SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriesR View Post
Finally got my X8 in the mailbox this week, an everything was there, no missing or damaged parts!
Now, I am looking for the best way to mount my motor in the wing. I have a hacker A30-10xl v2 motor with aeronaut folding propeller and 47/8mm Yoke.
On RCgroups I found 2 ways to install this particular motor:
• Install the motor like this guy, but I lack to tools to make such a nice mount.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...515_155806.jpg
Any other suggestions with the motor/prop in this position?
• Reverse the propeller and the X –mounting piece, where I can see clearly how I would attach the motor with the delivered oval plywood piece. This guy does the same:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...%20%286%29.jpg
Problem here is that the propeller doesn’t fill as well as on the other side and fear that the balancing will be an issue here.

Any suggestions would be great. I attached the 2 possibilities below
I like the first option. I can laser cut the parts for you if you give me the specifications.
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
Hi All

I'm getting close to tuning APM pids for the X8. Still not perfect but closer than the defaults.

The NAV pids are very close but the pitch pid still needs a bit of work as I have a 0.5Hz pulse that needs ironing out. If you have pitch pids that work, I would leave them where they are until I have this sorted.
The big problem with this plane is its size relative to a lot of the models people are using, it takes quite a long time for servo movements to result in a change in direction. As a result, I've had to dial in quite a lot more nav differential than I am used to using so that it doesn't over correct and snake all over the place. Also the cross track gain is way down.
It needs quite a lot of servo gain, but quite a low nav gain. This causes turns to be fairly tight, but doesn't result in minor course corrections causing major snaking.
Give these pids a try and please update with any improvements / corrections. Once we have a file that works well on multiple planes, then we can submit a proper APM param file for the X8 which should make it plug and play.
millst is offline Find More Posts by millst
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
Hi All

I'm getting close to tuning APM pids for the X8. Still not perfect but closer than the defaults.

The NAV pids are very close but the pitch pid still needs a bit of work as I have a 0.5Hz pulse that needs ironing out. If you have pitch pids that work, I would leave them where they are until I have this sorted.
The big problem with this plane is its size relative to a lot of the models people are using, it takes quite a long time for servo movements to result in a change in direction. As a result, I've had to dial in quite a lot more nav differential than I am used to using so that it doesn't over correct and snake all over the place. Also the cross track gain is way down.
It needs quite a lot of servo gain, but quite a low nav gain. This causes turns to be fairly tight, but doesn't result in minor course corrections causing major snaking.
Give these pids a try and please update with any improvements / corrections. Once we have a file that works well on multiple planes, then we can submit a proper APM param file for the X8 which should make it plug and play.
Hope to contribute soon
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Going to be doing some spin testing/recovery tomorrow, got the cog slightly forward...
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
914 Posts
Hi
I paint my white X8 with dupli lack spray color but it didn't "glue" well to the surface, anyone know how to remove the paint and what is best way to paint the EPO,
Thanks
moti is offline Find More Posts by moti
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:35 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) very carcinogenic so wear gloves.

Use sign writers vinyl not paint....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti View Post
Hi
I paint my white X8 with dupli lack spray color but it didn't "glue" well to the surface, anyone know how to remove the paint and what is best way to paint the EPO,
Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:51 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) very carcinogenic
No it isn't.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_mek.html

Quote:
so wear gloves.
Always good advice when working with solvents, but MEK is actually a pretty mild irritant.
More important to not breath it in for long.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:11 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Servo mounting

What is everyone doing as for mounting the servos?
I'm concerned the bottom mount position is a great recipe for sheering off a control arm/rod/servo on a grass landing.
I don't see much mention of this...have all the grass landers out there not had any problems??
Is everyone installing tunnels that fit over the linkage? Or top mounted servos?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
It's been mentioned many times. Just cut slots through the wing above the servo arms,
and run the arms through the wing, and install your control horns on top as well.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
I've left mine on the bottom. There's a lump of foam that will help protect the servo arms. Never had a problem with damaging horns on my wings....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
sorry, i must have missed it. hard to navigate sometimes on a large thread like this.
(I did try searching btw - just used the wrong terms i suppose)
thanks for your help
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
The Netherlands, OV, Oldenzaal
Joined Jul 2010
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
From your link:

Quote:
A mortality study of 446 people who had worked at MEK dewaxing plants concluded that there was no evidence of a cancer hazard. The average follow-up was 14 years. This study is limited by the small size of the cohort and the relatively short follow-up period. Therefore, it is does not necessarily prove that MEK is not a carcinogen.
D-OCHO is offline Find More Posts by D-OCHO
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
I've left mine on the bottom. There's a lump of foam that will help protect the servo arms. Never had a problem with damaging horns on my wings....
i've just ripped both control horns off my skyfun yesterday due to a fast grass landing. I don't want to risk the same fate happening to my coveted X8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:41 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-OCHO View Post
From your link:
And by that logic one can then conclude that it is "very carcinogenic"? I think not.
Gotta stick to the context in which I responded.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 22, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
It's been mentioned many times. Just cut slots through the wing above the servo arms,
and run the arms through the wing, and install your control horns on top as well.

ian
Ian,
I want to make sure I understand you. You are suggesting to run to control rods from a 180Deg servo arm one to the top and one to the bottom ? (its the as well part that confuses me).

Also,
I sent you a PM but a good open question maybe for all those X8 flying owners out there. The question is:

Given what you know now what would you do differently if you had a fresh airframe regarding
Construction?
Layout of equipment?
Batteries, Power, ESC, Motor, Prop etc?
Anything else?

There is nothing like listening to the voices of experience as I begin my build.

(It arrived yesterday )
Gusisin is offline Find More Posts by Gusisin