Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:59 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Haha! I bet you do! Sorry that's intellectual property
That`s not very sporting, we all share information to help others and inform new owners of our trials and results. You choose not to share your information.

Poor show
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:19 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
That`s not very sporting, we all share information to help others and inform new owners of our trials and results. You choose not to share your information.

Poor show
What if he's going to market it?
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,133 Posts
Everyone can make a catapult, its hardly top secret. Would be nice to share the information though.

It`s fine if he doesn`t though, I`m making a catapult a 5kg X8 into the air, and I will gladly share every detail to help other X8 owners to do the same. I find it no problem sharing information, after all, my X8 used previous posts in this thread in its design thanks to others being of the same mentality
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
810 Posts
I have one like this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=69

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Prop stopper on your folding prop?
What was failure mode of the motor mount?

ian
Yes I had a prop stopper.

It ripped half the plywood mount off. I had also added 4 dowels through the mount plate into the foam and 2 of those went as well.

I have many many flights on this airframe and I checked the mount before the launch.

The difference on this flight was the aggressive maneuvers causing large gyroscopic force.
The motor was running at full throttle at the time of the failure and for the10sec just prior to the failure. The separation occurred during a fast pitch rate pull up at close to max speed.

looking at the damage the mount appeared to be well glued. I will just have to do it again stronger.
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:50 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize I'm obliged to sacrifice the hours I've spent drawing and researching by giving it away.... Had I known that I wouldn't have posted anything about it and where would that leave us?

I would like to sell a few to recoup the hours I've spent on it. I find it quite cheeky when someone asks for the drawings when they don't know me and have had no input! Crazy! Go ask Bremor for their catapult drawings and see what response you get, lol.

I have no problem offering advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Everyone can make a catapult, its hardly top secret. Would be nice to share the information though.

It`s fine if he doesn`t though, I`m making a catapult a 5kg X8 into the air, and I will gladly share every detail to help other X8 owners to do the same. I find it no problem sharing information, after all, my X8 used previous posts in this thread in its design thanks to others being of the same mentality
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnipes View Post
In your last picture, is that a retracting wheel near the nose or just a normal wheel?
Just a normal wheel (2 actually) recessed most of the way. Access hatch for wheels inside of fuse. Not that I'll be landing on hard surfaces, just to take some of the friction away from the belly. At the back I have a little CF stinger on a spring for flex,capped with a super grippy silicone tip. Meant to act as a small claw/anchor to drag a little on landing and keep the tail behind.
CrashTestDumbass is offline Find More Posts by CrashTestDumbass
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:10 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,945 Posts
My X-8 is built light and doesn't need any launch assistance at all. If I was to make a heavy endurance version,I wou.d still prefer to keep the launch as simple as possible. Maybe a bungee but no ramp.

I would secure a launch hook and grip ......and launch with the bungee with power off and with the auto pilot set to stabilize or even constant altitude, then power on when the X-8 dropped the bungee. You only need to carry the bungee and a peg then.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Last edited by jayb1rdz; Aug 03, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
"Share my ideas on a thread,what are you crazy?"

Quote:
Sorry I didn't realize I'm obliged to sacrifice the hours I've spent drawing and researching by giving it away.... Had I known that I wouldn't have posted anything about it and where would that leave us?

I would like to sell a few to recoup the hours I've spent on it. I find it quite cheeky when someone asks for the drawings when they don't know me and have had no input! Crazy! Go ask Bremor for their catapult drawings and see what response you get, lol.

No, your not "obliged", but give me a break. Aren't we here to exchange ideas,help each other out, and maybe give a little praise for a good project once in a while? What, you just wanted the pat on the back without having to kick down any info in return? Like no other intelligent person on this thread has spent countless hours on their R/C passion, only to turn around and happily give their knowledge away for free? All I wanted to see was a bottom picture to see how you made your version. This isn't "Area 51", others gladly shared their versions of a catapult. Get that thing patented,marketed,and selling. If it is so great, I'll go to the store look at it and reverse engineer one or buy one and let all my friends look at it for free! I got your "Advice" right here.
CrashTestDumbass is offline Find More Posts by CrashTestDumbass
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDumbass View Post
No, your not "obliged", but give me a break. Aren't we here to exchange ideas,help each other out, and maybe give a little praise for a good project once in a while? What, you just wanted the pat on the back without having to kick down any info in return? Like no other intelligent person on this thread has spent countless hours on their R/C passion, only to turn around and happily give their knowledge away for free? All I wanted to see was a bottom picture to see how you made your version. This isn't "Area 51", others gladly shared their versions of a catapult. Get that thing patented,marketed,and selling. If it is so great, I'll go to the store look at it and reverse engineer one or buy one and let all my friends look at it for free! I got your "Advice" right here.
deleted.... changed my opinion a bit.

But still on a hobby forum/thread like this it doesn't makes too much sense to hold back on this 'simple' information.
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
Last edited by wep; Aug 03, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:08 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:

we got tony stark in the thread!

all those millions on R&D and someone thought you would share it.... LOL
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:27 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
+1 on the user name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDumbass View Post
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdumbass View Post
no, your not "obliged", but give me a break. Aren't we here to exchange ideas,help each other out, and maybe give a little praise for a good project once in a while? What, you just wanted the pat on the back without having to kick down any info in return? Like no other intelligent person on this thread has spent countless hours on their r/c passion, only to turn around and happily give their knowledge away for free? All i wanted to see was a bottom picture to see how you made your version. This isn't "area 51", others gladly shared their versions of a catapult. Get that thing patented,marketed,and selling. If it is so great, i'll go to the store look at it and reverse engineer one or buy one and let all my friends look at it for free! I got your "advice" right here.
+ 2 !!!
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:39 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornant View Post
The difference on this flight was the aggressive maneuvers causing large gyroscopic force.
The motor was running at full throttle at the time of the failure and for the10sec just prior to the failure. The separation occurred during a fast pitch rate pull up at close to max speed.

looking at the damage the mount appeared to be well glued. I will just have to do it again stronger.
There's almost no way that gyroscopic forces from a motor and
prop of this size/weight can directly pull the motor mount apart,
especially with a folding prop. More likely the rotational plane of the blades lagged the
maneuver enough that the prop touched the back of the fuse, threw a blade,
and then severe imbalance ripped it all apart. I've also had folding props
just flat out fail at max rpm, with same end result. All it takes is a nick in the blade
and sometimes not even that.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:30 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Sep 2007
172 Posts
Daemon is right as usual. I had the same mishap last week, the prop bit the fuse and all that was left of the motor was a tiny part of the alu mount and a screw. The firewall was intact due to glass and robust glueing.

About the catapult; I can understand why NZ does not want Hobbyking or any other leeching enterprise mass producing without paying royalties based on his CAD drawings. But it would be great to see some photos for inspiration
Bjeff is offline Find More Posts by Bjeff