HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
You can search this forum for more tail wheel fixes. The most common one and the one I did is to remove the wheel from the fork, drill straight into the bottom of the fork and into the shaft about 1/2 inch using appropriate sized drill to accommodate inserting a carbon fiber reinforcing rod. Epoxy the rod inside the shaft. Cut the rod flush with the inside of the wheel fork, reinstall the wheel. I abuse the tail wheel banging into rocks on the runway and it has held just fine.
Thanks for that, sounds like a decent solution.

I ended up drilling both sides and screwing in threaded rod, then screwing both sides together.
It seems strong, but is now 'fixed'
I can't see it being an issue as the rudder has so much authority, even at slow speeds.

Seems to be a great model, let down by weak landing gear, which is a shame.
GadgetMart is offline Find More Posts by GadgetMart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
BOMB BREAKER
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
Am I biased as a US Marine, or does the Corsair have some of the most interesting history? I just finished reading a story about a Marine Pilot from VMF 312 getting a kill by chopping off the tail of an enemy fighter after his guns jammed. Maybe the Marines just do a really good job of preserving their history.
http://www.vmf-222.com/index.php?opt...d=23&Itemid=97
For those interested in the history of the plane they are flying, here is a well composed website with tons of information and links to additional websites about our Corsair
EOD_Pete is offline Find More Posts by EOD_Pete
Last edited by EOD_Pete; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
France, IdF, La Roche-Guyon
Joined Oct 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathergoat View Post
ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh

metal trunnion upgrades for mini size at PWRC

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/3006

I ordered a set of the plastic one's just in case but it looks like the real deal.
hi there!
just received my own F4U last week and am already in love to this wonderfull lil'thing after 3 flights!

concerning the LG, Fathergoat, did you receive the metal trunion you ordered at PWRC? does it fit to the original LG of the Corsair, as a replacement for the original plastic one ? think im gonna order 'em if it does, but a last question, isnt there a risk to see the wing break in the LG attachment point area on rudes landings if the trunion doesnt act as a fusible (fuse? i am french so sorry if there are mistakes)...?
MrGloriousfall is offline Find More Posts by MrGloriousfall
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
I'm expecting it any day now. when it arrives I will post pictures.
fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:51 AM
France, IdF, La Roche-Guyon
Joined Oct 2011
61 Posts
well... after 13 flights with 3 differents 3s 2200mah, i 've already got some issues during landings.

the first one is that i've break the plastic trunion of the stock LG , i came to the ground with too much speed, the wind was near 90° to the road i landed, excessive speed +cross wind= trunion break, that was my fault...

the second one, wrong evaluation of the time spend in the air = no power as i was only 10meters high too far from the road i had to land on, so belly landing in a ploughed field ... i broke the 2 ears of a LG and the oil tanks i was carrying for the first time. it was still my fault

the last one was because of the battery weight, as i said i have 3 differents battery, one is 207g, the second is 188g, and the last (the one i ordered with the plane) is 170g. i would say that we shouldnt use a battery thats less than 200g. with the 207g one, stalls are easy and in the axe of the fly, the plane swing from left to right before it happens. if stall happen in that condition, its because you wanted him to. with the 170g one , when the plane stall , it goes in a spin and dont swing at all before . thats what happened as i was flying way to low and far from the landing zone with the wind coming from my 6... so i belly landed another time in the same ploughed field . this flight issue was 2 new ears broken and the tail gear too.

so 3 issues ( i forgot to say that stock proppeler has break during them) because of my only fault.

the plane is strong, except LG and prop, everything is fine. i repaired the tail gear (still have to test it) and had 2LG as spare so it will fly again tomorrow!
its a really great plane, a bit hard to fly for my poor flying skill...

FATHERGOAT, did you receive your metal trunnion?
MrGloriousfall is offline Find More Posts by MrGloriousfall
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,292 Posts
Chinese New year break basically ended yesterday so now if you order it won't sit. I don't think Phillip took time off though.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:06 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Chinese New year break basically ended yesterday so now if you order it won't sit. I don't think Phillip took time off though.
He did take some time off. On his web site home page he had a big note full screen size to say he will not be posting until the 18th of Feb. but he did say also that if you had an email equiry he would get back to you, just not as fast as normal.
Plus even if he didn't take a break he still would not have been able to send anything as the postal service closes down completely. Nothing in and nothing out!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:43 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,292 Posts
Yeah of forgot about Posty
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
I just got notice that my metal trunnions are at the post office and I can pick them up tomorrow. I'll try to have some pictures up tomorrow night.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
I flew the Cosair with the Stuka motor(850kv) today and flew well. Just worried if flying it with the 4 blade prop will hurt my ESC being it has 100kv more then the cosair Do you guys think ill be ok or do I need a bigger ESC?
meanangel is offline Find More Posts by meanangel
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,246 Posts
I'm joining the club soon.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:59 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanangel View Post
I flew the Cosair with the Stuka motor(850kv) today and flew well. Just worried if flying it with the 4 blade prop will hurt my ESC being it has 100kv more then the cosair Do you guys think ill be ok or do I need a bigger ESC?
The same 35a esc is use throughout the Durafly warbird range.

Shaun,
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanangel View Post
Easiest way to find out is put it on a watt meter!!
If you are at the stage of swapping motors and props you should have a watt meter. Then there will be no problems. If you don't have a watt meter and a problem arises in will nodoubtedly manifest itself in the air. And that is not something anybody wants!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
The same 35a esc is use throughout the Durafly warbird range.

Shaun,
Yes but he is running a four blade prop on the Stucka's (3 bladed) 850kv motor!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:28 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Easiest way to find out is put it on a watt meter!!
If you are at the stage of swapping motors and props you should have a watt meter. Then there will be no problems. If you don't have a watt meter and a problem arises in will nodoubtedly manifest itself in the air. And that is not something anybody wants!!

Yes but he is running a four blade prop on the Stucka's (3 bladed) 850kv motor!!

LURCH
With my T28 with a 12x8x3 which has the 850kv motor (I hand launch and belly land) is not pulling any more than 28 amp static @ wot and it has been that way for the last 8 mths, but yes a watt meter test is the best way to go.

Shaun,
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
well I got my metal trunnions today and as promised here are some pics and my experience with them.

the metal trunnions next to the plastic ones I ordered just in case. the more astute might notice something a bit off.

for those that haven't figured it out I got two right feet If you still don't understand stay tuned.

the pin for the metal trunnion is screwed in, the original just pulls out with pliers. use a drop of loctite on the pin when you press it back in. you don't want this to fall out mid flight. let it cure then try to pull it out with just your fingers, you should be good to go. also use the collar to take some of the stress off that pin. a little loctite on the set screw is also a good idea.

I noticed one of the side pins is slightly larger than the other, a few swipes with the exacto cured that. once assembled I had another problem....

It was binding when it tried to close. the pin on the metal trunnions is closer to the inside than the plastic ones causing it to catch on the corner.

sigh, here comes the dremel...