HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
532 Posts
Montague 2012

Kathy and I arrived Monday night with our new (old) Weeds XC backup plane. This would be our teams first time with a second backup XC racer and this turned out to be fortunate.... unfortunately...

I had spent the previous day frantically performing radical surgery on this plane after discovering she was 170 grams over the 5 Kg limit. I chopped 5 inches off each wing tip and 3 inches off the fin then got out my knives, chisels, dremels and hacked away at the 5/8 plywood in the center section of the fuse and in the end had a not so beautiful but under 5 Kg XC racer.

We had arrived a couple days early to try for my 100K pin and tuesday morning sorted out the plane with a couple test flights. We got off the field and managed 28 miles before the wind knocked us out. Little did I know that I had wrecked a flap servo on the land out and on Wednesday by the time I figured out a few programming issues with my new 10G radio and discovered the flap problem it was too late to try for the 100K flight given the wind had picked up early.

Thursday, contest day 1.

Bill had arrived with Super Supra the night before and we got her set up, launched and really struggled to get off the field. I think 4 teams got away while we were still searching for our getaway thermal. Finally we managed some height and figured lets just go. It really sucks psychologically being last to leave but we did ok towards 2 but then hit sink and ended up searching over Tanks (2) at about 200 ft when I found a small tight thermal that turned into a boomer. From 2 to 9 we had no sink which I don't think has ever happened for us before. At 9 (school) we ran into a monster and specked out. From 9 to past Montague we cruised at high altitude and a slight tail wind for 8 miles did not need to thermal. Approaching TP 6 at Grenada we saw several teams struggling at low altitude, we were still fairly high and luckily found a good thermal over the town, made the 0.2 radius cylinder and turned to head north and nearly came to a stop in the headwind. I figured at this point we would go for the miles and it would become a distance contest so in reflex we battled the wind northward towards TP 5. Super Supra performs well in reflex and to my surprise we made it the 6 miles back to TP 5 upwind and hit the quarry at about 200-300 ft. I figured we had the best mileage at this point. Wrong! Way up above I spotted John Ellias (Screaming Eagles) and realized he was going to make it back to the field and bury the rest of us score wise. Luckily we found John's thermal and were soon high enough to make it back. 34 miles in 2 hrs 1 min to take first for the day by 9 minutes over John. A very good day.

Day 2

Not a very good day. The task was north to the school, then the loop from Tanks into Death Valley, Church (3), sawmill, back to 5 at the quarry then home. The wind came up early and there was a definate window to get away which we missed getting out on course at around 1:30, a good 45 minutes after everyone else. By the time we hit TP 2 and turned north the wind was brutal. Even though we found two good thermals to 3500+ ft it was not enough into the 20mph headwind. We burned up 3000 ft in just 2.5 miles and managed to reach TP 9 but too low to turn back so we slope soared a small rocky point to the west and prayed for a big thermal to blow thru. After 5 or 6 small thermals that broke up on the lee side off the ridge we landed out. Flying only 9 miles of the 28 mile course killed our score.

Day 3.

Short course today, 1-2-3-4-5-2-1, around 18 miles. Wind was lighter and we were first off the field. A very good flight until just past TP4. We flew the usual lift generators over the black rock hills but nothing was happening so we headed out towards TP 5 and halfway there found ourselves low and in trouble over a freshly mowed alfalfa field. We worked the lift there with a bunch of seagulls and a couple buzzards for a good 15-20 minutes when Dudley's Dust Devils team came in real low with the same trouble. I decided to leave at about 1200 ft and we made TP 5 and hooked up to a real nice thermal over the quarry. Jim Rolle's team caught up to us here and it was a race to the finish which was pretty exciting. Then Jim broke into our vario frequency on the final Dash and we all heard "You are going down" as thier MXC overtook our Super Supra. Bill was piloting and with reflex and some down trim we caught back up and it was neck and neck the 2.3 miles from TP 2 to the finish. Bill narrowly avoided the power lines at the finish, turned south to land and BANG, right into the barbed wire fence!! Crap.... SS was down and out. She's a very strong bird and the damage was less than feared but too much to repair on site. Looks like my beat up backup ship would see some action afterall.

Day 4.

Another short course today, 16 miles, Start - TP 2 - TP 9 - TP2 and back to the finish. I think we were second or third off the field and lift was booming. At one point there were 4 of us in the same thermal. We raced head to head with Paul Gradwell's team to the finish (I love those final races when there is a head to head matchup). We edged Paul out on the final dash but his time was better.

Overall Team Windward finished 4rth for the contest. Day 2 killed us but I was very happy to complete the entire course 3 out of the 4 contest days. The teams have become so good that its no longer enough to finish the courses, you have to actually strategize for speed on the shorter courses. For us we still just fly for survival on the longer courses. Also, this was our first contest using a Garmin Nuvi for our driver. What a difference it makes! Making the TP cylinders is now fairly easy to figure out, just fly in front over the road and turn when the driver says "point 2".

all in all another great Montague adventure.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Jun 20, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Hangar/shop
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Hangar/shop
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
Watching with interest from down south and wishing y'all a good contest.
Holm- und Rippenbruch, and remember "Ohne Aufwind geht's immer bergab!"

: )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
264 Posts
Day one and two results

Below are the official results for day one and day two. Still two more days of racing! The last photo is our tireless CD Ron McElliot hard at work.

Today the conditions were good if you got off the field early. The course was 29 miles. Our team (Myself, Rick Shelby, Marquita Ellias) got on course by 12:00 noon and had good lift with not too much wind to contend with. The teams that left 30 minutes later had to battle big headwinds for much of the flight. We never got lower than about 1500 feet. We arrived at turnpoint 5 and saw team Broken arrow(Jim Rolle, Bruce Moore and Scott Meader) thermaling there. We both thermaled up to about 3,000 feet then headed out on the final glide knowing we had enough altitude to make the finish line 7 miles away. We flew neck and neck with team Broken Arrow the entire way home averaging 50 mph for the entire 7 miles and for the last 2 miles we averaged 67 mph!

Hi Dieter, we all miss Marcela (and you too!)
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
This may prove that Fajitas, Margaritas, and iMovie are a lethal combination.

Montague Cross Country 2012 (0 min 53 sec)
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
317 Posts
XCTracker - GPS Telemetry for Cross Country Soaring

Attached are the slides for today's discussion of XCTracker
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski View Post
Thanks Tom, that's funny!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Jan 2005
264 Posts
Day 3 results

See below for Day 3 results
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
138 Posts
Montague 2012

A few pics
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
138 Posts
Montague 2012

Highlight of the flying season is Montague X/C. The flying, BBQ, comraderie, and welcome by Dean, Ron, Roger, and Paul are second to none.
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeRC View Post
Highlight of the flying season is Montague X/C. The flying, BBQ, comraderie, and welcome by Dean, Ron, Roger, and Paul are second to none.
More like row rit! What happened?

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
From way down south, it looks like a landing mishap with SS, and a high-speed cartwheel with DD.
Who's writing the report for the XCsoaring website, and who'll be sending photos?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Dieter,
Jim and Kathy were taking the most photos.
And as of 2012 first place overall is obligated to send you a contest report.
Regards Dean