Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
I have both a ZII and X8.

The ZII is fast and stable in in wind, I'd compare flying a ZII to flying my Habu EDF.

The X8 compared to a ZII is like flying a jumbo jet compared to an F16!

No comparison. Although I'm considering putting my ZII supplied motor onto my X8 as the supplied X8 motor provides crap thrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
For one thing Ian is these two planes are not even close in design , so comparing these is not even a good comparison .

With the differant planform layout of the X8 compared to the ZII and the foamaro the X8 is not somthing you would even attemp 80 % of the type of flying we do with the ZII.

The ZII is stubby platform and is made to do what it does, you do these things with the X8 and you will fluterly destroy it.
I doubt it will even clip a branch and stay together.

The yaw wobble on the stubby platform will be more inherant at lower speeds , but if the ZII is built , ballanced and piloted well its very very minimal if any.
A long swept wing like the X8 will be more yaw stable at lower speed than the ZII , we know that.

Seing you comparing these on a regular basis is getting old, compare apples to apples please.

The X8 is a great plane for what it is , and what it is, is not a ZII , the ZII has never claimed to be an X8.

Have fun with your X8!

Here is what the ZII does when piloted well and built and ballanced rite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMG_J...0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mePIF...0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vCTx...6&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuffC...8&feature=plcp
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:09 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Here's the X8 catapult that I made!

CMS Catapult (0 min 24 sec)
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:23 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
So smooth!
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:33 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Thats wicked !!! Love it !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:10 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htran View Post
Ian is this with the BEVRC supplied motor? My X8 with the BEVRC motor and ESC bundle feels so under powered. Max airspeed was only about 30 knots.

Only drawing about 25A with 4S WOT with 12x6 Aeronaut folding props. The supplied ESC is supposed to by 70A but it doesn't look big enough to handle 70A.

My ZII does 60A with 4S WOT with Aeronaut 9x6 and does about 90 knots.
It's with the supplied BevRC motor, yes. I didn't get the BevRC ESC though, so I'm afraid I can't comment on that - I have a Turnigy Plush 60A.

The BevRC supplied motor seems to benchmark very close to a Hacker A30-14L-V2 800kv. If you go to eCalc, select this Hacker motor, then drop the kv from 800 to 773 and change the no-load current to 0.95A @ 12.3, the results eCalc then provides align very closely to what I measured.

This being so, it suggests a 12x6 prop on 4S would provide approx 2400g thrust and a 55mph pitch speed. This is about the same as a 14x9 prop on 3S - but not as efficient. I've been flying the BevRC motor with a 14x10 prop on 3S
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cumb
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
[QUOTE=deTonaTor_NZ;22322798]

Thats brilliant, any chance of a few details of how you have made it.
ojala1 is offline Find More Posts by ojala1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:14 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
As much as I think it's great is it really needed to launch safely ?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:55 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
LOL, it's not meant for launching safely mate. The idea was to make a compact launcher that would fit into a shoulder bag for hiking to remote places for FPV flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
As much as I think it's great is it really needed to launch safely ?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:57 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Sure, it's basically Aluminum L section joined together with parts that I've made on the CNC at work.

[QUOTE=ojala1;22323230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post

Thats brilliant, any chance of a few details of how you have made it.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
LOL, it's not meant for launching safely mate. The idea was to make a compact launcher that would fit into a shoulder bag for hiking to remote places for FPV flying.

But if your flying fpv, why hike and not just fly there ? Lol
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:08 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I mentioned earlier that I used Red Brick ESC on my X8. Cheap and ok otherwise, but the BEC in the Red Brick is crap. It crashed my X8 few weeks ago (I lost all control due to BEC failure and it flew 45 degrees to ground and one wing broke into two pieces).

I fixed the X8 and flew today again, now with separate BEC and separate receiver battery. The Red Brick's BEC-functionality is not to be trusted. Since it was in maintenance I did cut a proper place for GoPro to the place of the FPV camera and mounted the FPV camera to the place where the GoPro was intended to be placed - because the GoPro does not fit into the GoPro slot with the protective cover and also the bottom slot is the first thing that gets hit in landing, poorest place to put a lens sticking out of it. Luckily there is enough foam around the FPV camera upper slot to house GoPro with the protective cover. My X8 is glassed from inside, so I was able to carve almost all the way to the glass without loosing much strength and merrily the GoPro now fits. I will try to get some good quality aerial footage tomorrow with the GoPro in the new slot.

I also installed new prop. The previous prop failed in flight. It had contacted ground earlier with power on (in the early testing) and it apparently was fractured. Anyway, since the new prop is now in better balance than the old one, I was wondering if I have enough power for takeoff because it did not quite sound like I had. Measured the power and it was reading 1057 watts (all of those are needed for effortless launch with 100% success rate without catapult). So it was good to go. Fun to fly the X8 again. And like someone said above, yes, it feels like jumbo jet compared to some my other models. But I like it that way .

The Turnigy 790 KV Aerodrive XP is still functioning well despite I have been using it with quite a lot power and my X8 has flown already many many hours of actual flying time (as one flight is 45 minutes and I flew at least 20 times before the BEC-crash). I think it was specified to be something like 400 watt motor, and I am taking 1000 watts out of it. It is still almost like new. I have lubricated the bearings with oil frequently though.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Last edited by karoliinasalmin; Aug 01, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
25 Posts
What`s the outside diameter of the CF spars ?
Thanks.
R. Mendez is offline Find More Posts by R. Mendez
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mendez View Post
What`s the outside diameter of the CF spars ?
Thanks.
10mm
I replaced mine with 10.06mm CF spars for a very snug fit.
millst is offline Find More Posts by millst
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
X8 : Project"Green Lightning" ... almost ready for maiden flight

Too bad about your crash Karoliina ... glad to hear you're up and rippin' again. Finally done w/all my mods: Brass,Alum.,CF, FG & epoxy in wings.CF in elevons. Extra firewall and anti-vibe motor mount. Move servo horns up to top and leave clear access covers. Strobe/LEDs and paint.Wheels,locking tabs on canopy,glow-in-the-dark vinyl covering on canopy.Glass and epoxy inside fuse,gel/anti-vibe mount for RVOSD,sail winch servo for FPV pan cam.,GoPro mount in nose.LEDs on a 2200 3s, 2 3300 4s in parallel for flight packs (or 2 5000 4s) Just installed a Scorpion SII 3020 1110kv and C.C. Ice 75 ESC, and have a 38mm spinner w/ Graupner cam blades coming. Just have to set up the RVOSD and check everything one more time. I should be able to hit the sky for the 1st time this weekend Needed for launch or not, I do like the Alum. catapult launcher and its portability. Pretty clean looking design. Think I'll have to whip me up one of those babies! I saw the pulley in your 1st pictures ... could you give us a few more details on the underside? Mostly the pulling rubber/cable/hook/track set-up. Thanks!
CrashTestDumbass is offline Find More Posts by CrashTestDumbass
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Crash, looks like its built for a purpose ! i like it ! Where do you get the lights ?