8 teams so far.
Need to know soon.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old May 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
283 Posts
GPS Scoring

GPS will be used to score the Montague contest this year. All gliders will be required to have at least one GPS Logger. If you do not have a logger contact me and we should be able to provide one.

See the word file below for the scoring rules.
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old May 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
269 Posts
Shipping Assistance Needed for XC planes

Hi all,

As many of you are aware, Dave and I will be traveling from NH to CA for this year's Montague XC races. This year we are flying out to the SF area and then renting a convertible to use as our chase vehicle. Renting a pickup truck with seats and seat belts in the bed has been fruitless. Our plan has been to ship our XC planes to CA care of Dean.

However, we realized we have a problem transporting the shipping crates from Dean's address in OR to Montague, CA for the week. The convertible just will not do the job.

We also need some help on the other end of the races to ship the planes back to us in NH. Shipping back the planes entails transporting the crates from Montague to a FedEx location and handing off the crates for shipment. Our return flights to NH require us to leave Sunday night, or O-dark-30 on Monday morning to make the 5hr drive back down to the SF airport and turn in the rental car and get through security etc. to board the planes home.

We would appreciate anyone who can assist us with the logistics of transporting our planes to and from Montague.

Thanks in advance,
John (and Dave)
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old May 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
John,
Ship to our Oregon location. I can easily deliver to Montague and take care of shipping them back to you.

Regards Dean
Old May 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
269 Posts
Thanks Dean!
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old May 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
Wednesday evening a catered meal is available for $15. Lasagna, meatless lasagna, garlic bread, salad, desert, and vino. If you have special needs let me know. I also need a head count.

The EAA will be serving breakfast at the field Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings. Very reasonable. Let's support them.

Checked out the Willow Creek Mountain run and since I had been there last many "No Trespassing" signs have been posted so I think it's best to do something different. My first thought is GPS triangle racing. I will have extra gear to loan.

Church run either Monday or Tuesday.

Regards Dean
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:41 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
165 Posts
Early forecast from the Weather Channel

Hi,
I've attached a JPG of the forecast of the weather during the Cup.

Also...
our team is in need of a co-pilot for Thursday - the rest of our crew is coming in on Thurday evening for the rest of the meet. Please let myself or Matt Brady know if you are available. Matt is driving in on Sunday; I'll be there Wednesday.

Thanks. See you soon...

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Jan 2005
283 Posts
Rick Shelby Earns his 50 K pin!

Only a couple of teams at the field today as it was just a practice day. The weather was ideal with very light wind until well after 3pm. Rick Shelby and I decided to see if we could get Rick's 50k pin. Rick launched my MXC a little before 2 pm and the lift was good right off launch. We decided to head North to the most northern turnpoint first while the headwind was light. We made the turnpoint easily and then turned back south and had a fairly easy run for next 12 miles. At this point the lift seemed to disappear and Rick got very low a few times, but he fought patiently as he slowly made his way south. Finally at the town of Grenada the lift improved and he got up to 1000 meters just in time to cross over interstate 5 and head for the town of Gazelle. For the next 6 or 7 miles there was no lift until finally a mile or so from Gazelle Rick connected with a weak but steady thermal. We made the turnpoint at gazelle and then turned around to head North into the wind. Rick fought his way through the wind hitting small bubbles of lift but nothing good enough to keep the flight going. After over 3 hours in the air he landed out for a flight of about 38 miles. More than enough for his 50K pin. Great flight Rick!

John
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
Congratulations Rick,

Keep the event updates coming !

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellias View Post
.....After over 3 hours in the air he landed out for a flight of about 38 miles. More than enough for his 50K pin. Great flight Rick!.....

John
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2005
283 Posts
Today was the scheduled "Crew" Race. Although the official event won't start until tomorrow, today was a chance for crew members to fly in a competition. The task for the day was Start to turnpoint 2, then up north to turnpoint 9, back to turnpoint and then finish. Total miles was about 16. It seemed like it would be a nice simple task but the conditions made it very difficult. Very weak lift early and by the time the lift improved the winds picked up.

Only 2 teams made it off the field. Rick Shelby won the day with a tough 9 mile flight. Rick actually made it off the field twice. On his second run The lift was even better then his first run but the wind was much stronger. He got about 5 miles out flying into a strong headwind. Each time he hit a thermal he drifted back a a mile or so while gaining altitude only to lose it all again trying to make headway into the wind. After 3 times thermalling up to 600 meters without being able to make any forward progress he landed out.

Bruce Moore also made off the field but landed out at Turnpoint 2.

Tomorrow will be the first day of the official contest.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
The Truth About Radio Controlled Cross-Country Soaring (5 min 2 sec)
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Team Horizon
United States, CA, Montague
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Today was the first day of competition for the Montague Cup. We flew a 33.8 mile course. The normal Airport Rd. start line to TP 2 to TP 9 to TP 6, then back to TP 2 and to the finish at Airport Rd. The key to doing well was to leave late enough that the thermals were strong but early enough to finish before the north wind came up. I was spotting for John Ellias and we started the course at noon. What little wind that existed was associated with the thermals. Most of the thermals were as they have been all week - weak to moderate in strength but very small, regardless of altitude. There was the occasional boomer but they were very rare and still very small in diameter. John did a great job of maximizing the lift from the thermals and was able to maintain a comfortable altitude for most of the course. After 3 days of not being able to complete a course we were concentrating on that aspect rather than all out speed. He got below 300 m a couple of times but we were able to read the ground signs to find nearby thermals and climb back to a good cruising altitude.

About 2 miles north of TP 6 on the way back to TP 2 we were passed on the road by Steve Henke and we realized that it would not be good enough to just complete the course, we needed to complete it in the least amount of time. Even though Steve had caught up to us he was much lower in altitude. As soon as we had enough altitude to theoretically finish the course we started our approx. 6 mile sprint to the finish. We found more lift over Montague and at TP 2 and on the final run to the finish line. This helped ensure we could make the distance even if we ran into the dreaded north wind. As it was the wind only seemed to be a factor on the final run and it was a quartering tailwind.

We finished the 33.8 mile course in about 2 hours 10 minutes. When Steve's team arrived they said their time was 2 hours and 1 minute. Dean Gradwell's team was the only other team to finish the course today with slightly longer elapsed time than ours. We will see the details tomorrow morning when the results of the GPS scoring will be available.

This cross country stuff is really fun and very educational. The MXC is a very sweet sailplane to fly with wonderful handling qualities and very good performance. And of course the scenery here cannot be beat. Another thing that cannot be beat is the hospitality of our host, Dean Gradwell. Everything here is first class and makes for a truly unique experience.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,923 Posts
Congratulations Rick, and my best regards to all the guys and most certainly Dean.
All I can say is I wish I was there. Have fun, stay safe, and keep the memories coming.
LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly