HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
failure is not an option
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obese1konobe View Post
Airspeed over wing is never effected by a headwind from the moment it takes off. You could have a 200kt head wind and your airspeed would still only be whatever your power setting and attitude determines. You could have say 50kts airspeed over the wing so in a 200kt head wind your ground speed would be -150kts! I.e going backwards, same with a tailwind of 200kts you would have ground speed of 250kts but still AIRSPEED of 50Kts
right.... for that we should have a Pitot, reading IAS (indicated air speed), that is the only speed to refer about flight conditions..... just a GPS is not enough.... I ordered my Pitot tube for APM2.5..... I'm sorry for "pure" and "good" RC pilots (I'm not), but it's the only way to properly evaluate stall speed, attitude, etc.
peppe_i8uza is offline Find More Posts by peppe_i8uza
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Haggis View Post
I was looking through the goggles. The plane was 2,5km's away when it started spinning. It was quite an exciting show viewing through the goggles I'm still not 100% sure what caused it. Most people here think it was a failsafe and I think so too. But it's still weird that my hatch struck the prop. Maybe that happened while spinning, or maybe that happened when the plane stalled because of the failsafe.
OK, I understand now. I don't think it's a matter of the X8 not being recoverable from a spin or why it went into a spin. Flying by goggle adds a complication in that you cannot see what the plane is doing. If you can see the plane directly you can respond and react appropriately.
When I do my stalls, it will be by direct sight.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
What to get

I have been flying FPV for a while and I have been reading this forum for a long time and finally broke down and purchased my new Skywalker X8 and i am now looking at finding what would be the best setup for this beauty. I plan on flying this one FPV and already have all the equipment i need to take it a few miles. What i am looking for is what motor/prop/esc/batt/servo will let me get about a 45 min flight time and still be able to go near vertical for short periods. i am looking at spending an extra 150 to 200 on this and trying to figure out what would be best for my money.

after reading through this entire forum there are MANY different setups out there.
Through my own research this is the setup i am currently looking at, what do you think and what would you recommend. Thank you.

All from Hobby King
motor - Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv - $36.32
prop - Folding Prop Spinner 45mm / 5.0mm shaft - $6.75
Carbon Fibre 12x6.5 Folding Prop Blades - $15.08
esc - HobbyKing Red Brick 60A ESC - $13.20
battery - Zippy Flightmax 5000mah 4s1p 30c - $35

i cant wait to get this guy in, i have lots of engineers at my work who would love to start designing gadgets for this guy and I have access to cnc, thermal forming, 3d printing, and people who can do custom carbon fiber parts for me. so i will definitely have an awesome custom X8 in a couple months.
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:38 AM
dave2525
Australia, NSW, Caringbah South
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post on this thread, I was referred to this site by one of it's members who watched a YouTube post of my x8 with retracts, I am relatively new to the fpv world and I have some challenging yet fun concepts for my x8 that I will be sharing along my build "journey"
I have been reading this thread and am currently up to page 198 and have been fascinated with the wealth of knowledge and great ideas coming from you guys!! It has been worth my time

I do have a question about something brought up earlier... air breaks, I want to know how effective (if at all) these air breaks in particular would be on the x8
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Pair_Set_.html

Any info would be awesome!
dave2046 is offline Find More Posts by dave2046
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:52 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2046 View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post on this thread, I was referred to this site by one of it's members who watched a YouTube post of my x8 with retracts, I am relatively new to the fpv world and I have some challenging yet fun concepts for my x8 that I will be sharing along my build "journey"
I have been reading this thread and am currently up to page 198 and have been fascinated with the wealth of knowledge and great ideas coming from you guys!! It has been worth my time

I do have a question about something brought up earlier... air breaks, I want to know how effective (if at all) these air breaks in particular would be on the x8

I have those same airbrakes but I never installed them on my X8 as I didn't feel I really needed them once I got the hang of how to land it. So sorry, can't tell you anything about how they work.
To date, nobody who has installed landing gear has ever posted to tell us (or show us) how they work on this plane. Have you taken off and landed with them yet? What kind of runway surface do you fly off of? The main concern is grinding the prop on the ground when you rotate to take off or getting the prop chewed up from rocks and debris kicked up by the gear. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:01 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
As I get more confident n extending my range from home. Get more concerned about my rc equipement. I am using the Turnigy 9x (with modules for long range) as I can use the trainer port to drive the pan and tilt through the Head tracking in my goggles.

My problem is neither the 2.4g module and Rx nor the 430 module and RX have fail safe as far as I can tell.

I would really like a RTH function on loss of Rx signal operational before I stretch beyond my current range. Do I need to change my TX and Rx or is there a fail safe in there somewhere?.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:47 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,502 Posts
Quote:

That was me ! Welcome. Have you flown the X8 RG yet ?
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:40 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Latest flight from the X8 in Christchurch, New Zealand.

X8 on the Port Hills 01 (7 min 6 sec)
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:16 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:

The general feedback on that type of air-brake is this: they will not function well on a wing. They will cause too much disruption on airflow across the elevons. I ordered a set myself, but have not installed for the same reason.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
My problem is neither the 2.4g module and Rx nor the 430 module and RX have fail safe as far as I can tell.

I would really like a RTH function on loss of Rx signal operational before I stretch beyond my current range. Do I need to change my TX and Rx or is there a fail safe in there somewhere?.
Can't speak to that module specifically, but most flying 'long' range are using UHF and most of those systems have a fail safe mode. RTH is better IMHO.

The X8 has an excellent glide ratio (too good LOL), so a fail-safe will let your plane glide away into the horizon - particularly if you are already at great distance from you to start.

You can continue to use the T9, a UHF will add a Tx that will plug into the trainer port and a receiver for the aircraft.

I think better to get a OSD capable of returning the aircraft to point of take off (RTH), that just relying on fail-safe.

Just my 2c.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:59 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
Thanks Idle, I wanted to set RTH as my fail safe setting. So the setting would be sticks centered, throttle at 40% and Autopilot at RTH. I can do this with my JR equipment as there is a fail safe on all channels but I haven't worked out how to do it, or if it's possible with the Turnigy 9x. I have read all I can on the TGY TX but I haven't come across a solution yet.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a few thoughts about the stall & spin issue. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If the plane suddenly drop its nose:
1. Don't pull back, release all control or even apply a little (not full) down elevator (elevon in this case)
2. Dive a little bit to build airspeed
3. gently pull up to level flight

If you are already in a fully developed spin:
1. shut down all kinds of auto piloting electronics so you have full control of the airplane
2. shut the motor
3. neutral or down elevator (never fly X8, can't tell which work better)
4. roll IN TO THE SPIN, not opposite (eg. rotate to right, stick to right), create adversary yaw to stop rotation
5. apply down elevator to reduce AOA, dive to gain speed
6. pull up gently to level flight, motor on
sr71blackbird is offline Find More Posts by sr71blackbird
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
ROG video

X-8 FPV Wing (3 min 46 sec)

As I mentioned in the YouTube video posting I need to add a bit more power if I intend to take off through grass. Currently I running a Power 60 with 13/7 prop on a 5S 4000mah battery; it definitely can use at least another cell or two to really get it's 7.5+ pounds off the ground.

What I find very interesting about this wing is that the color scheme (if you can call it that) seems to really work well and due to the shape there's little chance of losing it's attitude, especially in a cloudy sky.

Takeoff attitude was with the bottom of the plane parallel with the ground (Ian had suggested this earlier and was correct) but my sprung nose wheel needs to be tightened up a bit or replaced with a hard strut. The mains are also a bit too flexy and this needs to be addressed. As is quite visible, this wing likes to fly and landing in a tight space can be an issue. Looks like its time to turn the inboard wing area into flaps and go to a Crow setup for landing. Next X-8 will most likely be setup with retracts and spoilers in the wing. Can't wait to see how you guys working with this setup work it out!

But, all in all, I'm not unhappy with these first ROG flights.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; Sep 02, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,825 Posts
^ Bravo for being the first to show working landing gear.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
dave2525
Australia, NSW, Caringbah South
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Awesome thanks xviper and idletime for your help, perhaps I will stay clear of these until something more effective is available.
Thanks for the welcome g-forced, this is a great forum! I am a while away from my maiden, I made a rushed video of what stage I am at last night before I had to get to work (couple of "fails" in my video) here it is... I have not had my maiden yet
X8 build update (3 min 32 sec)
dave2046 is offline Find More Posts by dave2046