SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
936 Posts
Angelos, what prop size are you running on that?
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Here is the maiden of the X8. It's not me swearing at the end (thanks Yogz for sound effects) and the plane landed safely 50 or so meters further down.

The motor is an A3732 KV480 running from 6S with 80A ESC. (The data on the video are a bit wrong.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7KWibSWoo

The rudder worked but not as effective as I was hopping. As I like my planes agile I would be happier if it had twice as much authority and I may try increasing the size of the elevons. Still it may be enough to achieve it's ultimate purpose and I will re-evaluate it whist FPV.

I can't conclude how defective the crow airbrake was but I noticed the aileron and elevator controls lost some authority when the airbrake was on, possibly around 30%.

-Angelos
Nicely done Angelos.... can't wait to hear your opinions on your first fpv flight but it looks like you got this plane pretty well sorted already...
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
I've always thought this was an interesting motor for a 6S set-up. Pretty lightweight for its power and Kv rating

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14740
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Would a three blade folding prop benefit much?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=21878

smaller diameter prop; more 'grip' maybe
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,918 Posts
Folding props are already hard enough to balance, without trying to deal with a 3 blader.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:45 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
Joined Aug 2011
2,618 Posts
Where would the the bladder 'go' on landing? Wouldn't it always drag (and get damaged) ?
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,918 Posts
Huh? That's the point of a folding prop.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
Joined Aug 2011
2,618 Posts
Sorry, missed the folding bit, doh! Never seen a three blade folding prop...
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888 View Post
Angelos, what prop size are you running on that?

14*10 aeronaut camcarbon folder. It is VERY quiet, more so than it appears on the video (and it's not that loud on there!)

HOWEVER that was a los maiden, no FPV gear on board, so we cannot as yet verify that it is loading the motor correctly. Angelos is at this moment installing the rest of the kit so he will report back asap (maybe tomorrow)

Paul (Yogz) @ Spartan hq on Angelos' PC
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Last edited by Angelos; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Feb 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
Sorry, missed the folding bit, doh! Never seen a three blade folding prop...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21878
jet72 is offline Find More Posts by jet72
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Or these if you want top quality http://www.aero-naut.de/en/products/...cessories.html
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
Even though they cost a lot more, I'll take those over HK any day. I can't wait to start an X8.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geives1 View Post
what about using something like this for take off? Looks easy enough to build and seems to work great for powered sailplanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx5AToRmcV8
I've been messing with a cart for launching a plane with a pusher prop. The problem is that the plane accelerates once it has lift and the cart slows down. This can result in some undesirable cart to prop interaction.
ASB32 is offline Find More Posts by ASB32
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Aug 2010
76 Posts
So, I made a separate thread in the flying wing section, but I decided I should ask these here:

Most layouts I see have the (3s or 4s) batteries mounted in front, with long cables to the esc/motor. This seems to be a problem because:
A. I'm guessing making a foot and a half cable run to carry 60+ amps DC from the battery to the motor is going to lose a lot of energy to the voltage drop. I don't know how much.
B. The cables (carrying large DC amperages) would have to run very close past ArduPilot magnetometer (compass), which is definitely going to cause problems.

I don't see a way around mounting the batteries in the front, because I have nothing else heavy to put in the front to balance the plane that won't be deadweight.
One possible solution is to use higher voltages. So, using a 6s or 8s system, for efficiency rather than speed and power. However, I don't understand the prop/motor/speed/thrust/voltage/power relationship very well, so I was wondering how this can be done, specifically?

My other question is regarding landing gear. I fly off a runway primarily, and there's no foam-friendly grass nearby (mostly fields of star thistle.) So, how doable are retracts?
It's also important to me that the plane is relatively resistant to flipping or tipping over in wind while rolling, so I think the possible layouts of retracts are important to that concern...
jschall is offline Find More Posts by jschall
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:17 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,918 Posts
You're overthinking it. The voltage drop for a 1 foot long 12V DC run at 65Amps over
10-12Gauge copper wire is 1.1-1.8%, or at most 0.2V. Straight DC wires shouldn't
be generating a magnetic field.

ian
RCG Plus Member