There will always be those who simply won't believe it unless they see proof and send out the challenge to provide that proof. Then there's the armchair aeronautical engineers who insist that an X8 cannot be safely flown unless the CG is spot on, without any deviation whatsoever. I kinda sat there and scratched my head when I read that 5mm of CG shift is the only way their X8 would fly. On a huge model like this, 5mm is nothing, but of course, to some, 1mm is the difference between flying and crashing.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cumb
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
[QUOTE=henlo;22621862]Hi There! Can someone please help me?

---------------------------------------------------
I am running an E-Flight Power 32 with 2 x 4s 5000Mah with 12 x 7 prop and it goes vertical
ojala1 is offline Find More Posts by ojala1
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:09 AM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
108 Posts
[QUOTE=ojala1;22627826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by henlo View Post

---------------------------------------------------
I am running an E-Flight Power 32 with 2 x 4s 5000Mah with 12 x 7 prop and it goes vertical
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
That's kinda overkill and low kv. Not sure if a 13x6 at that kv would be enough. If you can get a folding prop that size I guess it will work. Says you need a 5, 6, or 7 cell lipo. Again, most folks are running 3s or 4s - no need for higher unless you want to go fast which isn't really what this kit is built for. My advice is to sell that motor in the classified section - for what you get for it you could buy a properly sized motor and a 4s 5000mah lipo from HobbyKing.
Thanks a lot, that help me a lot!!! Don't like HK's Turnigy motors that much. Had bad luck with them & they are noisy!!! :-)

What FPV setup do you have in your X8? What's the flying weight of it?
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I took my time and read the whole thread, quite lot of information. Then I got to the point that I have the wing and other bits and bobs and more on order. Im using a Hacker motor and since Im a total beginner in this scene (but willing to learn ) I did not manage to take out the motor shaft and turn around. There was nothing in the user manual about this process so I went along with some guide from youtube. The guide did not mention that Im supposed to dissolve the thread lock with acetone before trying to remove the screws which hold the shaft in place. Anyway i messed up quite high number of 1.5 mm hex wrenches and the screws a bit as well. So I would not change the shaft anymore unless its absolute neccessary. I gave a call to the shop where the guy suggested to use the small attachment which came with the motor to be installed on the other side of the motor. However this part has thread on it and the diamter is 6 mm. The folder prop spinner I have ordered but havent received is for 5mm shaft. I find this setup a bit awkward and also some more screws are included which could be a cause of a failure in the future? I also find it dodgy to make space for the original motor shaft which would enter the foam of the fusselage. What do you think is this setup can be okay or should I insist on changing the shaft over? Will I be able to mount the prop spinner on the attachment?

The prop spinner is the same as this, only mine is 50mm wide:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/41mm-Alumi...item1e6c7ef68f

Also Im attaching two photoes of the motor not yet fixed in the wing (obviously I will use longer bolts or anti vibe mount to bolt the motor to a second firewall in the end of the fuse as its common with others).

Thanks for your input!
fatalisx8 is offline Find More Posts by fatalisx8
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
Will this modification for X8 be alright? I mean, will it not necessarily create any problems aside from removing the hand-launch capability?

The pink part is the foam to be cut while the blue parts are the walls and cover for the hole created.

I would like to hear your opinions first before implmenting it.

By the way, I'll be using Catapult launch.
shadowsnipes is offline Find More Posts by shadowsnipes
Last edited by shadowsnipes; Sep 03, 2012 at 12:23 PM.