SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Thanks, understood. I'm just trying to get some opinions before I commit to buying a particular setup. I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking for efficiency.
hans66 is offline Find More Posts by hans66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karoliinasalmin View Post
Spun my X8 all the way to the field:
- good news: no damage to the plane
- not so good news: it is possible to spin this plane so that it does not recover

I was doing extreme slow flight testing today. Flew with power on at high angle of attack and kept the plane straight with elevons. All was ok. I was thinking it is not possible to spin the X8 and it is almost stall proof.

Then I repeated the same with zero power. Obviously keeping the plane level with ailerons is the recipe of getting it to spin, and it seems X8 is no exception. At stall angle of attack, I expected it to recover by dropping the nose. Nope. Instead it dropped immediately to fully developed spin. Elevons were completely ineffective, and adding power had no effect, it continued spinning the same direction like a falling tree leaf.

I was afraid that now my X8 got destroyed, expensive battery possibly burning etc. Nope. There was no damage to the plane. Only ESC cables had disconnected from motor's cables. Inspected the plane and plugged cables back together and it flew after a minute of feeling "it was close".

The good news indeed is that the wing loading is such low that the vertical speed when the plane is in spin is quite small. It is possible to spin this plane to the ground (if the ground is not too hard) without damage. Of course I have to note that my center section is glassed from inside and it is much stronger than standard X8.

It might have recovered if there were rudders in the fins but elevons nor the engine power or these combined had no effect at all.
i'v had the exact same issue 3 times with the X8 mini brother : falcon : jump at 1:30
almost no dammage in that video crash ! result is dont play with stall situation with these wing !
FALCON massif (2 min 37 sec)

you wont believe how long the spin was

subscribe... i'v start building my X8 ... thank Ian :will cut that belly...

oh : thanks everybody to share your ideas here... lots of nice video !
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
There no way to pull out of it?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
wow amazing...
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
There no way to pull out of it?
as mention by karoliinasalmin , it happend 3 times to me while i
was playing with the devil (out of loop stall and other stall scenario...)
and ELEVON become useless only one thing i didnt try is
max throttle... but i always like to crash with motor OFF LOL

JUST DONT STALL THESE WING

low weight model will survive... my FALCON is 700g all in (only 40" wingspan)

high weight X8 may suffer a bit more (2x 4s5000 !)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
What's wrong with you people!?

Put the CoG in the right place and it won't stall! I've got mine 5mm forward of where they suggest, impossible to spin and mushes on stall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
i'v had the exact same issue 3 times with the X8 mini brother : falcon : jump at 1:30
almost no dammage in that video crash ! result is dont play with stall situation with these wing !
http://vimeo.com/40317632
you wont believe how long the spin was

subscribe... i'v start building my X8 ... thank Ian :will cut that belly...

oh : thanks everybody to share your ideas here... lots of nice video !
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Put the CoG in the right place and it won't stall! I've got mine 5mm forward of where they suggest, impossible to spin and mushes on stall....
good news i was going to ask about a screen shot with COG and got it... thanks
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
But remember, the more forward the CG is, the more up trim required to hold level flight and that can be a big killer in efficent flight.

My friend flew his X8 the other day on its 5th-ish flight and for some reason lost almost all controll. Luckily the X8 went into a spin! Instead of rolling and smashing into many pieces... There was a crack in the fuse but nothing a little CA couldn't fix and frankly, I was releaved when I saw it enter the spin.

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post

+1
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Not for me, my trims are where they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
But remember, the more forward the CG is, the more up trim required to hold level flight and that can be a big killer in efficent flight.

My friend flew his X8 the other day on its 5th-ish flight and for some reason lost almost all controll. Luckily the X8 went into a spin! Instead of rolling and smashing into many pieces... There was a crack in the fuse but nothing a little CA couldn't fix and frankly, I was releaved when I saw it enter the spin.

Crazy1
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
Exactly right.
It may mush out of a stall with a forward CG, but it mushes around all the rest of the time too
robbing you of efficient flight. I've been fine tuning a variety of wings for efficient soaring for
many years, and the CG makes a huge difference in overall efficiency.
I'm not yet convinced that there's a stall/spin scenario from which there is absolutely
no recovery possible. Maybe it takes a bit more control throw, or different use of the throttle.
I have spun the X8, and recovered, without drama. I also think it's a lot harder to
get into this situation while piloting FPV than many here make it out to be. Save for a couple
crappy launches, I've never had it tip stall by accident, and I fly mine quite aggressively. Loops,
rolls, and often climbing almost vertically until it can't any more, and then just pitch it over to level
and fly away with no issues.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:39 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
I have my controls 10mm throws and duel rates 20-30mm just in case it goes into a spin I can click high rates and get out.

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
145 Posts
Finally got my X8 wing today after waiting more than a month since it was shipped from China. It seems it has been more than 2 weeks in Dutch customs and I had to pay 75 Euros extra to the delivery guy

But I have it and it looks undamaged. Yay!
King Haggis is offline Find More Posts by King Haggis
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,242 Posts
How about a servo setup to move a weight inside the fuse on a switch on your radio. You have the CG correct for the flight and if you get in a spin, flip the switch, move the CG forward, pull out, flip the switch back? Otherwise, how about some type of air brake that pops up? Would that help?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:35 AM
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
Deploy a parachute!
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook