HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 01:57 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Is it really necessary to argue over CA glue? There have been a couple time when the thread has gone on a wild rampage of pointless stuff like CA vs GG (they both work!) your plane will not fall a part if you use CA OR GG!! come on people..

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 02:10 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,095 Posts
Thank you crazy1 - this vid is one of the best I have seen so far. Would be interested to know what that "brown stuff" is that they were flying over - or perhaps not

X8 Maiden (3 min 24 sec)
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra
Old May 15, 2012, 02:27 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
Is it really necessary to argue over CA glue? There have been a couple time when the thread has gone on a wild rampage of pointless stuff like CA vs GG (they both work!) your plane will not fall a part if you use CA OR GG!! come on people..

Crazy1
No problem, and personally, I don't care what kind of adhesive a person uses. I was only pointing out that a person should not say that something "won't" work.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 15, 2012, 02:28 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Thank you crazy1 - this vid is one of the best I have seen so far. Would be interested to know what that "brown stuff" is that they were flying over - or perhaps not

https://vimeo.com/41306784
I don't know, but it looks pretty.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 15, 2012, 02:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,244 Posts
It's not an argument, it's a discussion, and we are on a discussion forum after all, and the discussion is how best to glue this plane together.

FWIW, I have never used kicker on any build and I have built some pretty fast planes. I currently have one of the fastest fun jets in the world, and I've built countless bees, easy stars, alulas and other Multiplex planes, all EPO. And the last thing I'd use kicker on is my DS planes. In fact I have such a dislike for CA/Kicker combo that my build night mates think it's fun to hit my parts up with a little spray of kicker.

On that topic, i recently saw a pressurised can of zip kicker. I would actually like to try that as it would put an ever so fine mist on which might be acceptable for my particular style of build, and the one Ian seems to like to use. Anyone used that aerosol stuff?

Quote:

Crazy1
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,244 Posts
That's great video. Were they manually flown or stabilised?

That First launch replay at 3 minutes happened to me the other day. It was identical. From now on I will be launching with this plane banked 30 to the right.
Maybe it's my throwing technique or maybe the torque, but it always pitches nose up and rolls left on launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post

https://vimeo.com/41306784
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 02:54 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
What kind of glue do you use for glueing the two wood joiners on between each wing and the fuselage, ca, epoxy or uhu por??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old May 15, 2012, 02:58 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,768 Posts
The aerosol kicker comes out like hairspray. Not like the squeesey trigger window cleaner bottles that do mist. Gap in the market?

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old May 15, 2012, 03:05 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
It's not an argument, it's a discussion, and we are on a discussion forum after all, and the discussion is how best to glue this plane together.

FWIW, I have never used kicker on any build and I have built some pretty fast planes. I currently have one of the fastest fun jets in the world, and I've built countless bees, easy stars, alulas and other Multiplex planes, all EPO. And the last thing I'd use kicker on is my DS planes. In fact I have such a dislike for CA/Kicker combo that my build night mates think it's fun to hit my parts up with a little spray of kicker.

On that topic, i recently saw a pressurised can of zip kicker. I would actually like to try that as it would put an ever so fine mist on which might be acceptable for my particular style of build, and the one Ian seems to like to use. Anyone used that aerosol stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
The aerosol kicker comes out like hairspray. Not like the squeesey trigger window cleaner bottles that do mist. Gap in the market?

CJ
When I use kicker....that is the one I use.I like actual Zip kicker, as it seems to work better (I will qualify this, so no arguments) "for me" than some of the store brands, etc. I can easily "tap" the top for a small amount, or hold it down to cover a large area...anyway... I like it!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 15, 2012, 03:10 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:

Crazy1
Can I throw some UHU POR into this arena?
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old May 15, 2012, 03:40 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
While everyone is at it, I would like to throw some Foam Tac in the mix. For an EPO to EPO joint, this is superior to CA, from my experience. I have heard from others that it is much better than UHU.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 15, 2012, 03:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
I used the glue that was supplied with the kit, works fine and it ain't coming apart.
Use what ever your happy with but you will find that it's a horses for courses thing, what works good on one type of material might be no good for another.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old May 15, 2012, 03:54 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Yes, the fine mist aerosol spray cans labeled Zip Kicker (sold under Zap brand, and some others) are
my favorite. It puts out an even mist which then will evaporate fairly quickly. Great planes has
an aerosol accelerator that I don't like at all (tends to come out unevenly and pool up), and
there's a finger pump spritz bottle variety out there that's even worse than that. A cheap
alternative is a light dusting of baking soda. It doesn't kick as fast as the sprays and you
don't have to worry about overspray into other areas that you're not ready to glue yet.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 04:21 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,109 Posts
A new non-maiden flight X8 video for your entertainment.
FPV - X8 - Messing around (4 min 56 sec)

Wish I'd gotten out earlier. It was really super smooth air.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; May 15, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:56 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Can I throw some UHU POR into this arena?
Yeeess, we are all using UHU POR here. But I'm not going to fight for it - there are a lot of glues around the world and I didn't test them all. Even the CA differs between the brands.

You can check the main difference between UHU Por and CA by touching (or, better say pressing) the joint point. With CA you can feel stiff parts of glue. With UHU Por you can't feel anything - it's like pure foam.

A lot of people left using UHU Por because they don't know the proper way of using it. You can't just put the glue on foam and connect both parts. Well, you can, but it will dry for hours. But if you put the glue on both sides, wait for cca 5-10 minutes (until it feels dry) and then press both parts together, the join is instant (beware, it's faster than with CA!) and very strong.

Personaly I use UHU Por for large and "mission crticial" foam parts (e.g. joining main parts of fuselage, last time both halfes of Skywalker), Epoxy for joinging wood/foam in the visible parts, Purex (PUR foam) for very strong joinging wood/foam in not visible parts (e.g. main wing spar, undercarriage support) and CA for small parts, glueing metal/foam and all repairs...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko