HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Austang's Avatar
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
WooHoo mine has arrived, she's all together and she looks great, one small issue though, the rudder has a small bend in it, its not bad so I'll see how she fly's if we get some good weather soon.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Registered User
wblacker's Avatar
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
Finally go my F4U today. Put it together and took it out just prior to sunset. Flew a bit to trim and see how it flew. Flew great. The light was dropping quickly and it was a bit of a challenge to maintain orientation. (even with the lights) Brought it in and touched down on the mains with a very nice scale landing. She is a keeper! I like the scale and I liked how it flew. I just know it is a matter of time till I break a prop. The replacement props have been on back order for several months now. With the fleet of planes now available, Durafly needs to get hot on making replacements! Anyway, here are some shots of the plane. And yes, the horizontal stab is up side down.... I need to figure out how I am going to remove the epoxy without damaging the stab too much. But it does not seem to have any effect on how it flew.

Oh, forgot to mention the comparison picutures with the Parkzone F4U. It is a Parkzone, I just painted it a different color...
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
Finally made a maiden flight!
alpinemike's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
367 Posts
Nice photos!! Great looking model isn't it?
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered User
Downsouth's Avatar
United States, MS
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Nice pictures....so what do you get from 2 Corsairs mating I haven't been able to fly mine again and doubt i will be able this weekend Still loving just looking at it though!
Downsouth is offline Find More Posts by Downsouth
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:41 PM
Schwalbe
Junkers Jumo's Avatar
Australia, WA, Yokine
Joined Aug 2011
304 Posts
I just got back from maidening mine. The prop didn't make it into the air Very innocuous nose over while taxying out and I had a three bladed prop Replaced prop with a 12 x 6 two blader which drew about 23A and tried again.
Seems to have nice flying characteristics, the 12 x 6 prop didn't give much in the way of speed and it struggled over the top of loops. When I tried a slow roll the small amount of negative G was enough to dislodge the canopy. So I had to return for landing a little earlier than I had planned. With full flap it flies quite slow and you can bring it in with quite a bit of power for a slow three point landing. I tried another circuit and this time it tipped up on its nose towards the end of the landing roll. Iím pretty sure it would have broken the prop had the four blader still been in situ.
Unfortunately no photos, will try to get some next time. Initial impression is it flies well and looks fantastic!
Junkers Jumo is offline Find More Posts by Junkers Jumo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered User
danpos's Avatar
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
618 Posts
wblacker I installed the horizontal stabilizer the same way you did.
It would only go on one way. I tried the other way the first time I put it together and it wouldn't go.
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:27 AM
Registered User
wblacker's Avatar
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
wblacker I installed the horizontal stabilizer the same way you did.
It would only go on one way. I tried the other way the first time I put it together and it wouldn't go.
I think you are right. What made me think it was up side down were the small holes. They are on the main wing too, but on the bottom. I thought maybe the holes should be on the bottom. But looking back at some of the photo's, I can see the notch and groove on the stab that would only allow for correct installation. I guess it is installed correctly. Maybe that is why it flew so welll. In this case, it is good to be wrong...good thing I did not try removing it....
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:17 AM
wishing for Tomcat...
turbinefancy's Avatar
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblacker View Post
I think you are right. What made me think it was up side down were the small holes. They are on the main wing too, but on the bottom. I thought maybe the holes should be on the bottom. But looking back at some of the photo's, I can see the notch and groove on the stab that would only allow for correct installation. I guess it is installed correctly. Maybe that is why it flew so welll. In this case, it is good to be wrong...good thing I did not try removing it....
I suspect those holes are made by "jigs" that held a CF or GF rod in the foam molding process. Can you see or feel the rods (spar) through the holes in the wing and horizontal stabs?
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:48 AM
Registered User
wblacker's Avatar
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
Here is a short video. I asked a walker who comes all the time if they would help me out. Also, sorry about the music, but its better than listening to us banter back and forth. Youtube has a bunch of music to use....


20110106 002 (4 min 13 sec)
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
Registered User
Hink64's Avatar
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,189 Posts
Flight photos

I have to hand it to DuraFly - they really did a nice job on this one. Much sturdier than the PZ - more detail - more accessories for less $$$$. The sturdiness does add a little more weight - but the 4-blade prop does give it some giddy up and a little more cool prop noise. The only negative is the drop tanks are a little to delicate and probably wont last long. The full flap modification should be pretty easy - they did a good thing here by hinging on the bottom of the wing thereby eliminating the V-cut you would have to do if the hinge was on top.

Hink
Hink64 is online now Find More Posts by Hink64
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
I have to hand it to DuraFly - they really did a nice job on this one. Much sturdier than the PZ - more detail - more accessories for less $$$$. The sturdiness does add a little more weight - but the 4-blade prop does give it some giddy up and a little more cool prop noise. The only negative is the drop tanks are a little to delicate and probably wont last long. The full flap modification should be pretty easy - they did a good thing here by hinging on the bottom of the wing thereby eliminating the V-cut you would have to do if the hinge was on top.

Hink
That is a GREAT looking plane. Can't wait for my combo P51 and F4U order to get here...it is taking forever at the wharehouse...grin. 8 days since I ordered...and still not shipped out.

You got some great shots there. Wonderful scale pictures...
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Hink64's Avatar
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,189 Posts
F4U Attributes

Another note: The motor is surprisingly efficient with a four blade having done 5-6 minute flights and only using 30% of the pack (2200-30c). The lights are also very bright (not the typical dull glow I have seen) and can even make them out in the bright florida sun. The Cowl is relatively thick plastic for the first 1-1/2" and very detailed. A winner so far.

Hink
Hink64 is online now Find More Posts by Hink64
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:25 PM
Registered User
tmsn's Avatar
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Wow, amazing photos there Hink. That looks more realistic than just about any other Corsair ive ever seen.
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
turbinefancy's Avatar
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
663 Posts
+1. Looks like a real one in flight! Very envious of the putting green smooth grass.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:54 PM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
Another note: The motor is surprisingly efficient with a four blade having done 5-6 minute flights and only using 30% of the pack (2200-30c). The lights are also very bright (not the typical dull glow I have seen) and can even make them out in the bright florida sun. The Cowl is relatively thick plastic for the first 1-1/2" and very detailed. A winner so far.

Hink
Can you tell if the LED's are connected straight up to the flight battery or off the 5V BEC supply? My LED's are horrid dim from 5V, typically. Might be really careful putting 4S on these planes if the LED's are connected straight to the pack supply. That is how my PZ T28 is setup, since the 5V BEC on the Rx wasn't enough to even make the green/white ones barely glow.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Durafly 1100mm P-51D Mustang anj4de Electric Warbirds 4283 Yesterday 08:40 PM
Discussion Parkzone f4u corsair VS Airfield f4u corsair Hoopsta17_99 Electric Warbirds 54 Mar 16, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion Comparison between FMS 1.4m Spitfire or Durafly HK 1.4 Spitire Fidy$Trainer Electric Warbirds 5 Jan 11, 2012 06:36 AM
Discussion HK 1100mm P-47 captjoey42 Electric Warbirds 2 Nov 04, 2011 11:43 AM
Question ME-109, Spitfire, F4U Corsair, F4U Corsair, or P-51D Mustang, best flyer??? zippiz GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 85 Dec 30, 2004 11:32 AM