HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:50 AM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
[QUOTE=deTonaTor_NZ;22322798]Here's the X8 catapult that I made!

Hi, I want to see a diagram or drawing of the catapult. Thanks
yakav is offline Find More Posts by yakav
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:03 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDumbass View Post
Too bad about your crash Karoliina ... glad to hear you're up and rippin' again. Finally done w/all my mods: Brass,Alum.,CF, FG & epoxy in wings.CF in elevons. Extra firewall and anti-vibe motor mount. Move servo horns up to top and leave clear access covers. Strobe/LEDs and paint.Wheels,locking tabs on canopy,glow-in-the-dark vinyl covering on canopy.Glass and epoxy inside fuse,gel/anti-vibe mount for RVOSD,sail winch servo for FPV pan cam.,GoPro mount in nose.LEDs on a 2200 3s, 2 3300 4s in parallel for flight packs (or 2 5000 4s) Just installed a Scorpion SII 3020 1110kv and C.C. Ice 75 ESC, and have a 38mm spinner w/ Graupner cam blades coming.
Scorpion SII 3020 1110kv in 4S ?? What size prop are you planning on using, 11" ? Anything larger I think think you'll need a larger ESC too.

I'm about to experiment with a Scorpion SII 3014 830kv on 3S!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:04 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Haha! I bet you do! Sorry that's intellectual property

[QUOTE=yakav;22333025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Here's the X8 catapult that I made!

Hi, I want to see a diagram or drawing of the catapult. Thanks
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
Got the strip lights from Hobby King ... only $5 /meter. Have had good luck ordering from those guys so far (knock on wood), from USA as well as INT. warehouses. Also have a self contained red LED strobe( from a mt. bike) for locating, in the event of a crash.(The only way I located my Quad. after a night flight crash on 4th of July). Also have a super bright blue strobe on the nose.Watch, there's going to be a rise in UFO reports out there soon! Gotta go, the "Men In Black" are at the door.
CrashTestDumbass is offline Find More Posts by CrashTestDumbass
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:22 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Scorpion SII 3020 1110kv in 4S ?? What size prop are you planning on using, 11" ? Anything larger I think think you'll need a larger ESC too.

Its an 830kv motor... its a 4s motor. Go with 1150-1200 is you want to run 3s
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:23 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Got the strip lights from Hobby King ... only $5 /meter. Have had good luck ordering from those guys so far (knock on wood), from USA as well as INT. warehouses. Also have a self contained red LED strobe( from a mt. bike) for locating, in the event of a crash.(The only way I located my Quad. after a night flight crash on 4th of July). Also have a super bright blue strobe on the nose.Watch, there's going to be a rise in UFO reports out there soon! Gotta go, the "Men In Black" are at the door.
haha !! Look`n fwd to some flight vids !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post

Ian, I ordered a 10 x 6 and an 11 x 6 cam. prop ... new to this, thought I'd play around a bit. I also have a couple of Thunder Power 5000mAh 3s (from my Summit on steroids). My flying weight is a little over 4kg. Have any suggestions on which combo I should use?
CrashTestDumbass is offline Find More Posts by CrashTestDumbass
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:20 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Ian, I ordered a 10 x 6 and an 11 x 6 cam. prop ... new to this, thought I'd play around a bit. I also have a couple of Thunder Power 5000mAh 3s (from my Summit on steroids). My flying weight is a little over 4kg. Have any suggestions on which combo I should use?
You shouldn't have any problems launching your X8, that's for sure! For 4S I'd say you've picked well; go with the 11x6 first and if that feels plenty powerful enough (and it should!), try your 10x6 and see if you can get some more efficiency out of it. You could also try a 11x5 if you had one.

Ian (Daemon) has great success with that motor on 3S using (I think) a 12x8.5" prop
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
In your last picture, is that a retracting wheel near the nose or just a normal wheel?
shadowsnipes is offline Find More Posts by shadowsnipes
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
beware....I just had the prop and motor fly off in flight.

I had just changed some settings on my ET and was enjoying the results and throwing the X8 around the sky.
As I watched the motor and prop arc across the sky( not with the X8) it did occur to me that this is not an airframe built for aeros.

Aircraft was recovered by a glide approach to the launch point.....almost no damage but motor MIA.

Will add strength to the engine mount and restraint to the pilot for next mission
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:35 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornant View Post

I had just changed some settings on my ET and was enjoying the results and throwing the X8 around the sky.
As I watched the motor and prop arc across the sky( not with the X8) it did occur to me that this is not an airframe built for aeros.

Aircraft was recovered by a glide approach to the launch point.....almost no damage but motor MIA.

Will add strength to the engine mount and restraint to the pilot for next mission
Out of curiosity, how many flights did you have on the airframe? A few or lots....wondering if its the result of defect or fatigue.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,657 Posts
Quote:
Prop stopper on your folding prop?
What was failure mode of the motor mount?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:

Before and after pictures would be great. Did you have a prop stopper to keep it from folding back too far?
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Castle Donington
Joined Aug 2010
152 Posts
Another X8 built and flewn

I have built a black X8 following many helpful posts on this and the FPVUK forum and it has now completed 7 flights. It is a dream to launch, just a gentle shove into wind on full power and it climbs away. The plane is stable and easy to fly but shows good agility and a good turn of speed. It reached 120km/hr on the first flight.

The motor is an old E-Flite BL32 driving a 13x6.5 prop on 4S. Full Eagle Tree set-up which worked well including RTH using the default settings. I will increase the turn proportional gain and limit to tighten the turns. The CofG is still at the rear of the two finger holes but this will be moved back slowly with more experience.

It completed its first FPV flight today, totally flawless. It is certainly much quicker and more agile than the Skywalker and a lot more fun but needs a bit more respect and care.

Thanks to all who, unknowingly, helped on this project.
electricmick is offline Find More Posts by electricmick
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
[QUOTE=deTonaTor_NZ;22333074]Haha! I bet you do! Sorry that's intellectual property
Sorry for my English
  I thought that our enthusiastic modelers share ideas.
  What is the number of your patent?
yakav is offline Find More Posts by yakav