HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
the pin is press fit so I removed that first.

I then drilled it out in progressively larger sizes until the aluminum tube would fit. I went all the way down until I hit a screw. Then I marked the length and location of the slot. If you try to drill it to size in one shot it's more likely you'll drill off center.

I used a dremel to cut a slot just big enough and cut it to length. Since mine were broke I CA'd them back into their appropriate halves.

After that I mixed up some epoxy and spread it in one half put the tube in and epoxied the other half on. I was careful to line up the slot while doing so. After it's set I just have to put the axle in and pop in the pin.

I don't know how well this will hold up. I think it should be at least as strong as stock, it could even be stronger, or it might break while taxiing. I wanted to use steel but what was available had a thick wall and wouldn't have left much plastic. It may however be a good candidate for a metal gear mod.
fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
Last edited by fathergoat; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
Thats nice work. The tube will definitely hold up and make it stronger..
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Just ordered one from HK. I like the size for easy transportation without taking it apart. It sounds like there is very little problems with this plane. I also have the Unique models corsair it is also a nice model. The only drawback to both kits is the flaps aren't scale, and need to be fixed.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Well the sleeve did/didn't hold up. It's no good for repairs. Upon landing the epoxy came loose and the plastic pieces seperated. The tube still held everything together though so it sort of worked. I may experiment with using it as reinforcement for new gear. It might not be able to fix broken gear but it may be able to keep it from breaking.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
What if, you wrapped the outside of the plastic with thread and epoxy. Kind of like a fishing rod line guide. Would that maybe keep it all together? Wouldnt be hard to do if done before putting it into the motor side. Looks like it could be done between the boss for the pin and the boss for the gear door screws???
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Last edited by comanch; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addition
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
What if, you wrapped the outside of the plastic with thread and epoxy. Kind of like a fishing rod line guide. Would that maybe keep it all together? Wouldnt be hard to do if done before putting it into the motor side. Looks like it could be done between the boss for the pin and the boss for the gear door screws???
Oh yes. That would work perfectly. That worked for me on a different project and is yet to fail...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
That would work awesome if they didn't break off right at the trunnion. So you really can't get any thread around that area. I'm still working on a solution though. I'm trying to come up with something that just about anyone will have access to do. I feel like the sleeve will be half of the solution I just need to figure out the rest of it.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
Thinking about it, I have never seen a break like that. You probably got a defective plastic part, bubble or something like that..

A new one will probably fix you right up and never occur again.

Just like all the original props used to break at the slightest glance. Now that has significantly diminished.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
the first set broke like that because I pancaked on a failed landing. the other one broke when I hit a small lip in the asphalt. I don't blame either one on the gear being too weak. the way I see it the gear is strong enough to hold up to hundreds of good landings and even a few rough ones. I'm just trying to come up with a way to repair it when it does happen or beef it up to make it more durable.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Would be nice if the trunnion thru pin area were aluminum from the factory vs plastic.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
There is a metal trunion version at pw-rc, just not in this size yet..

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...72ce204c08e912
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
231 Posts
Broken wheel rotating shaft

Anyone has any ideas on how to fix this?
The retract works properly, but the wheel shaft got broken in the union with the rotating axle (the little stick that goes out and makes the entire wheel rotate 90 degrees).
I was thinking of gluing or soldering another little stick made of a push rod, but not sure how to fill the rest of the shaft piece to complete the trunnion's internal length.
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scratch Build #9 - Gee Bee Z
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
You might be better off buying a new set.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,832 Posts
Yep, cheap and way less hassle.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
231 Posts
I will, but they are in backorder at the moment and I want to keep flying...
I think I managed to fix it quite good... Will see how it goes and post results later.
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scratch Build #9 - Gee Bee Z