HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
Not sure lol but it would add a lot of strength.

Crazy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
But this was done why???

SteveT
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:44 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I can see the lady of the house is not around...
I kicked her out 6 years ago, the others have only been visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
I was thinking that myself.....My family room is buried in airplanes, but no way my wife would let me do a build job in the living room or family room...she would be beating me over the head with a broom or vacuum sweeper!!!

SteveT
Take me and my mess or walk right on by... not the best of chat up lines
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogz View Post
I kicked her out 6 years ago, the others have only been visiting

Take me and my mess or walk right on by... not the best of chat up lines
Sorry, meant no offense, was just commenting on what my wife would do...If I wasn't married...I would probably do the same thing...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Offense? I was so angry I took the blooming gate as well as the fence. Dude, I'm sorry if my retort wasn't as humerous as it was meant to be... I love a bit of leg pulling and micky taking

Keep um rolling in...

Latest mod is an additional 150mm 'joiner tube', this is 15mm OD, 12mm ID plastic pipe from the hardware store - sole purpose to carry 3 servo wires and probably power for lights etc. Stock carbon tube you struggle to get 2 wire sets thru. Just made hole 'around' the stock servo point. (mind you... I bet it makes it stronger !! )

Paul

p.s. Oh No!! thats another 18g on the build
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,109 Posts
Quote:
I simply built in strength were I thought it needed it for my flying and where I knew it needed it even for 'stock' flying from watching Angelos's X8 flapping its wings and squishing its nose... He is a VERY experianced los flier (unlike me) and was flying fairly gently, testing out the split aileron controller...
Unless you replaced the main joiner with something larger diameter and stronger, I don't think your
mods are going to do much to stop the flapping as the joiner is where most of the flex
comes from. I can see some value in reinforcing the nose as it does take a fair bit of abuse
in poor landings/crashes but not all the rest of the cockpit as you did. My X8 went straight in
at 60-70mph and the only thing broken was the nose. A few less serious crashes since then,
and still only the nose suffers.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Nice to know for the others Ian

The second reason for the false floor is so I can cut out 'bays' for the packs, and other bits of kit. Don't want to rely on velcro to keep all the heavy stuff in place..

Just the reinforced cockpit alone stopped flex around the wing.

But it all remains to be seen once its up in the air. I still think there may be some 'wobble' out on trailing edge outer.

p
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Quote:
Offense? I was so angry I took the blooming gate as well as the fence. Dude, I'm sorry if my retort wasn't as humerous as it was meant to be... I love a bit of leg pulling and micky taking

Keep um rolling in...

Latest mod is an additional 150mm 'joiner tube', this is 15mm OD, 12mm ID plastic pipe from the hardware store - sole purpose to carry 3 servo wires and probably power for lights etc. Stock carbon tube you struggle to get 2 wire sets thru. Just made hole 'around' the stock servo point. (mind you... I bet it makes it stronger !! )

Paul

p.s. Oh No!! thats another 18g on the build
Hotay....just didn't want to get anybody ticked off at me, as stated, I am a newbie here on this forum, and don't want to get off on the wrong foot here....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I know its hidden in this thread but what motor are people using? It will be for general FPV...not huge distance but not mad crazy speeds. Just want something with a bit of punch should i need to get out of trouble. want to keep it within payload limits. What battery as well and are people using a 1 battery setup for camera, etc?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
I know its hidden in this thread but what motor are people using? It will be for general FPV...not huge distance but not mad crazy speeds. Just want something with a bit of punch should i need to get out of trouble. want to keep it within payload limits. What battery as well and are people using a 1 battery setup for camera, etc?
I'm sure I may sound like a jerk and I will answer to a lot worse but why make people post the same answer over and over? I know it is a well kept secret but at the top of the page there is a "Search this Forum" button and putting in arcane words like "motor" and "battery" will reveal all that is hidden in this thread if you do not care to take the time to read the entire thread.

Motor

Battery

Hope this helps,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
387 Posts
I'm not using the motor that came with my X8. If anyone wants to buy it they can PM me.
Opt is online now Find More Posts by Opt
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I expected it to be honest but I did search (I'm web literate ) just so many motors being used and not many are mentioning the fpv gear they are flying with. I know the motor to get for its standard weight. But just keen to know more about which motor for the types of fpv weight

maybe the first post could be done like other plane threads with motor options. Just over 2hours reading and not even quarter way there....back to reading I go
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
I expected it to be honest but I did search (I'm web literate ) just so many motors being used and not many are mentioning the fpv gear they are flying with. I know the motor to get for its standard weight. But just keen to know more about which motor for the types of fpv weight

maybe the first post could be done like other plane threads with motor options. Just over 2hours reading and not even quarter way there....back to reading I go
Well I guess I'm guilty. Must be missing my meds,...

Rob

camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Lol.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
after more reading....is this motor enough running on 4s

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18165

Or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18163
Last edited by rsands2801; Apr 18, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:43 PM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
I have the second motor listed there
And wear ear muffs, They make a horrible grinding noise. Bearings are junk. I ordered a scorpion insted for my X8 and is so smooth now
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12