HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Which vendor had it on display? I did not think there were any vendors other than HK selling it. And they were definitely not in attendance.
Same question... I was there, definitely did not see it.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
[QUOTE=wblacker;20356653]Here is a short video. I asked a walker who comes all the time if they would help me out. Also, sorry about the music, but its better than listening to us banter back and forth. Youtube has a bunch of music to use....

Nice flying.
I'm panning to maiden my F4U possibily this week if the package clears through customs quick enough.
I've never flown a propellor based plane and am concerning with the torque effect on takeoff. I'd like to be prepared before my first time out.
Did you have to give it much right rudder/right aileron? If so, which did you use, and approx. what percentage of throw? I presume this is done immediately after the plane is airborne only for less than a second?

thanks! Just want to do everything I can to keep my beautiful model in one piece.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TheCure; Jan 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
I flew this awesome plane a couple of days ago. It's a great flyer, no bad tendencies at all.
You have to be careful with takeoff though. It does require plenty of right rudder for take off at the beginning of your rollout.
Like with any other warbird, I ramped up power slowly, applying right rudder gradually as it gathered speed, and took off with a bit more than half throttle. I released rudder as soon as I was in the air and that was that.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:39 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
I flew this awesome plane a couple of days ago. It's a great flyer, no bad tendencies at all.
You have to be careful with takeoff though. It does require plenty of right rudder for take off at the beginning of your rollout.
Like with any other warbird, I ramped up power slowly, applying right rudder gradually as it gathered speed, and took off with a bit more than half throttle. I released rudder as soon as I was in the air and that was that.
Ahhh, exactly what I was looking for. I will be flying with much more confidence thanks to your descriptive response. Thank-you
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Oct 2007
384 Posts
[QUOTE=Hawker007;20364038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
That is a GREAT looking plane. Can't wait for my combo P51 and F4U order to get here...it is taking forever at the wharehouse...grin. 8 days since I ordered...and still not shipped out.QUOTE]

Don't worry my combo was ordered on 12/20/11 and the are still sitting in hong kong. I guess they'll get hear when they do.... Hope your luckier than me so far...
I ordered on the same day, the 20th. I have not seen mine yet either.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:46 AM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Sorry to hear the post office is being so slow. It drove me crazy knowing it was just stitting somewhere waiting to move.... I did find solitude in using the tracking number with the USPS and was able to know when the post office was going to deliver it. They ship it with a required signature, so someone has to be home to receive the package. The package sat in New York for about 4 days then moved quikly after is made it through New York.

As for rudder on take off, YES, just about full rudder on take off. If you look at my video, it takes off both times pulling to the left. A friend of mine recommneded shimming the motor a bit to the right to reduce the effect. It is funny, I have the P-47 and it does not pull like the F4U.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:32 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
394 Posts
I'm considering getting one of these, but I have a question:

What's the max. battery dimensions that will fit?

I've only got one 3S 2200mAh battery (came with my Flyzone FW-190). The rest of my batteries are 2800mAh or higher (the 2800's are 116mm x 37mm x 27mm @231g)--used in the FW-190.

I'd prefer not to have to buy a bunch of batteries if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:24 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
I'm considering getting one of these, but I have a question:

What's the max. battery dimensions that will fit?

I've only got one 3S 2200mAh battery (came with my Flyzone FW-190). The rest of my batteries are 2800mAh or higher (the 2800's are 116mm x 37mm x 27mm @231g)--used in the FW-190.

I'd prefer not to have to buy a bunch of batteries if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Cheers!
Randall
I use GenAce 2200's and it fits tight. If you go larger, you will need to do some trimming. The one thing about this plane is the prop. I does break easily if you strike something, but HK does not have replacements available. The last time they had them, they sold out in a couple hours and limited buyers to 2 props per order.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Oct 2007
384 Posts
well I ordered the Corsair and Mustang on the 20th of december, mine arrived tonight. I was highly dissapointed in the packaging, there was an entire side of the package that was exposed foam, needless to say it was smashed to bits. Luckily for me the airframe was still intact, and as far as i can tell, I'm not missing any components.

That said, I really like these airplanes. Good size, its about perfect for my flying sites. And initially they seem to be high quality products, hopefully I will get to put them in the air soon enough. They sure do look the part!
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:22 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Those of you that have the Corsair, keep an eye on the tailwheel. Mine sheared off on a relatively smooth landing. The pivot shaft is plastic. I was able to fix mine by drilling thru and mounting the tailwheel bracket back on the shaft with a long skinny screw.

I have also modified my flaps to be more scale. I cut the inner two sections and bottom hinged them with Blenderm. I used pin hinges doubled over between the segments to transfer the torque. They work great and make a big difference in the landing speed.

Next mod is to put some foam tires on the F4U and the P51. I fly off a dirt field and the little pebbles really bounce the plane around. This could have had an effect on the tailwheel failure.

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kasra; Jan 10, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:41 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKGT View Post
Saw this plane at the AMA Convention yesterday.. Looks great!
This plane was not at the show you must of saw maybe the Airfield 1400mm Corsair or the Airfield 800mm Corsair
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:23 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra View Post
Those of you that have the Corsair, keep an eye on the tailwheel. Mine sheared off on a relatively smooth landing. The pivot shaft is plastic. I was able to fix mine by drilling thru and mounting the tailwheel bracket back on the shaft with a long skinny screw.

I have also modified my flaps to be more scale. I cut the inner two sections and bottom hinged them with Blenderm. I used pin hinges doubled over between the segments to transfer the torque. They work great and make a big difference in the landing speed.

Next mod is to put some foam tires on the F4U and the P51. I fly off a dirt field and the little pebbles really bounce the plane around. This could have had an effect on the tailwheel failure.

Kasra
Hey Kasra, any chance of some pics of the mods to your flaps. I wouldn't mind trying it on mine when it gets here
Cheers
aspyrs is offline Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:27 AM
Keep em' flying!
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
147 Posts
Quote:

Kasra
Thanks for the hint! Also we need pictures of the flap mod... please

Lars
DC3_driver is offline Find More Posts by DC3_driver
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,291 Posts
Quote:

Kasra
Kasra,
Do you have any photos of the mod for full flaps. Thanks.
LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
394 Posts
Thanks wblacker.

Are you referring to the 30C (115.5 * 35 * 25.5mm), 40C (103*33* 23mm) or 55C (105.58 *33.53 * 24.27mm) 2200mAh 3S Gens Ace?

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l