HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
Don't sweat it Benny things eventually break. Hopefully after you parked it.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Maybe the grass is catching the gear on landings.

I've always used pavement. I can never find grass short enough.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Nah, I also use and prefer pavement. I'm going to use the carbon fiber sleeve idea and just work on sticking every landing. Or, at least, take extra care not to come down very hard. Probably my judgement is skewed. A large bulk of my landing experience, on gear, comes from an old dura plane I had. It wasn't known as the flying brick for nothing! That thing basically fell from the sky. It was like landing the shuttle. It had a very stout undercarriage. Anyway, thanks for all of the help.
Benny1234 is offline Find More Posts by Benny1234
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:42 PM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
In my opinion the landing gear is adequately strong. It holds up on good landings and one or two bad ones. But I wouldn't call it strong, it's definitely the weakest link. It sounds like you are coming in really hard or you are hitting potholes or something. After some practice I'm sure your landings will improve and you'll see less damage on the gear. You may try recording some of your landings and posting them here. I'm still new so I might not be of much help. But I'm sure some of the veterans could give you some pointers.
fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
I think that perhaps I will record some landings. I've got a new set of LG on order. I just want to clarify, though, they aren't breaking on good landings. They do, like you said, hold up to one or two bad landings. I think that the problem is that compared to some of the "bad" landings I've had on fixed gear, these haven't been THAT bad. But obviously they are pretty bad for these gear. I suppose what I'm looking for is retracts that hold up as well as fixed. Based on some of these responses, I don't think they exist. This airplane is an absolute joy to fly, though. Despite my LG issues, I would recommend it to anyone...
Last edited by Benny1234; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:29 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
NMessage
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:38 AM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
226 Posts
Hi Benny,
I've been having trouble with the LG as well.
I had the same issue as you on my first flight. Came too hot and hit a bump with one of the retracts, resulting on the shaft coming out of the trunnion and breaking where the rotating pin goes.
I fixed it by replacing the original shaft with a new one (music wire 3mm) and drilling a hole on it for the rotating pin. It worked like a charm since then.

After a while, I started having another issue. The head of the plastic trunnions (where the T section of the worm rests) gets shaven by rough landings, eventually wearing that part and rendering the whole retract unusable. I fixed that as well by filing the shaven section and gluing a piece of stronger plastic.

In any case, I do agree that this LG is a bit on the weak side. I was always concerned of breaking it, so I now made the LG fixed by adding a piece of strong plastic inside the retracts (replacing the worm with the T section).
This enabled me to concentrate in flying and enjoying my flights instead of being concerned about the LG. I can now practice landings in all kind of conditions.
When I get absolutely comfortable with landing this bird hands down, I'll put the retracts mechanism back.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mario
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scratch Build #9 - Gee Bee Z
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz View Post
Hi Benny,
I've been having trouble with the LG as well.
I had the same issue as you on my first flight. Came too hot and hit a bump with one of the retracts, resulting on the shaft coming out of the trunnion and breaking where the rotating pin goes.
I fixed it by replacing the original shaft with a new one (music wire 3mm) and drilling a hole on it for the rotating pin. It worked like a charm since then.

After a while, I started having another issue. The head of the plastic trunnions (where the T section of the worm rests) gets shaven by rough landings, eventually wearing that part and rendering the whole retract unusable. I fixed that as well by filing the shaven section and gluing a piece of stronger plastic.

In any case, I do agree that this LG is a bit on the weak side. I was always concerned of breaking it, so I now made the LG fixed by adding a piece of strong plastic inside the retracts (replacing the worm with the T section).
This enabled me to concentrate in flying and enjoying my flights instead of being concerned about the LG. I can now practice landings in all kind of conditions.
When I get absolutely comfortable with landing this bird hands down, I'll put the retracts mechanism back.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mario
Glad to hear I'm not to only one! I was going to try and use a cf tube as a sleeve over the plastic that holds the shaft but I'm hesitant to pay a $10 "handling fee" on a $4 piece of cf. So I was thinking of just wrapping that spot with a handful of layers of electrical tape. Might help to save the shaft. Hell, I've got several trunnions here from all of the gear I went through so if they get shaved down, I'll just replace them!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
Now see this is what this thread is good for. There are obviously people who have a broken part and just want to get flying again. It doesn't matter how it broke just need to find a way to repair it. I don't think we should get critical of peoples flying ability as in just scares away the lurkers who are then afraid to ask.
Benny, you must not live near any hobby stores there in FL. I''ll try and see if I have a bit of carbon tube that will work and mail it to you. 2" is probably all that is needed.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Now see this is what this thread is good for. There are obviously people who have a broken part and just want to get flying again. It doesn't matter how it broke just need to find a way to repair it. I don't think we should get critical of peoples flying ability as in just scares away the lurkers who are then afraid to ask.
Benny, you must not live near any hobby stores there in FL. I''ll try and see if I have a bit of carbon tube that will work and mail it to you. 2" is probably all that is needed.
I live near one but it's very small with an exceptionally limited selection of items and I'm almost 100% certain that they have no cf in any form. I've been there a good bit. They mostly stock stuff for cars/trucks. 2in would probably be plenty and if you have some with an ID of 7-8mm, that would be fantastic. If you've got some, let me know and I'll PM you my address and I'll cover shipping. If not, no worries. I'll rig something up.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
Flew this bird this past week and boy was it a treat!! Love the look of the Corsair as I was doing some low passes Cant wait to fly again as im hooked to this plane. I flew without the fuel tanks, id like to put them on but is there any diffrence in the flight or you dont notice it?
meanangel is offline Find More Posts by meanangel
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:38 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
I have not noticed much difference with or without the tanks. I think it's mostly psychological. You know -- your afraid to land too hard with the tanks hanging down, so you end up landing harder. Flight characteristic did not seem very different.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
137 Posts
Hi folks,
I have been playing with a gyro on the rudder.
Driving her up the street, tracks straight as an arrow.

Anyhow, the tail wheel has snapped off! Poor TBH.

I haven't crashed it, just taxiing.

I have removed the steerable tail wheel and fixed it straight. The rudders so big, it steers well either way.

I suspect that others will have broken tail wheels off, what are the fixes??

Ta.
GadgetMart is offline Find More Posts by GadgetMart
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMart View Post
Hi folks,
I have been playing with a gyro on the rudder.
Driving her up the street, tracks straight as an arrow.

Anyhow, the tail wheel has snapped off! Poor TBH.

I haven't crashed it, just taxiing.

I have removed the steerable tail wheel and fixed it straight. The rudders so big, it steers well either way.

I suspect that others will have broken tail wheels off, what are the fixes??

Ta.
This was my solution to the tail wheel problem!!
Here:-http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1992
A little bit of work and a bit more weight. But I'm happy with it!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:10 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
You can search this forum for more tail wheel fixes. The most common one and the one I did is to remove the wheel from the fork, drill straight into the bottom of the fork and into the shaft about 1/2 inch using appropriate sized drill to accommodate inserting a carbon fiber reinforcing rod. Epoxy the rod inside the shaft. Cut the rod flush with the inside of the wheel fork, reinstall the wheel. I abuse the tail wheel banging into rocks on the runway and it has held just fine.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot