HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:19 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toubab View Post
Good morning everyone !

My question is : Is it not too dangerous to trow this plane with hand ?

Thanks

Fabrice
No not really, most throw it by hand
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:24 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Comment deleted: Thought I was reading a different thread
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:37 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardebee View Post
Thanks for sharing that! Do you feel you have room to install after permanently bonding the two fugelage halves together? I'm a bit nervous about doing that.
You had me worried there for a moment since I hadnt tested that obvious aspect. Pheeew! fits no problem. Even if not I could have assembled it in the nose without too much trouble. Eventually I will make a clip in box for various payloads like Thunderbirds #2
...Think I have just found the name for my X8, I bagzed it first! If I wasnt doing the silver Di-noc covering I probably do the colour scheme too
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:51 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Ha! Yeh, it's only now I'm a little older that I wonder how DID Thunderbirds 2 ever fly with those wings!

Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:22 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Ha! Yeh, it's only now I'm a little older that I wonder how DID Thunderbirds 2 ever fly with those wings!

I was just thinking the same. Im also thinking the box tail wing is what the X8 needs. I have been doing some reading on how efficient it is.
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagecatcher View Post
Sure it is doable. This dip of the nose was a last minute thing as I am itching to make a real start. What did you have in mind? PM sketches. I have just fibreglassed the plaster so hopefully I can pop it out on the weekend.
I would say cut back to the first partition and create a collar. The collar would be a circular receiver for the "pods". The pod could have a standard connector of some sort to just plug and play that would handle things like
Power
Video audio, pan and tilt per camera in the nose.
Voltage, ground and signal connections that the user could configure for whatever.

The collar connected to the payload by whatever method, a Velcro collar about 4 cm wide (2cm for body and 2cm for payload) going all the way around seems simple and easy to install.

Also it would mean that your investment is protected, after all most incidents that result in damage are to the nose as aircraft vaery rarely reverse into hills hehe.

I am waiting for my airframe to arrive but as soon as it does I will put some sketches up for discussion.

This way rather than have multiple x8s you could have one that is multi mission.

I am investing a lot in my base airframe with retracts autopilot etc etc so I want to be able to leverage that investment for the most fun
Gusisin is offline Find More Posts by Gusisin
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
No not really, most throw it by hand
Thank you for answering me !

I am a bit afraid about that !
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moti View Post
nice paint, what kind of paint you use

Thanks
Sign writers vinyl, no need for messy paint!
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
No, it didn't land in a bucket of plaster! I am casting the nose (among other bits) so I can make vacuum formed nose covers. Partly for protection, replace a totaled nose, hide fpv slot if not in use and give me a platform to work with. Such would be integrating gopros etc
SO much effort!
Hope you sell some for all that time mate.. Just hurry up and get building!...

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
good afternoon all !

Today I deceided to cast the bottom of my X-8 with silicone !

Then I will put some resina inside to get the shape .
My idea is to make with one layer of light fiber glass a stronger front and bottom for the hard landing !

I dont know yet if it will succed but at less I will try !
I will post more picture of all the stage soon !
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
39 Posts
Prop

All,

I went through the "Beginners Guide to Motor and Prop Selection" - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136470

It and WebOCalc tell me to use large props with almost every motor I try. Most say 18x10 or so.

But I don't see anyone using props that large. I have been reading a lot, but I still don't understand why people are not using larger props and what the difference will be.

Anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
martin_hrcg is offline Find More Posts by martin_hrcg
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
The motor I bought from hobby king ( 1000kv on 4 cell) recommend using a 10x6 prop do that's what I'm starting with, will let you know this weekend how the test flight goes!
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,138 Posts
Most use around a 13" prop with great results, I`m using a 16" to try get longer flight times on lower Kv.

So far the weight is too much for a 16" to launch by hand and keep amps down if full loaded, a larger prop would be a bit naughty on your fingers for hand launching IMO.
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
You had me worried there for a moment since I hadnt tested that obvious aspect. Pheeew! fits no problem. Even if not I could have assembled it in the nose without too much trouble. Eventually I will make a clip in box for various payloads like Thunderbirds #2
...Think I have just found the name for my X8, I bagzed it first! If I wasnt doing the silver Di-noc covering I probably do the colour scheme too
Thanks, I feel more comfortable about gluing the body together now. It looks like you are only correcting for roll with your camera mount. I'm guessing that is probably all that is needed.
Would you mind sharing what you are using to control the autolevel? I was planning to use the APM2 but I thought I read somewhere this capability wasn't available yet.
ardebee is offline Find More Posts by ardebee
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Most use around a 13" prop with great results, I`m using a 16" to try get longer flight times on lower Kv.

So far the weight is too much for a 16" to launch by hand and keep amps down if full loaded, a larger prop would be a bit naughty on your fingers for hand launching IMO.

What is your flying weight?

Are you carrying a lot of gear?
martin_hrcg is offline Find More Posts by martin_hrcg